GDT: WCQF Vancouver at Predators, Joshua Tree vs The Cult. Friday, April 26, 4:30 PM Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I might be wrong here (and i'm repeating points already made) but preds are an experienced team built for round 1 grind, and have a better ability to win games with meat and potatoes. Canucks on the other hand have 3-5 games to learn how to overcome that and execute with their higher end overall skill. Some canucks have experience in that from the NHL or from elsewhere like silovs, and hopefully the rest are quick to learn. Mental hurdles than anything else, really. Playoff spotlights and firsts and home ice responsibilities for many (young) canuck.
What do you mean by meat and potatoes? We're keeping up physically, we just let in early goals in both games and played from behind a lot. If we take a 1-0 lead on the Preds, we probably smother them to death.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
What do you mean by meat and potatoes? We're keeping up physically, we just let in early goals in both games and played from behind a lot. If we take a 1-0 lead on the Preds, we probably smother them to death.
I was referring to defensive hockey, lots of blocks and goals off the rush and opportunity. I might be using a wrong term here? :laugh:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I was referring to defensive hockey, lots of blocks and goals off the rush and opportunity. I might be using a wrong term here? :laugh:
They are blocking a lot of shots because the Canucks are caving them in on possession time. The only goal that Nashville has gotten off of sustained zone pressure was the PP goal in game 1. Canucks haven't had opportunity to block shots because the Preds are burning them on quick turnover plays. That they will continue to have high shot block totals, doesn't mean the Canucks are above blocking a shot.

Reactions: HelloCookie

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
What happened to Myers last game? Injury or scratched? He should definitely be in the lineup over Juulsen.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
What happened to Myers last game? Injury or scratched? He should definitely be in the lineup over Juulsen.

He caught the flu or sth.

Tocc said he had the flu. I imagine you have to be pretty sick to miss a playoff game. Myers obviously has his flaws but he doesn't strike me as the type of player to miss games easily - durability has been one of his best traits as a Canuck.

Tocchet also appears to be under the weather, so I wonder how much of the team has been affected by it. If it is a team-wide issue, the extra day off here should help.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Playoff hockey is a story of soaring optimism, followed by crushing defeats--at least for the fans. Fortunately the players are more even-keeled. Their season isn't over until they've lost four games in a series.

Canucks actually played better in game #2 than most of game #1. But couldn't put the puck in the ocean despite controlling play for most of the night. It happens. But over a seven game series, the better team always comes out on top.

So if the Canucks keep controlling play and dominating the time of possession, they still have a better than decent shot to close it out.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
I might be wrong here (and i'm repeating points already made) but preds are an experienced team built for round 1 grind, and have a better ability to win games with meat and potatoes. Canucks on the other hand have 3-5 games to learn how to overcome that and execute with their higher end overall skill. Some canucks have experience in that from the NHL or from elsewhere like silovs, and hopefully the rest are quick to learn. Mental hurdles than anything else, really. Playoff spotlights and firsts and home ice responsibilities for many (young) canuck.

Eh, the preds got dominated in game 2. It’s not sustainable to give up that much possession and win the series

If the Canucks keep playing their game then they can win

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
My optimism remains high going into Game 3. Having no Demko sucks but Desmith didn't play bad, all three of the goals against were either a really unfortunate bounce (1st goal) or the fault of the players in front of him (Juulsen for #2, Petey for #3). Of course, a better goalie probably makes a save on at least 1 of those 3, but this team didn't execute well enough in front of him and that's more on the team than Casey.

Canucks have looked like the better team all series, they dominated the Preds in possession last game and it's just a matter of breaking the mental block and pushing through. They're doing the right things, just gotta make the necessary adjustments to improve the PP and get pucks to the net, and otherwise stick to the gameplan and they'll win this series.

Reactions: Nick Lang

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
lol

1714058766094.png

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
okay, okay, i think i figured out the Canucks 'problem'.
The problem that they've had all year.

So, from a team offensive skill perspective, they're pretty good, they're not the best but they're probably like a 8/10. however, they play like they're a 10/10 skill team.
Every offensive zone possession HAS to try to be a beautiful tic-tac-toe , or slick saucerpass that no one on the opposition will see commin ..... its like... okay, you're a pretty skilled team and you can score on those at a decent rate (hence the players point totals and goals-for in the season), but this 2024 Canucks isnt the damn 2000/2001 Avalanche.
When you dont capitalize on some high-skill , high difficulty plays, then you end up with 15 shots a game and hurt confidence.

I'm okay with the Canucks shooting wide on purpose looking for a tip, shooting for the endboards when there are 3 Preds between the shooter and Saros.... BUT, when you have a lane to the net, drive the fkin puck straight there. Either shoot and try to beat the goalie , earn your paychqe, or B-Line it to the net... stop with the super pretty set-plays ALL the time.... If they do that they'll end up with more shots, more offense and be less predictable when they do try a high-difficulty type play.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Read in the Province this morning (Kevin Woodley via Patrick Johnston) that he is out until the Conference finals.

If true, I feel horrible for the guy.

Definitely puts a damper on the team's expectations for this playoffs.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Based on the video a week ago of Demko and DeSmith hugging after the EDM game I assume he is also coming on the trip to support Casey

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Maybe not, but Demko doesn't let in that first softie. We wouldn't have been playing from behind going into the 2nd. Goaltending was a factor in the loss.
I would agree that Demko probably wouldnt have let in that goal right off the hop, but I disagree that Demko would have shut out the Predators. on Tuesday.

Demko was twice beaten cleanly above the glove side on Sunday..He's not infallible, but he's obviously a clear upgrade over DeSmith

Demko conceded two goals on Sunday, DeSmith conceded three on Tuesday..The team scored 4 goals for Demko. only one for DeSmith.

We're not beating any Western Conference playoff team, only scoring a single goal per game..It doesnt matter who's in net.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Demko traveling can mean one of three things:

• It's a good sign, he's able to travel, and doesn't need to do anything but rest
  • It's a bad sign, there's no reason to rehab in Vancouver because he won't recover regardless
  • It's nothing, no reason to read into it, he just wants to be with his teammates

I say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

Reactions: rypper and Peen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad