GDT: WCQF Vancouver at Predators, Joshua Tree vs The Cult. Friday, April 26, 4:30 PM Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
My opinion, guys....

It's too early for all of the doom and gloom. We absolutely dominated the Preds last night but they got the lucky bounces — we didn't. That's the way it goes sometimes. We're not down in the series. It's tied. If we keep playing the way we did last night we got this. The Canucks are the better team, and If we can solve their shot-blocking even just a little, again, we got this. This is where the coaching staff needs to come up with a plan that curtails Nashville's shot-blocking prowess, and I am confident that they will.

I got a good feeling about Demko and I base that on the fact that he finished game one and skated the next day. However, the rest of my opinion is based purely on intuition.

We should support Petey, not condemn him. Yes, he is struggling, but when people in all walks of life struggle they gain strength from the people around them who support them. That's what we need to do with Petey. He chose to make Vancouver his home and we should remember that. He is one of us, and I firmly believe that he will come around.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Does a PPG C during the regular season who is unable to elevate his game during the playoffs really mean that much to all of you?

Been watching the Canucks since 1998. I am over regular season success and points.

Ive been a Miller cheerleader, but he also looks like total ass so far.
I mean read the rest of my post

Reactions: rypper

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Last season Petey had a great year, points-wise. And admittedly he played some great two-way hockey.

But it certainly feels like his creativity and "skills" with the puck, including his ability and willingness to shoot, have markedly diminished since his rookie year / the covid bubble. I am not sure if it is due to over-coaching, nagging injuries, or just mental struggles, but Petey currently looks very little like the player that regularly dangled through defenders and past goalies, and convincingly scored 10 goals in his first 10 NHL games. You might say that it was because he was an un-scouted rookie, and teams didn't have the book on him back then. But look at Matthews - 4 goals in his first NHL game, and 40+ goals that season. Now he hit 69 goals this season. Matthews kept his rookie goal-scoring magic, and indeed improved on it. Pettersson hasn't.

I'm having a hard time imagining Pettersson scoring a goal like this one (from his first NHL game) in this series against Nashville:

But I fully hope he proves me wrong, scores a hat-trick next game, and makes me eat a mountain of crow.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Gotta say, tied 1-1 going back to Nashville with CDS in net is not an ideal spot to be.

Unfortunately, the Canucks will simply need to get luckier than Nashville if they're going to win. They should reasonably be expected to outplay them, but Nashville is going to convert more efficiently going forward. Given VAN's offensive scheme is to just spam perimeter shots and hope for tips/deflections, they'll need the bounces to be on their side.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
Petey has been steaming hot garbage since the new year, but we should still be rooting for him to hopefully get back into it soon or at least ready for next season. We've all seen what he can do and it's unlikely that these few months are sustainable and what we will we get going forward -- it would be foolish to try and move him for lesser players right now.

To me, the biggest dropoffs are his laser shots and stickhandling/puck control. These aren't skills that you just forget. It's probably a mix of mental and physical obstacles, but we saw it's possible for a guy like Boeser to pop off a few good lasers this year after slumping for a couple seasons. Like Boeser, maybe it will never get back to rookie season levels, but it's unreasonable to think this is the Petey we will get moving forward.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
We should play better come game 3, put game 2 behind us.

Also, PSA to Nils Hoglander…the playoffs have started, where you’ve been?

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Did EP get too bulky and that's what is causing an issue?

Almost like he's too weighed down (literally) and now it's impacting him mentally.
I think he's just not built for post season play, mentally or physically.

I think he has a very high end skill set and would not talk about him if he made 8M but 11.6M you have to posses all skills required to lead a team. He's a complimentary player who is being made in to a superstar because of our fanbase, managements and ownerships obsession with having a Mack, McDavid, Matthews type of superstar on our team.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
We should play better come game 3, put game 2 behind us.

Also, PSA to Nils Hoglander…the playoffs have started, where you’ve been?
To be fair to EP, this is part of the issue.

His wingers simply have not been good enough.

Atleast Hoglander was providing something and so, Tocchet could just rotate through various other wingers.

But most (including myself) thought Hoglander was ripe to do well in the playoffs. The opposite has occurred so far.

For his sake, EP's sake and the team's sake, hopefully he gets back on track

With all the doom and gloom about Demko, Winnipeg is also facing an early series crisis with Hellybuck. He is leaking goals all over the place.
Goaltending in the West looks like the 80's atm.

Thank Christ they aren't in the East where guys like Bob and Vasi put on an absolute clinic yesterday.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Preds in 6.

It was fun while it lasted. Between Demko's health, EPs mental weakness, and departing free agents, that 12 seconds the other night will be the high water mark for this core.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bruce_Boudreau.jpg

Look it, I have never seen a bunch of guys look so f***ing down when something bad happens. What are you guys? Like prima donna perfect that if you can't f***in' handle adversity?

So shit's not going right. It's not f***en' working the last 2 days. f***ing get your heads out of your ass and f***ing make it work by outworking the opposition.

You kill two f***ing men, and then we stand around and watch while they f***ing score here. f***ing yous come to the bench like f***in' this and when the power play it's not working so you're trying to stick handle, you're looking like this and not standing.

Outwork the f***ing guys!

If you want it, don't just think you want it. Go out and f***ing want it. But you're not looking like you want it, you look like you're feeling sorry for yourself. And nobody f***ing wants anybody that's feeling sorry for themselves.

You got 5 f***ing games. Surely to f*** we can deal with this.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

View attachment 858882

Look it, I have never seen a bunch of guys look so f***ing down when something bad happens. What are you guys? Like prima donna perfect that if you can't f***in' handle adversity?

So shit's not going right. It's not f***en' working the last 2 days. f***ing get your heads out of your ass and f***ing make it work by outworking the opposition.

You kill two f***ing men, and then we stand around and watch while they f***ing score here. f***ing yous come to the bench like f***in' this and when the power play it's not working so you're trying to stick handle, you're looking like this and not standing.

Outwork the f***ing guys!

If you want it, don't just think you want it. Go out and f***ing want it. But you're not looking like you want it, you look like you're feeling sorry for yourself. And nobody f***ing wants anybody that's feeling sorry for themselves.

You got 5 f***ing games. Surely to f*** we can deal with this.

A little harsh, but I'm with you. :thumbu:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I have zero emotional attachment to the players unlike many here which is why I am able to call it like it is.

1) He is physically weak.
2) He has a lot of ups and downs.
3) He is unable to elevate his game when we need him.
4) His on ice demeanor when something goes wrong is simply embarrassing for him and the team.
5) He is being paid to carry a line. Not need people to carry him.

Thats what everybody is seeing on the ice. Trade him as soon as possible.

This is your leader:

View attachment 858830
1) He might fall over, but he draws a shit ton of penalties, he's drawn as many penalties as Sidney Crosby (30 game minimum), at 32th in the league.
2) Every player has ups and downs. This is the same argument used against Bonino when he was traded for Sutter.
3) He has elevated his game when they needed him in the past.
4) That same criticism was levied against Miller last season.
5) He has carried his line in the past, just this season he hasn't.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
1) He might fall over, but he draws a shit ton of penalties, he's drawn as many penalties as Sidney Crosby (30 game minimum), at 32th in the league.
2) Every player has ups and downs. This is the same argument used against Bonino when he was traded for Sutter.
A lot of these takes from Bobby remind me of the trade Hughes talk a couple of years ago(even I was guilty of this, but lesson learned).

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
That's actually a pretty interesting stat. Thank you

Question: After hes drawn a PP over the last say...40 games how many goals has he scored on the PP?

Or we paying him to just draw penalties

A lot of these takes from Bobby remind me of the trade Hughes talk a couple of years ago(even I was guilty of this, but lesson learned).
I may certainly be wrong at some point but right now and over the last 12 weeks Im not.

I WANT to be wrong.

Reactions: AzNightmare

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
That's actually a pretty interesting stat. Thank you

Question: After hes drawn a PP over the last say...40 games how many goals has he scored on the PP?

Or we paying him to just draw penalties

I may certainly be wrong at some point but right now and over the last 12 weeks Im not.

I WANT to be wrong.
Why are you shifting the goalposts? You can look up the stats yourself. PP goals and penalties drawn are not the same thing or related to each other.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Why are you shifting the goalposts? You can look up the stats yourself. PP goals and penalties drawn are not the same thing or related to each other.
I said he is physically weak. Loses board battles, cant score when theirs a rebound because he is face planted in the corner.

You moved the goal posts and brought up drawing PP's so I shifted the convo to your topic.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Nashville wont park the bus at home. They will open it up, so I could see more chances off the rush for the Canucks. Expect the big boys to have a better game.

6-4 Canucks.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
We should support Petey, not condemn him. Yes, he is struggling, but when people in all walks of life struggle they gain strength from the people around them who support them. That's what we need to do with Petey. He chose to make Vancouver his home and we should remember that. He is one of ours, and I firmly believe that he will come around.
Yes we absolutely need to support him, and has been doing so for months now. We tried him with nearly all the wingers we have, Hoglander regularly, Boeser and Hog for a stretch, Garland for a bit, and various bottom 6-ers. We simply don't have anybody else worth trying, aside from Joshua. We gave him O-zone starts, all the PP1 time, exposures to Hughes, away from tough matchups, etc. We HAVE tried to support him.

And we should continue to support him, but now is not the time. We are not in the "lose a few games and we will still go into the playoff with home ice" stretch, we are now in a "lose 3 more and season is over" stage. The time to focus on ONE player is over.

I said this at the GDT yesterday, but I think we need to deploy Petey as a shutdown C now. Free up JTM and Lindholm line for offense. Petey is still good defensively, just plug him with Miki and Lafferty and ask them to shut down the Forsberg line. Let him contribute SOMETHING of value, because the offense/confidence is gone and may not come back this playoff.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Emotions are part of being a fan, and everyone can get captured by that.

I see a lot of posts do "emotional flooding." it's a psych term that describes people's impulsive "shotgunning" and a bunch of critiques that are out of proportion to the situation. "Oh this thing is shit" "the team is awful" "trade everyone"

That sort of things being thrown around. It's also never one thing that's wrong with the player, it's everything about the player that is wrong. They can't be good at something, they need to be equally or worse than everything else. I've fallen for this with the Myers critiques.

Reactions: Nucker101

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
PP and PK will be the difference.

Fully expect Nashville to get a number of hometown calls regarding PPs.

Nucks need to stay disciplined.

I also expect limited calls for the Nucks to go on the PP.

But when they do, they need to start capitalizing.

Team isn't generating enough 5 on 5 even with all that possession.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I said he is physically weak. Loses board battles, cant score when theirs a rebound because he is face planted in the corner.

You moved the goal posts and brought up drawing PP's so I shifted the convo to your topic.
His "physical weakness" which is what people see when he falls over a bunch, leads to a lot of penalties being drawn. That's a direct correlation between your point and mine.

You are going from "physical weakness" or "he draws penalties" to "well he can't score on the power play." Which has nothing to do with his abilities to draw penalties or his physicality.

This is why I accuse you of moving the goalposts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad