• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I mean I personally think that even if the refs missed a call and didn't see it, as long as there was actually a penalty, there should be a penalty on the play. It's when refs start to make calls over nothing just because one team invents one as a mode of gamesmanship that I think there would be a problem. Couture WAS high sticked and a penalty should have resulted. As much as it hurt us, it was the right call to make. I don't think it should be invalidated just because it wasn't seen. Especially with physical evidence to the effect of a high stick.

But that's all besides the point. In recent months the amount of times Gallant yells at the refs has spiked exponentially compared to last year (I mean it would have to given that he did it very rarely last year). It really feels like he yells about every call that goes against us. Whether it was a good or bad call. And I can understand wanting to be seen by your players as a guy that will fight for his team, but the human element of refereeing extends beyond human error. He keeps barking at the refs and the risk of negativity bias can increase.
I'm not arguing the validity of the penalty and there should have been a penalty based on what happened on the ice. However, if the referees missed it (refs do miss penalties) then there shouldn't have been a penalty unless it was a double minor since linesmen don't report high sticking penalties that don't result in a double minor.

The officiating that actually happened on the play was done in error and the Knights got screwed if you're calling the game by the rulebook and the Sharks got screwed because they didn't call it by the rulebook.

In honesty, DeBoer should have been in the ref's ear as much or more than Gallant.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
The number of people that care what Gallant does with the refs is surprising to me. Perhaps he didn't like the way they made the call, perhaps he doesn't like the calls they miss, perhaps he's just trying to get some emotion going on the bench. Who cares? It's not like he's got pennies in his pocket that he transfers from on side to the other when they miss a penalty on the Knights and moves it back when they miss one on the Sharks.

This doesn't even touch on the fact that a linesman isn't supposed to stop play and report to the referee for high stick penalties. He can stop play for the Couture injury, but if the refs missed the penalty (which definitely happened and they definitely missed) there's nothing I've ever seen in the rulebook that would make calling a high stick penalty appropriate in that situation, even if it happened. I'm guessing that was his real argument that everyone thinks is stupid and that he needs to shut up over, even though he's got a valid argument.

The act happened for sure, it was officiated incorrectly. I'm guessing that's his point.

Well you and Gallant are wrong.

The Linesman must stop play immediately and report to the Referees when:
(xii) When it is apparent that an injury has resulted from a high-stick that has gone undetected by the Referees and requires the assessment of a double-minor penalty. (Rule 60)

Reactions: goflyakite and Phu

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

(xii) When it is apparent that an injury has resulted from a high-stick that has gone undetected by the Referees and requires the assessment of a double-minor penalty. (Rule 60)
Did they call a double minor?

No?

Okay. :)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I think his point was that they couldn’t have done this because didn’t assess a double-minor penalty.

In which case, Gallant should shut his f***ing mouth because they literally should have assessed a double minor because there was blood on the ice.

Reactions: goflyakite and Phu

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Did they call a double minor?

No?

Okay. :)

Just for completion, the entire rule is:
The Linesman must report upon completion of play, any circumstances pertaining to:
(v) Major penalties (Rule 20)
(vi) Match penalties (Rule 21)
(vii) Misconduct penalties (Rule 22)
(viii) Game Misconduct penalties (Rule 23)
(ix) Abuse of Officials (Rule 39)
(x) Physical Abuse of Officials (Rule 40)
(xi) Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Rule 75)
Should a Linesman witness a foul (above) committed by an attacking player (undetected by the Referees) prior to the attacking team scoring a goal, the Linesman shall report what he witnessed to the Referees, the goal shall be disallowed and the appropriate penalty assessed.

And they don't have to call it a double minor. The linesman has to stop the play when he sees a high-stick infraction and a possible player injury. They can then call it just a single minor or a double minor after discussion.

Reactions: goflyakite

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Just for completion, the entire rule is:
The Linesman must report upon completion of play, any circumstances pertaining to:
(v) Major penalties (Rule 20)
(vi) Match penalties (Rule 21)
(vii) Misconduct penalties (Rule 22)
(viii) Game Misconduct penalties (Rule 23)
(ix) Abuse of Officials (Rule 39)
(x) Physical Abuse of Officials (Rule 40)
(xi) Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Rule 75)
Should a Linesman witness a foul (above) committed by an attacking player (undetected by the Referees) prior to the attacking team scoring a goal, the Linesman shall report what he witnessed to the Referees, the goal shall be disallowed and the appropriate penalty assessed.

And they don't have to call it a double minor. The linesman has to stop the play when he sees a high-stick infraction and a possible player injury. They can then call it just a single minor or a double minor after discussion.
But this was not a goal scoring situation as the rule alludes

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
But this was not a goal scoring situation as the rule alludes

That was just for completion sake. It has nothing to do with the play.

The play at hand:
Couture high-sticked and looked like a possible injury. Linesman blows it dead. They confer and assess whether that high-stick warranted a double minor or just a single infraction. In this case, they ruled it a single infraction. It's 100% by the book.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Ugh, I think the worst thing about playing Vegas is how much I hate the team but how reasonable and not irritating the fans are.

It’s so much easier to hate LA Kings fans (especially since I live in LA now, ugh.)

I genuinely don’t know what to expect in game 6 - I don’t have a ton of faith in the Sharks, but if they play manage to play this game in Vegas... well... I think there’s always a chance.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
Ugh, I think the worst thing about playing Vegas is how much I hate the team but how reasonable and not irritating the fans are.

It’s so much easier to hate LA Kings fans (especially since I live in LA now, ugh.)

I genuinely don’t know what to expect in game 6 - I don’t have a ton of faith in the Sharks, but if they play manage to play this game in Vegas... well... I think there’s always a chance.

To be fair, the Sharks outplayed the Golden Knights for most of game 4 as well. I hate to oversimplify things because it never works out this way but I really do think game 6 comes down to Jones vs Fleury. Fleury bailed us out time and again early in game 4 but has been pretty mediocre in the other games. Jones's series to this point has been well documented, but he has shown that he is at least capable of winning games. Should be a tight game where a mistake here or there could determine the outcome.

Reactions: Jargon

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Serious question: does Gallant hate Russians (for real) ?

Rumor was it that, he never really liked Barkov (half Finnish,half Russian), gave him lots of crap and didn't give him enough ice time/role, nor did like Kulikov either, when Gallant became Panthers head coach, his role got much smaller and his career took a nose dive.

Didn't give Mamin a fair chance, nor to Malgin for that matter (half Swiss, half Russian)

Barkov for one, has been a complete different player since Gallant was fired.

Columbus 04-07, Svitov was their only Russian, until Fedorov came,
everyone knows how that ended for both, or to all three,.. Gallant was fired.

Then the whole Shipachyov saga last year and now the whole Gusev thing, strange.

Why the F isn't Gusev playing???, you'd think, young(ish) international super star like him, at his prime
would fit to Vegas top 6, more than ever now, when Marchessault,Karlsson,Smith are struggling.

As much i like em Knights and think Gallant is a fantastic coach,
something might be going on with him and Russians. (is he a racist)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
To be fair, the Sharks outplayed the Golden Knights for most of game 4 as well. I hate to oversimplify things because it never works out this way but I really do think game 6 comes down to Jones vs Fleury. Fleury bailed us out time and again early in game 4 but has been pretty mediocre in the other games. Jones's series to this point has been well documented, but he has shown that he is at least capable of winning games. Should be a tight game where a mistake here or there could determine the outcome.

The crazy part of this series is that Jones has allowed 2 or fewer in more games than Fleury has.

Jones has obviously been the worst goaltender in this series but Fleury has also not been great.

Reactions: Seven0two

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
The crazy part of this series is that Jones has allowed 2 or fewer in more games than Fleury has.

Jones has obviously been the worst goaltender in this series but Fleury has also not been great.
He's been very human this series. Probably last game was the closest we've seen to god mode fleury.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Serious question: does Gallant hate Russians (for real) ?

Rumor was it that, he never really liked Barkov (half Finnish,half Russian), gave him lots of crap and didn't give him enough ice time/role, nor did like Kulikov either, when Gallant became Panthers head coach, his role got much smaller and his career took a nose dive.

Didn't give Mamin a fair chance, nor to Malgin for that matter (half Swiss, half Russian)

Barkov for one, has been a complete different player since Gallant was fired.

Columbus 04-07, Svitov was their only Russian, until Fedorov came,
everyone knows how that ended for both, or to all three,.. Gallant was fired.

Then the whole Shipachyov saga last year and now the whole Gusev thing, strange.

Why the F isn't Gusev playing???, you'd think, young(ish) international super star like him, at his prime
would fit to Vegas top 6, more than ever now, when Marchessault,Karlsson,Smith are struggling.

As much i like em Knights and think Gallant is a fantastic coach,
something might be going on with him and Russians. (is he a racist)
Racist isn't really the appropriate term if that's the case, but that's semantics.

Don't think Gusev is going into the Top 6 whether he plays or not, he's likely to go to the 3rd line once he hits the ice to start and we'll see where it goes from there. Gallant is very very hesitant to make lineup changes after a win and that's been his M.O. since he's been around. Since the Knights have won every game since Gusev has been with the team, there's not much else to read into it as far as I can tell.

He's also only skated with the team four days and is doing that transition to the small ice thing in the middle of (what was until tonight) a fairly physical series. We'll see if there's rumbles of Gusev getting time on Sunday.

One of the other issues is that since Gusev is likely going to the third line, he'll be displacing the penalty killer that usually plays that position on the third line wing whether that's Nosek or Carpenter, so there's some shifting that has to happen there with Nosek likely going to the 4th. Once you make that move, you've got to take either Carrier or Reaves off the 4th line and to the press box. As previously mentioned, this has been a fairly physical series and we're losing a heavy guy to replace with a little winger that doesn't play PK.

We'll see what happens in the coming days.

Reactions: Seven0two

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018

The first Hertl goal was a fantastic shot so I won't blame that on Fleury, even though he makes that save when he's on. The second goal was actually a nice save on Sorenson but he had no idea where it was and actually opened it up for Couture to knock in. The third goal itself was almost impossible to stop on that redirect but it was his shaky handling of the puck behind the net that allowed that play to happen.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
One of the other issues is that since Gusev is likely going to the third line, he'll be displacing the penalty killer that usually plays that position on the third line wing whether that's Nosek or Carpenter, so there's some shifting that has to happen there with Nosek likely going to the 4th. Once you make that move, you've got to take either Carrier or Reaves off the 4th line and to the press box. As previously mentioned, this has been a fairly physical series and we're losing a heavy guy to replace with a little winger that doesn't play PK.

We'll see what happens in the coming days.

I think this is one of the most important points in why Gusev hasn't had the chance to get in. Gallant loves two-way forwards that can contribute on the PK if necessary. The other thing is that he's fiercely loyal and I can't imagine a new guy coming in and jumping the line ahead of Carpenter even if Nosek were to sit. Of course, anything can be happen and we could look really dumb about this in a couple days.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think this is one of the most important points in why Gusev hasn't had the chance to get in. Gallant loves two-way forwards that can contribute on the PK if necessary. The other thing is that he's fiercely loyal and I can't imagine a new guy coming in and jumping the line ahead of Carpenter even if Nosek were to sit. Of course, anything can be happen and we could look really dumb about this in a couple days.

Well, I think, they always can trade him, I bet, there will be some NHL teams, that help Las Vegas to get rid of Gusev.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
Well, I think, they always can trade him, I bet, there will be plenty of NHL teams to get Gusev out of Las Vegas.

I highly doubt he's getting traded. I just think that it's unlikely that he gets into a game in this series. I do think that he is probably a big part of what they want to do next season when he's had time with the team and a full off-season to get acclimated. Coming over right now and burning his ELC probably has a lot to do with being able to extend him in RFA as opposed to him using his ELC next season and then becoming UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad