WCQF/PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | COL Leads 3-1 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
5BBB0CC7-F939-42DA-90EB-F8A06EF88F09.jpeg

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Wow before these series I thought Monahan was a good player but I haven't noticed him more than two times on a fluky ass goal and another play. Even when mac was just a 50pt guy and Monahan was doing high 50s low 60s how could anyone say Monahan>Mack? Mack may have not broken out yet but he always was noticable

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Every thing from the coaching to the players has been a complete train wreck this series. I've hated the Flames game since game 2 when we decided to stop hitting everything that moves. Our gap control and zone entry defence has been downright laughable and Novice level.

Was confident the Flames would pick their game up come playoffs time, but alas only 2 people did (Bennett and Smith). This is typical Flames history. Finish 1st in the conference and suck and choke in the playoffs. At least the older folks got to see us win a Cup 29 years ago, I was born a year after and have only witnessed failure and heart break ('04).

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
As an Avs fan, this thing ain't over yet by any means. Teams have come back from 1-3 to win the series. I was worried facing the Flames before the series started, and I'm still worried

Lol who are we kidding, it's over. The Flames have looked lethargic this series aside from a combined 10 or 15 minutes.

The Avs have been the hungrier team and actually look like they want it. I'll be cheering them on the rest of the way.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
I mean it’s not like kids in their early 20’s have more of a clue about stuff than teenagers anyhow. I just can’t see how someone could claim to have an understanding of this sport, experience in watching this sport and have the takes these guys have.

Sure, when the emotion replaces logic in analyzing the game, it becomes like the parent who feels their child does no wrong when in fact they are a menace.

And I do understand a diehard fan being emotional rather than logical, but that’s what it is.

The Islanders completely neutralized Pittsburgh and there’s a segment of fans blaming it on officiating.

The Blue Jackets completely outplayed Tampa and there’s a bigger portion of their fanbase blaming officiating.

None of those claims are based on reality. All three of these teams (Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Calgary) have had the crap kicked out of then to a degree that transcends poor officiating 10x over.
I forgot to put my address and blood type in my user name. Hilarious that people would think I would put personal information in my handle. God people are dumb..

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I forgot to put my address and blood type in my user name. Hilarious that people would think I would put personal information in my handle. God people are dumb..
It doesn’t matter. I’m saying I can understand if these takes would come from a young person. I can understand these takes coming from a diehard fan analyzing with emotion over logic.

There is no way a person emotionally detached from the series would come anywhere near seeing things in this series as you guys have.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Wow before these series I thought Monahan was a good player but I haven't noticed him more than two times on a fluky ass goal and another play. Even when mac was just a 50pt guy and Monahan was doing high 50s low 60s how could anyone say Monahan>Mack? Mack may have not broken out yet but he always was noticable

Well you are seeing one player play at his best, and the other at or near his worst. Mack is clearly the better player and always has been, but this is not a true reflection of the abilities of 95% of this Flames roster.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Lol who are we kidding, it's over. The Flames have looked lethargic this series aside from a combined 10 or 15 minutes.

The Avs have been the hungrier team and actually look like they want it. I'll be cheering them on the rest of the way.

Cheer for the team that knocked you out? I don't get that logic.

That's like Tampa fans cheering for CBJ the rest of the way or PIT fans cheering for the Islanders.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
It doesn’t matter. I’m saying I can understand if these takes would come from a young person. I can understand these takes coming from a diehard fan analyzing with emotion over logic.

There is no way a person emotionally detached from the series would come anywhere near seeing things in this series as you guys have.
I disagree. Columbus series yes apart from the first period of game 1. In this series Colorado dominated game 3 and that has been it. It could have easily been 3-1 Calgary right now. Easily.

kungfugazi

Sorgoi Foderev
Nov 11, 2018
QC
IDK, there's a part of me that puts more blame on Gaudreau than Monahan.

Monahan is what he is. A mini-Stamkos. A guy with a great shot and the ability to produce points, but on the other hand a guy without any real ability to drive the play. Much like Stammer, that guy has to have someone else on his line that does the work. That guy is supposed to be Gaudreau. That's not happening, he's not driving the play at all.

Has Monahan been good? No, but at the same time you can't expect him to be a puck dominant player the same way that a lot of top line centers are. I still think you can win with a guy like that, you just have to have the right pieces around him.

My expectations for Monahan were too high I think, for the kind of player that he really is. He's exactly as you described, although I was hoping that he would be able to reach another level, perhaps by makingbhim drive his own line, but maybe not.

Gaudreau's not playing his game, but to be fair, the avs are doing a great job taking away all his space.

Reactions: cgf

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Flames had a PP in each of the OT's. He isn't wrong. If they weren't completely inept under pressure on the PP this series could easily be 3-1. Flames also blew a 1 and a 2 goal lead with <5 minutes to go in both games leading to OT.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Flames had a PP in each of the OT's. He isn't wrong. If they weren't completely inept under pressure on the PP this series could easily be 3-1. Flames also blew a 1 and a 2 goal lead with <5 minutes to go in both games leading to OT.
He isn’t wrong that it could be 3-1 CGY right now, no. He’s wrong in his main point, though, in saying the Avs haven’t dominated the play in nearly every period of the series.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
He isn’t wrong that it could be 3-1 CGY right now, no. He’s wrong in his main point, though, in saying the Avs haven’t dominated the play in nearly every period of the series.
I don’t think you know what the word domination means. I guess you think it means struggling to take advantage of the 50+ shots a game and falling behind. Plus how many of those 50 shots were softies? I bet a good number....

When I think of domination I think of the Columbus series. Weird that.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If I'm Mike Smith, I'd be living and raise hell in that locker room. 37 years old, probably his last chance at a cup, he's been standing on his head all series and the team in front of him have left him out to dry every game.

Mike Smith could take any other team in the playoffs to the promised land right now, he's been that good.

Bill Peters is showing why he's a rookie playoff coach, he has failed to make any adjustments. How the heck does any coach in the playoffs keep the same lineup and same lines through 4 games when they have been dominated? Valimaki coming in was a good move but he should have been in the lineup from game 2 and I expect the exact same lines tomorrow night. The only line that has been showing up is the 4th line, yet the top 3 lines have stayed the same through 4 games? This lineup badly needs new faces and bodies coming in to instill some energy and heart into this roster.

Adjustments from game to game have a huge impact and you will never win the cup if you don't make any. The fact that James Neal is still in the lineup is baffling.

The lines need a complete shake up with Monahan and Gaudreau split up and Neal and Jankowski scratched for Czarnik and Dube, but we all know Peter's won't do it. I'd even shake up the d pairings, put Valimaki on the top unit with Gio and scratch Brodie and put Stone in on the 3rd pairing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad