WCQF Game 5 Knights @ Sharks | 7:00pm PDT | NBCSN, TVAS, SN, NBCSCA, ATTSN-RM | Elimination Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose

I dont think he's trying to take out hertl, looks like he just slips on the bad ice. It's sad to say, but Vegas has been more sportsmanlike in their losses by far than the sharks have. Not that I really care all that much, the games in Vegas though were embarrassing on that level (and every other level).

It will be amazing if this series goes 7. Happy for the extra day before game 6, sharks are pretty beat up.

Reactions: Seven0two

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The legality of that goal is still up for debate but it's not a debate I feel like having. That's why I stick with the concession that the extra penalty was completely unnecessary.

The point still stands that with or without that call, this is the same thing that's been going on since the very first time these two teams met. It's the only thing that seems to matter to you guys when your team plays Vegas. At least with respect to main board GDTs. Even in a 5-1 thrashing some of your fans were claiming the refs were trying to win it for Vegas.

Like at a certain point it reads less like objective analysis and more like a matchup specific culture or tradition.

And I've watched 20 years of this sport as well. Still feels like everything the Knights do is scrutinized with a fine toothed comb and only a couple of you have been willing to concede when something was missed on the Sharks or a penalty on the Knights was soft, or even letting that go, (since it's an unreasonable expectation) that there was more hurting the Sharks than just the reffing.

I mean I've rolled to your boards to see what you guys are talking about and the discussion is largely dominated by complaints about the goaltending, injury troubles, defense, and DeBoer. Yet when the conversation shifts to the mainboards all of that takes a backseat to talking about the guys wearing stripes. Like the refs are incompetent around the NHL. This is common knowledge. Has it favored us more than the other side? You can make a credible argument to that effect. Is there clear proof that the league is trying to rig wins for my team? Personally I'd say that's nonsense, but who knows how many of you actually believe that in earnest.

The point is there's far more going on in this series than the refs, yet it's all we talk about. Page after page after page. Whether there was a really egregious missed or bad call or not. There's always something and we're always gonna hear about it. Even after a decisive win. We're not sitting here talking about how well structured the Sharks passing was, or how sound their defense was, or how pathetic Vegas' hustle and passing was, or how Jones actually had a solid game. We're still beating the striped dead horse because that's all that seems to be relevant to SJS/VGK games.

It's because Vegas fans pretty consistently take any complaints about the officials personally and mock them to no end with sarcastic conspiracy talk when the bad calls are pretty clearly agreed upon by neutral fans. Erik Karlsson's trip on William, Marchessault's high stick on Couture...the call on these plays both drew the ire of neutral fans. Pages of neutral fans were in here complaining about the calls that went in favor of Vegas.

A few crucial, bad calls have pretty clearly gone in favor of Vegas in this series and they have generally had the better of things when it comes to the officials. I don't think the officiating has made the difference in any one particular game in this series. I don't think the officiating has made the difference in any one particular game in this series. But I do think it's damn bad and I do think it's generally favored Vegas this far.

I don't generally tend to get on the conspiracy side or refs screwed us side of things but I find myself on that side of it more frequently against Vegas than anybody else. I don't think it's why they win their games but I do notice it far more frequently against them than any other team.

Reactions: Phu

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I dont think he's trying to take out hertl, looks like he just slips on the bad ice. It's sad to say, but Vegas has been more sportsmanlike in their losses by far than the sharks have. Not that I really care all that much, the games in Vegas though were embarrassing on that level (and every other level).

It will be amazing if this series goes 7. Happy for the extra day before game 6, sharks are pretty beat up.

Naw, he distinctly cocks his leg back and out at Hertl. That was bush league shit.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The legality of that goal is still up for debate but it's not a debate I feel like having. That's why I stick with the concession that the extra penalty was completely unnecessary.

The point still stands that with or without that call, this is the same thing that's been going on since the very first time these two teams met. It's the only thing that seems to matter to you guys when your team plays Vegas. At least with respect to main board GDTs. Even in a 5-1 thrashing some of your fans were claiming the refs were trying to win it for Vegas.

Like at a certain point it reads less like objective analysis and more like a matchup specific culture or tradition.

And I've watched 20 years of this sport as well. Still feels like everything the Knights do is scrutinized with a fine toothed comb and only a couple of you have been willing to concede when something was missed on the Sharks or a penalty on the Knights was soft, or even letting that go, (since it's an unreasonable expectation) that there was more hurting the Sharks than just the reffing.

I mean I've rolled to your boards to see what you guys are talking about and the discussion is largely dominated by complaints about the goaltending, injury troubles, defense, and DeBoer. Yet when the conversation shifts to the mainboards all of that takes a backseat to talking about the guys wearing stripes. Like the refs are incompetent around the NHL. This is common knowledge. Has it favored us more than the other side? You can make a credible argument to that effect. Is there clear proof that the league is trying to rig wins for my team? Personally I'd say that's nonsense, but who knows how many of you actually believe that in earnest.

The point is there's far more going on in this series than the refs, yet it's all we talk about. Page after page after page. Whether there was a really egregious missed or bad call or not. There's always something and we're always gonna hear about it. Even after a decisive win. We're not sitting here talking about how well structured the Sharks passing was, or how sound their defense was, or how pathetic Vegas' hustle and passing was, or how Jones actually had a solid game. We're still beating the striped dead horse because that's all that seems to be relevant to SJS/VGK games. Like every fanbase complains about reffing. It's inevitable and expected. But in 11 years on this site I have never seen it dominate the main board discussion (such that it drowns out discussion of every other thing happening in the game) of one matchup of teams like it has with the Knights and Sharks.
I'm not entirely in disagreement with your point and I understand where you're attempting to come from but you also need to understand the other side . Your team flops around and gets calls while running people late, throwing constant picks and high hits but nothing is ever called. Fine, but you can't call it the other way either. That's the annoyance. Look at your boy tonight, throwing flying elbows when the games over....nothing . Meir got punched in the face, nothing (Kane got a 10). The trip on ek65 was a f***ing joke. Reeves hangs on people and smashes their head to the ice every other shift...nothing.

All that aside, Vegas plays an entertaining version of hockey and I don't fault it at all. I wish the sharks could do the same night in and night out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad