WCQF Game 5 Knights @ Sharks | 7:00pm PDT | NBCSN, TVAS, SN, NBCSCA, ATTSN-RM | Elimination Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
A close up of the ice...it was really shark teeth...get it?

shark teeth.jpg

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Because it feels like it's every game and then some really obvious stuff doesn't get called in our favor. It's frustrating especially when we have to look at Gallants ugly mug after every whistle because he's *****ing again
I mean I'll give you the Gallant thing. He's kind of getting on my nerves too. But (continued into next quoted post)
The officials have been **** on both sides but generally in your favor yes. And no, it's not close.

like of course it's gonna seem like there's more missed stuff against you're team because a fan is going to be focused on what is adversely or positively affecting their team more than the other. And that cuts my way as well. I try as best as I can to be objective when a call is missed on my team or a call that favors us is soft, but I miss plenty of them.

But it just seems to be such a domineering element to VGK v. SJS game discussions. After a win, isn't there something else worth talking about? All 5 of these GDTs have been dominated by talk about the refs. The reffing is no more incompetent than it's been in any other series, but this series' GDTs has been defined by what the refs are or aren't doing.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I mean I'll give you the Gallant thing. He's kind of getting on my nerves too. But (continued into next quoted post)

like of course it's gonna seem like there's more missed stuff against you're team because a fan is going to be focused on what is adversely or positively affecting their team more than the other. And that cuts my way as well. I try as best as I can to be objective when a call is missed on my team or a call that favors us is soft, but I miss plenty of them.

But it just seems to be such a domineering element to VGK v. SJS game discussions. After a win, isn't there something else worth talking about? All 5 of these GDTs have been dominated by talk about the refs. The reffing is no more incompetent than it's been in any other series, but this series' GDTs has been defined by what the refs are or aren't doing.
Because the refs are drastically different when the sharks are playing Vegas compared to every other team in the west. Take those gold colored glasses off for a few minutes

Reactions: SjMilhouse

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bad calls are bad calls. It seems suspicious that Vegas has gotten so many over the past 2 years.

But as for the Sharks, specifically, none of this would have really stood out again, except for the game 2 tragedy. Most bad calls are forgotten. The game two tragedy is one that many people will take some time to get over. Especially if vegas pulls off the upset.

And because game 2 is still fresh in many peoples minds, the refs are under greater scrutiny than normal, imho.

I mean yes. The extra penalty on Couture in game 2 was overkill and I've said that many times but keeping that in mind I still feel like it's important that San Jose had double the powerplay opportunites as Vegas, and Vegas scored on two of them. Like I don't deny that the call affected the game, but it wasn't the only reason San Jose lost.

And I'm sorry, but the scrutiny on the refs has been the same since Game 1. It didn't take 4 minutes for that GDT to devolve into a back and forth on what the refs were missing and what calls were bad.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Because the refs are drastically different when the sharks are playing Vegas compared to every other team in the west. Take those gold colored glasses off for a few minutes
So why can't I say the same to you? Except teal colored glasses. I mean that's a pretty bold statement to be making laced with convenience towards a specific narrative allegedly adversely affecting your team.

Could it not possibly be that maybe you guys are applying extra scrutiny because of fan bias or are Vegas fans the only biased fans in the NHL?

EDIT: And understand I'm trying to be as fair as possible here, but in doing so I think it's fair to try to assert that there's much more to this series with respect to men wearing skates than the ones wearing stripes. Yet that's all we seem to talk about in these threads.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

the refs have been bad to both sides but they have been a lot worse at critical moments for the sharks. so much so that they have been influencing momentum.

i dont know if its because gallants yelling gets to them or what but its a little ridiculous.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
the refs have been bad to both sides but they have been a lot worse at critical moments for the sharks. so much so that they have been influencing momentum.

i dont know if its because gallants yelling gets to them or what but its a little ridiculous.

I doubt that's the case.

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
New Zealand, South Island
I mean yes. The extra penalty on Couture in game 2 was overkill

The penalty wasnt just an extra penalty - it prevented the officials from reviewing the goal. The sharks came back from down 0-3 to take a 4-3 lead on a beautiful good goal. A stunning display.

Not only did the refs screw up disallowing the goal, but calling the penalty on top of that, when it was clearly not goalie interference, was the kind of bad call that people will remember 20 years from now. It completely changed the series. It would be hard to script a worse call - playoff game against rivals, one team accomplishing something that was historic, the high was so great! And then, in the blink of an eye, the nhl squats and drops a steaming turd on the collective 28 years of sharks fans. Not only was it an epic-ly bad call, it was a tragedy to happen at the point of time it did. I think SJ was just stunned from that point until today.

If the sharks win the series, the pain of that call will go away. But if vegas wins, it will be up there, for decades to come, in recalling worst calls ever in professional sports.

So just a few games after that call, in the same series, the refs make a call like the one on EK, which then gives Vegas another undeserved goal - do you really expect any impartial fan to not connect the two, much less biased ones?

Reactions: LoCo39

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
So why can't I say the same to you? Except teal colored glasses. I mean that's a pretty bold statement to be making laced with convenience towards a specific narrative allegedly adversely affecting your team.

Could it not possibly be that maybe you guys are applying extra scrutiny because of fan bias or are Vegas fans the only biased fans in the NHL?

How is it that every single VGK/SJS game dating back to the birth of this team been a ref rigged experience? Not once has one of these games been called fairly, or god forbid, favorably for San Jose.
Dude, I've watched 20+ years of playoffs with the sharks and other teams, this shit is absolute trash more often than not

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The penalty wasnt just an extra penalty - it prevented the officials from reviewing the goal. The sharks came back from down 0-3 to take a 4-3 lead on a beautiful good goal. A stunning display.

Not only did the refs screw up disallowing the goal, but calling the penalty on top of that, when it was clearly not goalie interference, was the kind of bad call that people will remember 20 years from now. It completely changed the series. It would be hard to script a worse call - playoff game against rivals, one team accomplishing something that was historic, the high was so great! And then, in the blink of an eye, the nhl squats and drops a steaming turd on the collective 28 years of sharks fans. Not only was it an epic-ly bad call, it was a tragedy to happen at the point of time it did. I think SJ was just stunned from that point until today.

If the sharks win the series, the pain of that call will go away. But if vegas wins, it will be up there, for decades to come, in recalling worst calls ever in professional sports.

So just a few games after that call, in the same series, the refs make a call like the one on EK, which then gives Vegas another undeserved goal - do you really expect any impartial fan to not connect the two, much less biased ones?

one of the reasons there have been so many upsets is because in today's parity filled league momentum is everything. teams have carried momentum into winning series and refs have been making bullshit momentum calls in favour of Vegas all series.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

The legality of that goal is still up for debate but it's not a debate I feel like having. That's why I stick with the concession that the extra penalty was completely unnecessary.

The point still stands that with or without that call, this is the same thing that's been going on since the very first time these two teams met. It's the only thing that seems to matter to you guys when your team plays Vegas. At least with respect to main board GDTs. Even in a 5-1 thrashing some of your fans were claiming the refs were trying to win it for Vegas.

Like at a certain point it reads less like objective analysis and more like a matchup specific culture or tradition.
Dude, I've watched 20+ years of playoffs with the sharks and other teams, this **** is absolute trash more often than not
And I've watched 20 years of this sport as well. Still feels like everything the Knights do is scrutinized with a fine toothed comb and only a couple of you have been willing to concede when something was missed on the Sharks or a penalty on the Knights was soft, or even letting that go, (since it's an unreasonable expectation) that there was more hurting the Sharks than just the reffing.

I mean I've rolled to your boards to see what you guys are talking about and the discussion is largely dominated by complaints about the goaltending, injury troubles, defense, and DeBoer. Yet when the conversation shifts to the mainboards all of that takes a backseat to talking about the guys wearing stripes. Like the refs are incompetent around the NHL. This is common knowledge. Has it favored us more than the other side? You can make a credible argument to that effect. Is there clear proof that the league is trying to rig wins for my team? Personally I'd say that's nonsense, but who knows how many of you actually believe that in earnest.

The point is there's far more going on in this series than the refs, yet it's all we talk about. Page after page after page. Whether there was a really egregious missed or bad call or not. There's always something and we're always gonna hear about it. Even after a decisive win. We're not sitting here talking about how well structured the Sharks passing was, or how sound their defense was, or how pathetic Vegas' hustle and passing was, or how Jones actually had a solid game. We're still beating the striped dead horse because that's all that seems to be relevant to SJS/VGK games. Like every fanbase complains about reffing. It's inevitable and expected. But in 11 years on this site I have never seen it dominate the main board discussion (such that it drowns out discussion of every other thing happening in the game) of one matchup of teams like it has with the Knights and Sharks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->