GDT: WCQF Game 4: Jets @ Blues l 8:30pm CT (FSMW, CNBC) l Home Team Has to Win Eventually...Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
All I want from 27 is elite shutdown D and move the puck up to our forwards.

If the Blues choke another 2-0 lead I will be done following this team, will become a Vegas fan.

Not very loyal, eh? So, you want to become a fan of a team that was given a ridiculously good deal as an expansion team, and made it to The Stanley Cup finals in their first year (legitimately-rather than due to The NHL having an "expansion team division")? A fair weather bandwagon fan. Someone who'd have left the horrendous Black Hawks of the early 1950s to become a fan of The Montreal Canadiens. Or a 30 year fan of The St. Louis Browns, tired of their losing by 1950, and switching over to become a fan of The New York Yankees. That would be like rooting for The Germans in WWII in their war against Poland.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
God damn it. I really don't know who to cheer for now. I mean I'll root for the Blues, I guess. But its just one series, and losing one of the biggest board trolls forever is the gift that keeps on giving.

See that's where you are mistaken. He IS the curse on the rest of us.
See thats your problem. You think people who are opinionated are trolls when in reality, they are the closest thing to realists this forum has. People like myself will always value the opinion of a person with a strong opinion over people who have none. Go listen to local talk radio today and see how people feel about this team Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Schenn or anyone else I have been hard on. The people who have defended their play are the ones in the minority, not this side.

We all have seen this movie before and we know how its gonna end because the same actors are in it showing the same mistakes they did years ago.

Reactions: Sushiko

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Not very loyal, eh? So, you want to become a fan of a team that was given a ridiculously good deal as an expansion team, and made it to The Stanley Cup finals in their first year (legitimately-rather than due to The NHL having an "expansion team division")? A fair weather bandwagon fan. Someone who'd have left the horrendous Black Hawks of the early 1950s to become a fan of The Montreal Canadiens. Or a 30 year fan of The St. Louis Browns, tired of their losing by 1950, and switching over to become a fan of The New York Yankees. That would be like rooting for The Germans in WWII in their war against Poland.
I have been following the Blues since I was a little kid. All thru the 90s and until now. I lived through the classic 95 Canucks choke, the Roman Turek collapses, the "flu" owning them in 2003 (sorry but that excuse was lame, they flat out choked) and the modern era. Everyone around the league looks at us in the playoffs ever year and laughs, seriously. They know they can go down severely and not break a sweat coming back because we will fold like a house of cards. I can no longer justify being a fan of them anymore if they choke again. The constant 2-0 lead chokes have taken their toll. It is like a girl who constantly cheats on you and tells you, "I wont do it again", then does it again in the same exact manner the next year. Blues are the biggest teases in the league and enough is enough.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I have been following the Blues since I was a little kid. All thru the 90s and until now. I lived through the classic 95 Canucks choke, the Roman Turek collapses, the "flu" owning them in 2003 (sorry but that excuse was lame, they flat out choked) and the modern era. Everyone around the league looks at us in the playoffs ever year and laughs, seriously. They know they can go down severely and not break a sweat coming back because we will fold like a house of cards. I can no longer justify being a fan of them anymore if they choke again. The constant 2-0 lead chokes have taken their toll. It is like a girl who constantly cheats on you and tells you, "I wont do it again", then does it again in the same exact manner the next year. Blues are the biggest teases in the league and enough is enough.
After looking at your new profile pic i just wanted to say, Hey Yo!

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Look the last two games were certainly not how anyone on this board wanted things to go. Game 3 in particular was our worst of the series. But it's all about adjustments, the Jets made theirs, now we have to counter. Series is 2-2 last I checked, so we make our adjustments and we go to WPG and we bring home a lead. The Jets are winning some necessary battles this series, despite that they still don't look like some herculean team that can't be defeated.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

With that attitude, I'm surprised you haven't "left" before now.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
With that attitude, I'm surprised you haven't "left" before now.
Ya me too. Its not a good look for a smart guy like me to have to constantly defend this team to friends, family, coworker etc. Its easy to be a Cardinal fan. People respect it. You tell them you support the Blues and they laugh and ask why. Even being a Rams fan was not as bad, atleast you could say hey we had 1999 and some other great seasons.

It is gonna change this year or I will become a Vegas Knight fan

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Such churn over one guy’s opinion.

Lots of Perry Masons lurking.
Let be honest, reason they are mad is because they know I am speaking the truth. Deep down, they know this team is gonna roll over and die like they always do. I wish it was different, trust me. I wish we had a Curt Schilling/Chris Carpenter/Yadi Molina type of leader on this team who would lead by example and literally push teammates across the finish lines, but we have not had that since Pronger left.

The ship has taken on water and it is sinking and sinking fast.

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
It doesn't matter if you agree, disagree, or are indifferent. The mistakes in the game are glaring. Some people think that it is irrational to follow this team, a team that has been unable to win, a team that crushes hopes of fans year after year. Well, for me, this sport and this team are my life blood, my escape, my passion. The team, the game, it does not define me, it does not make me a better man, make me money, and certainly has not given me joy. What I can tell you is, that I am getting older, and with each year that passes I tell myself I won't be invested, that it won't affect me, that it's only a game. Well, I'm sorry jack, but this blue blood runs through my veins, the crushing reality of staring another bow down does play a role in my day. I watched Turgeon score it OT to beat the Coyotes, I was at Gretzkys first game and a blue at home, I watched the arena get blown up, I've cancelled plans, called off work, and busted my ass to make sure I can see this team. I only ask that they lay it all on the line, that they play how they can play, and that someone comes out and tells it like it is.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Let be honest, reason they are mad is because they know I am speaking the truth. Deep down, they know this team is gonna roll over and die like they always do. I wish it was different, trust me. I wish we had a Curt Schilling/Chris Carpenter/Yadi Molina type of leader on this team who would lead by example and literally push teammates across the finish lines, but we have not had that since Pronger left.

The ship has taken on water and it is sinking and sinking fast.

I agree to a point. But it’s just 2-2. It’s a three game series now and the Blues just need to forget about games 3 & 4 and squandered opportunities. Heck Toronto v Boston is 2-2 and Dallas v Nashville is going to be 2-2.

My concern is leadership. I like Petro. I think he’s a good guy and a talented player. However, in my mind we miss the grit and leadership of Backes. That ‘15-‘16 run was about playing against tough Chicago and Dallas teams with a gritty, passionate, and physical game. We ran out of gas against the Sharks that year, but it was a good run.

The current culture has gotten better since the “failed to show up” and “failed to finish” ‘17-‘18 season and part of ‘18-‘19 season. However, the new pet peeve of mine is the casual mentality and lack of killer instinct. I know this team is trying to establish a calm, confident, no panic culture, but it goes overboard and there are patches of games were they lack killer instinct, intensity, and passion. Sometimes desperate hockey is good. This team needs to know when to engage in that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don’t understand the lusting over Backes and Pronger. What did we ever accomplish with them?

We were always in the same position that we are now with them.

Reactions: Sushiko

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Look the last two games were certainly not how anyone on this board wanted things to go. Game 3 in particular was our worst of the series. But it's all about adjustments, the Jets made theirs, now we have to counter. Series is 2-2 last I checked, so we make our adjustments and we go to WPG and we bring home a lead. The Jets are winning some necessary battles this series, despite that they still don't look like some herculean team that can't be defeated.

Agreed. I’m less negative today.

Bos Tor is 2-2
Dal Nsh is going 2-2

I expect Col-Cgy to go 2-2.

Reactions: mk80

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I don’t understand the lusting over Backes and Pronger. What did we ever accomplish with them?

We were always in the same position that we are now with them.
Did you follow Pronger's career at all? Anywhere where they got even above avg playoff goaltending, they went to the finals.

He literally carried 3 different teams to the finals including one team that used like 3 goaltenders in a playoff run.

What did he have here once he turned into a elite dman? Roman Turek, Brent Johnson and Chris Osgood

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Intangibles like LEADERSHIP
So how many Cups did their leadership win us?

I’m just pointing out how hypocritical it is to rip Pietrangelo left and right and praise 2 other guys that literally brought the same results as him.

Backes in particular, has become overrated among Blues fans. It’s like people are so blinded by their Pietrangelo dislike that they have just wiped from their memories all the terrible playoff losses the Blues suffered with Backes as captain. And we haven’t even lost this year’s series yet.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
So how many Cups did their leadership win us?

I’m just pointing out how hypocritical it is to rip Pietrangelo left and right and praise 2 other guys that literally brought the same results as him.

Backes in particular, has become overrated among Blues fans. It’s like people are so blinded by their Pietrangelo dislike that they have just wiped from their memories all the terrible playoff losses the Blues suffered with Backes as captain. And we haven’t even lost this year’s series yet.

I don’t dislike Petro.

I think his leadership style would work better with a highly talented roster. Our roster is good, but not great. We need more passion and grit from him. Just my 2 cents.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Lately Easton has been a man of few posts. But, his latest game summary was spot on.

... we can call trying to stretch the neutral zone a failed experiment as well. The Blues weren't good at it during the regular season, and they weren't good at it tonight. Winnipeg is doing a very good job of taking away the middle outlet, and the Blues aren't doing a good job of getting the puck to the weak side to beat the pressure and find the quiet ice. If the Blues can't find a way to get off the strong side cleanly on breakouts, they're going to continue to struggle hard.

I don't see the point in running an umbrella the way the Blues are running it. Having Tarasenko on the left wall completely defuses much of the threat it should pose (and yes, I know he scored from there). What's the point of working the puck from the right side when there's no one-time threat on the left? You get the puck over there, and by the time he corrals it and positions his body to shoot the defense has had time to shift. Without that quick-hitting weak-side threat on the left, the defense can overplay the strong side shooting lanes and threats. You still might be able to salvage it with some creative play below the circles, but we're not seeing that, either.

Yes the Jets have effectively clogged up the NZ center ice and we have failed to adjust. We could post up or go strong side weak side or load up a wing side. Jets also do their penalty kill much the same way. They take away our blue line shot by clogging up the center OZ. They don't mind allowing our wings perimeter non one timer shots all day long. Our umbrella top can't get a shot off from the point because the Jets shut down all the lanes. That's why Dunner is the better player to quarterback the PP. And as Easton stated; the coaches continue to deny our one timers by not off winging our umbrella. I was a little surprised that the coaches have never made this adjustment. Insane!!!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Ya me too. Its not a good look for a smart guy like me to have to constantly defend this team to friends, family, coworker etc. Its easy to be a Cardinal fan. People respect it. You tell them you support the Blues and they laugh and ask why. Even being a Rams fan was not as bad, at least you could say hey we had 1999 and some other great seasons.

It is gonna change this year or I will become a Vegas Knight fan

Why should you care what other people think of you? Does it make you look bad to root for your home town team just because they've never won The World Championship? Does it make you look bad because you are loyal?- because you were born into that fanship, and never left it to join the bandwagon of a team from a megalopolis which has MUCH MORE Money and prestige, and so almost always wins? ANYONE can find the most prolific winners and root for them. Is THAT laudable behaviour? In any case, sports fandom is leisure time personal choice. Why would you need to justify being a sports fan of a given team to ANYONE, as long as you're doing that isn't hurting anyone? So what if people laugh at you. It's not YOUR fault if they behave immaturely. If appearing to back "losers" would hurt your career, then, I can see that you shouldn't broadcast the fact that you're a fan of that team. But, I don't think very many people think The Blues have been such losers that people would make fun of their fans. They didn't have 3-4 DECADES of last place finishes, like The St. Louis Browns or Philadelphia A's, who still had loyal fans, who I have no doubt were the butt of jokes. At least The Blues stayed in St. Louis. We lost our team in Winnipeg because of economics. I can tell you that it's better to have a lousy major league major sport franchise than none at all.

The Blues had several pretty good teams, and have won more games in their history than lost. When they finally win, it'll be all the sweeter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad