GDT: WCQF Game #4 ★ Calgary Flames vs. Dallas Stars, 1:00PM CT ★ FS-SW, CBC, SN, NBCSN ★ Calgary Lead 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limp Dekes

Jun 27, 2019
They're saying Rads tipped the OT goal? I still think they should scratch him and put Robertson in his spot, I doubt we would've missed the opportunities Rads has had the last 2 games. Haha can you imagine scratching a mainstay player after he scores an OT winner? DO IT
Yea, I was just rewatching it, Rads had to have gotten a piece of it. And agree'd, I think him and the team would benefit from a Game 5 scratch.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Radulov is still a loser. I've never seen someone put so many pucks into skates and do zero with opportunities. Selfish player to boot.

I give Kling and Benn all the credit on that winner.

What was it 3 or 4 posts? Stars kinda deserved this one.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Surely Hanley has to be better than this

It's frightening how little they play and yet how noticeably bad they still are

Also it is COMPLETELY unacceptable to EVER have them on the ice together. It happened at least twice and cost us at least one goal. Just this game.

That is 100% on the coaching.

Reactions: Satan

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Shapiro said earlier even you were hoping to avoid a 9:30 game on Tuesday night ... hope for a Vegas win.

Not looking good.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
How do they so badly botch the easiest scheduling they’ve ever had

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Also it is COMPLETELY unacceptable to EVER have them on the ice together. It happened at least twice and cost us at least one goal. Just this game.

That is 100% on the coaching.

In sort of agree/disgaree with this..

On one hand yes it might be wiser to split sekera and fedun with a better partner..better for ice time, less 3rd pair liability.

But, i also dont mind that we tried to play to our strength..Heiskanen-Oleksiak and Klingberg-Lindell are two increasingly good pairs, dangerous. Its what gives the stars a significant strength, splitting them up to compensate for a bad 3rd lair is conservative and takes a strength away.

Im torn on the right option. But i cant critise the coaching too much for implementing the teams strength.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
In sort of agree/disgaree with this..

On one hand yes it might be wiser to split sekera and fedun with a better partner..better for ice time, less 3rd pair liability.

But, i also dont mind that we tried to play to our strength..Heiskanen-Oleksiak and Klingberg-Lindell are two increasingly good pairs, dangerous. Its what gives the stars a significant strength, splitting them up to compensate for a bad 3rd lair is conservative and takes a strength away.

Im torn on the right option. But i cant critise the coaching too much for implementing the teams strength.

It’s not hard to just rotate them through the top two pairings when someone needs a rest.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Watched game live just before Gurianov tied it 3-3 and I had to go to work. Was going to ignore my phone and watch the rest after work.

During my break I saw my father had called and left a voicemail, he usually doesn’t. Checked it to make sure nothing was wrong and then...

“Hey son, how about those Stars and that win”. A spoiler but at least a good one I guess. Of course I’m watching it, knowing they win.

Seriously though another SH goal against, defense is supposed to be their strength. On top of that they’ve actually scored 5 goals in two of the last three games.

I’ve recently said this but this team needs a coach; Bowness won’t be that guy no matter how this postseason ends. The FCC line can’t be the only one tied together as the rest are just shuffled regularly.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don’t know about you guys but I’ve been very unimpressed with Johnny and Giordano in these four games. Last season these two were some of the best players in the league, this series they have done nothing

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don’t know about you guys but I’ve been very unimpressed with Johnny and Giordano in these four games. Last season these two were some of the best players in the league, this series they have done nothing
Last POs guadreau also did nothing against the Avs. Not to sure about gio/can't remember.
But the Flames top line was a no show for Calgary last year as well.
From what I remember gio was pretty bad last PO as well.
Everyone knew they were a paper tiger last year though so it wasn't surprising

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I don’t see it happening but Harley should go in as bad as Sekera has been. Not counting the 3 SH goals Calgary has he’s been on the ice for 8 of the other 10. Harley and Johns should play, if Johns isn’t ready play Fedun. Just take Sekera out.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don’t see it happening but Harley should go in as bad as Sekera has been. Not counting the 3 SH goals Calgary has he’s been on the ice for 8 of the other 10. Harley and Johns should play, if Johns isn’t ready play Fedun. Just take Sekera out.

I vote for Joel Hanley. Seems to play pretty well with Fedun too

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Agreed. Let the kid(s) play. Give Harley like 8-12 minutes, put one of the top-3 D on the ice at all times, and play Miro half the game every game.

Reactions: DieselPig

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Agreed. Let the kid(s) play. Give Harley like 8-12 minutes, put one of the top-3 D on the ice at all times, and play Miro half the game every game.

Well the heavy minutes part is already happening. The problem is the few minutes the third pairing is out there together at all. There needs to be a solution for this. I obviously haven't been able to watch much since i just came back but even in the highlights its noticeable how much Sekera is in the picture when goals against happen.

Kind of sucks that its aparently not even possible to sneak in a couple of short shifts for the third pairing to give the other guys some some breathing room without massively increasing the chance to get scored on. It's almost the exact same thing as last years. The third pairing is a huge liability just with Sekera in Lovejoys spot.

At least this year there's 4 defenseman who can carry heavy minutes instead of just 3 last year .

Gotta find something for the third pairing. The team has options to try instead of Sekera . They should look to use them. Hanley , Harley , Bayreuther i don't care. It needs to be better.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm beyond excited for Harley, but it's extremely odd to hear people bemoaning defensive zone play and at the same time advocating for throwing him into the fire. This is the playoffs ... it's not time for development, and Harley isn't ready for the type of minutes you all seem to be advocating to throw him into. He's not going to stabilize that pair defensively. You're just substituting one defender who isn't polished in the defensive zone for another defender who isn't confident in his own zone. If you're talking about an injury to Klingberg or Heiskanen, Harley is a legitimate if not the best option.

The coaches massively screwed up in the Colorado round robin game. Throwing him in to replace Klingberg made some sense to support the PP, and then they never actually utilized the player. If you weren't going to use him on the PP, then you blew an opportunity to get a guy like Hanely some game action because he is a legitimate option for these minutes.

I think it was after Game 3 on Saturday maybe someone asked Bones about bringing in Robertson, and he said he hadn't played a game in months and it wasn't fair to throw him into a position like that. That's an incredibly dumb take IMO given the unheard of situation we're in playing in a bubble in August. I bring this up because if he's using that logic to not bring in Hanley when Sekera and Fedun have struggled so much ... geez I'm over this crap.

Bones seems to be a great assistant coach. You have to be to have coached in 5 decades and he deserves respect for that. His limited and truncated chances as an NHL head coach make so much sense after a few months running the bench in Dallas.

Reactions: Kipper 17

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Harley is probably not a good idea in Sekeras place i agree. Just someone who you don't notice too much when he's on the ice for his 10-ish minutes a night. Sekera wasn't even all that bad in the regular season , much better than Polak but since the games in Edmonton started he's just been terrible. Maybe its some haunted memories of his time with the Oilers ? Probably just too much time off or something . His lack of mobility is really really getting exposed.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
I think Harley would be a upgrade over Sekera or Fedun. The issue with replacing Sekera is I think Bones likes having him as an option on the PK. Harley has such a cool and calm presence back there and his ability to actually create outlet passes and make smart decisions will help with the Stars transition game keeping them out of their own end which something Sekera has been awful at. Harley won’t be like Makar or Heiskanen buzzing around out there, but he doesn’t need to be. He looked unspectacular in Colorado game, but he also didn’t make any glaring mistakes. That’s what we need. Sekera and Fedun have both been liabilities out there. Bayreuther also has that calm ability to move the puck up ice that I think would benefit the Stars. I wouldn’t mind him getting in the lineup either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->