GDT: WCQF Game #3 | Winnipeg Jets @ St. Louis Blues | "We coming home!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
You sound like chicken little. Petro is better than anyone of their so called #1 dmen and I would say Parayko is better than at least 2 of them. Blues nearly had 2x 30 goal scorers and that was with us literally being the worst team in the league at one point. Perron/Schenn and Schwartz all have the ability to hit 30 but couple that with our outrageously terrible first half and then injuries to 2 of them on top of that you can see why they didn't. Binnington if flat out better than Hellybuck and if you want to claim that not a single one of those goals last night was a fluke then you didn't watch the game. At least 2 of them were deflected in by our own Dmen, one was deflected in off a skate and as you can see by officiating it's literally a 50/50 whether than was called back or not and then the bank shot off of Binningtons head from below the goal line. I mean if the bank shot isn't a fluke I don't know what the **** is because if it was a normal shot players would do it all the time. That **** was just weird and unfortunate. Don't get me wrong, the shot was great and it was a smart play.

So about this Laine. He scored 18 goals in 12 games. 5 of which was against the Blues. That means the rest of the season he scored 12 in 70 games. There are much more dangerous players on the Jets than Laine. He's a great goal scorer and he has a great shot. I just don't see him being as dangerous as Wheeler when it comes to the game. Wheeler could create something out of nothing and score but Laine needs someone else to do the creating while we forget he's there. Pretty sure the phrase I am looking for is one dimensional.

You need to look at the entire picture and not just a stat sheet. The Blues are not over matched by any means in this series like you want to pretend.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Is the sky falling?

Didn't think we would sweep them.

Didn't see the game (on a plane).

Did old bad habits creep back into our game?
I wouldn't even say they're old bad habits. Maroon almost tied it and Tanev wouldn't have scored right after. The team just laid an egg like NHL teams can do and I think they just need to move on to the next one and get ready to play their game again.

Reactions: JoshFromMO and mk80

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Is the sky falling?

Didn't think we would sweep them.

Didn't see the game (on a plane).

Did old bad habits creep back into our game?

If you deem living on past laurels (glory from winning the 2 road games), and taking the opponent too lightly, and so, not being ready to play the game, thinking that you can win by just stepping out on the ice because you are at home, and you have proved you're a better team than your opponent, then YES, old bad habits crept back into their game. The Blues felt cocky from their 2 wins, but, crucially (and unfortunately), they didn't accompany that with a determination to prove the 2 wins wasn't a fluke, and to finish off The Jets, using the hard work that's needed to accomplish that, even by good teams. That's an old bad habit of The Blues (the false cockyness that doesn't bring the killer instinct along with it). The "good" cockyness is the type that UNDERSTANDS that even if you know your team has stronger capabilities to play better ON AVERAGE than your opposing team, your team MUST work hard or they WON'T prove they are better.

The Blues didn't lose because the refs were unfair to them. they didn't lose because Binnington played poorly (his game was above average overall). They didn't lose because of poor ("unlucky") bounces (although they got a few). They lost because they weren't ready to play their winning game. They weren't working hard at the start, didn't adjust quickly enough, gave their opponent confidence, and a LOT of time to build up a "groove" (get on a comfortable roll), and it had them playing on their heels all game.

I hope they will be ready to play at the very start of Game 4, and come out working hard, determined to win that game. I think that they will. I don't think they will be able to dominate The Jets. I think it will be a hard fought game with both teams working hard, and could easily go either way (one goal game till the end (with a possible empty-net goal). Binnington is a better goaltender than Hellebuyck, and The Jets' free-wheeling offence leaves more odd-man rushes going the other way, which provide chances for The Blues. And The Blues can decide to put a "shadow" on Laine. So, i think The Blues have a reasonable chance to win Game 4. But, they better play it like it's Game 7. Win that game and put The Jets on the cliff's edge.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think this game is certainly the wake up call game for the Blues. I think we all wish we could have already learned from our past finding "killer instinct" problems and hit Winnipeg hard and heavy to go up 3-0 already, but I'm expecting some hard fought games from here on out. I said in another post earlier today, coming out and playing with determination and to the level we know we have, we still have a chance to go up 3-1 on the Jets tomorrow which is nothing to brush off. They have a good team, and while we've all talked about how Game 3 wasn't our best game, the Jets deserve credit too because they definitely made some adjustments to their strategy compared to the first two in Winnipeg.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Every team lays a bad egg every now and then. The key is if and how they adjust and change. Maybe the coaches should have the team stay at a local hotel and take away their car keys. Some teams come home and suffer from distractions. Like Petro probably walked into his house and was handed three beautiful babies and well you know the rest of the story. This wouldn’t be the first professional team to be in held in sequestration.

Reactions: mk80

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
Bad game, bad bad game, hopefully they got all the demons out and Tues will begin to close this series. Blues in 5.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
For all our statistics professors out there in lala land. How many wrap arounds has Maroon attempted and how many has he scored on this season. I can only recall one where the goalie was down and unable to recover.

Maroon’s third period wrap was not even close to going in. Helle had his stick and his leg pad tight against the post. There was nothing open between the puck and the goal line. Maroon wasn’t going to tie the game up with his puck deposit on Helle’s stick. Maroon is very predictable when he attempts a wrap. He never goes off the reservation on that set play. Never a variation. Goalies know this. Please stop the shoulda coulda woulda :bow: Maroon wrap crap. We had better opportunities then that.

You either didn't watch the game, were too drunk to properly remember the play or you are intentionally lying about it. Because the actual play wasn't even on the same planet as what you are describing.

Hell's pad wasn't even remotely close to 'tight against the post' as you claim. His skate was entirely inside the goal about a solid foot off the post. His pad was not sealed on the ices and he was not properly paddle down. Moreover, this was the exact type of situation where 'predictability' is completely meaningless. He did not attempt a wrap around on a goalie who was set. Helle misplayed the puck behind the net and Maroon was trying to stuff it in before he could get back into his crease. Here's a screenshot:

upload_2019-4-15_14-35-57.png

As you can see, there is tons of room there and Maroon's failure to score had little to do with the wrap around being too predictable. That's a goal if he lifts the puck or slides it on the ice about 3 inches to the left. He failed to execute, but acting like it wasn't a legitimate chance is disingenuous at best. The game was extremely close to being tied there and should have been tied.

Here is the link to the game summary. This replay starts a bit before 2:30. Feel free to watch it and try to explain how Hellebuyck was in control there due to Maroon's predictability.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm way less concerned about this game than the general consensus seems to be. We played poorly. No question about that. But that domination in the first 30 minutes or so was more than just us playing poorly. The Jets also played very well and I don't think that their ceiling is much higher than what we saw. Despite that, we were damn close to a 3-3 tie in the 3rd period. We finally woke up after the 3rd goal and made it a game. People are saying that the shots just evened out once the game was over, but that is just not true. On their 3rd goal, shots became 23-8. We then took 10 of the next 12 shots in the next 15ish minutes, with our 10th shot being the Maroon stuff where he failed to bury a puck on a mostly open net. We woke up way before the game was out of reach.

I'm not sold on Hellebuyck. He has looked beatable and a 2-3 goal deficit doesn't feel insurmountable against him. He is getting beat cleanly on shots when he is set. His rebound control hasn't been very good, he's making mistakes playing the puck and he doesn't look confident.

I expect us to be better tomorrow night and I don't think the Jets will looks as good.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
You sound like chicken little. Petro is better than anyone of their so called #1 dmen and I would say Parayko is better than at least 2 of them. Blues nearly had 2x 30 goal scorers and that was with us literally being the worst team in the league at one point.

So about this Laine. He scored 18 goals in 12 games. 5 of which was against the Blues. That means the rest of the season he scored 12 in 70 games. There are much more dangerous players on the Jets than Laine. He's a great goal scorer and he has a great shot. I just don't see him being as dangerous as Wheeler when it comes to the game. Wheeler could create something out of nothing and score but Laine needs someone else to do the creating while we forget he's there. Pretty sure the phrase I am looking for is one dimensional.

You need to look at the entire picture and not just a stat sheet. The Blues are not over matched by any means in this series like you want to pretend.

1. Try reading my posts. I have never implied that the sky is falling. I have simply stated that we need to respect the Jets.
2. Jets blue line is deeper than ours. We have a great D but Byfuglien earns $8 million, Trouba will be earning $7+ million after this summer, Morrissey is at $6.3 million on a bridge contract and Meyers is at $5.5 million and that was for a contract signed 7yrs ago. Not that salary means you are worth it but for the most part it is a good indicator of your market value. Jets have a strong D.
3. Perhaps you missed the memo. Laine is an amazing goal scorer. 4th most goals in the history of the NHL for a 19yr old. He already broke 100 goals and he just turned 20. At 30 goals for this year it is his worst season to date. It would be nice to have players who we could classify as having a disastrous season at 30 goals, lol. His two way play is significantly better than last year so I would hardly call him a one dimensional player. He is not a liability floating around looking for easy goals when he is actually back checking helping to support the D when he is without the puck. Laine is a very streaky scorer and we need to ensure that his confidence is taking a hit because if he gets it back during our series he can really make us pay. We just need to make things difficult for him.
4. You talk like we can just crush anyone at will. Perhaps you haven’t noticed we were schooled last game. I am just pointing out we need to stick to our systems, stick to our structure and play 60min as this team can make us pay if we don’t.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Good Lord gang, WE are up 2-1, people are making it sound like we're 0-3, knock that nonsense off! We in this and we we will take down the Jets.

I believe!

#ibleedblue #fcukthejets

Reactions: mk80 and JoshFromMO

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
Let's face it, there was a lot of pressure coming in to that game for both teams. Everyone was gripping their sticks a little tighter than they needed to. It happens! Mistakes happen! What really is the measure of someone isn't IF they make a mistake it is how you recover from it. I believe that we will see a Blues team ready to go, focused and prepared for the game the way that the team has shown in the 1st two games. I may have been drafted to believe but I'm fully engaged. I'm here to cheer on the Blues and when that morning light comes streaming in I'll get up and do it again! (cause no matter what tomorrow is NOT the end of the Blues post season)

I Believe!

#IGotDraftedBlue

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Let's face it, there was a lot of pressure coming in to that game for both teams. Everyone was gripping their sticks a little tighter than they needed to. It happens! Mistakes happen! What really is the measure of someone isn't IF they make a mistake it is how you recover from it. I believe that we will see a Blues team ready to go, focused and prepared for the game the way that the team has shown in the 1st two games. I may have been drafted to believe but I'm fully engaged. I'm here to cheer on the Blues and when that morning light comes streaming in I'll get up and do it again! (cause no matter what tomorrow is NOT the end of the Blues post season)

I Believe!

#IGotDraftedBlue

Lock this poster up long term!

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
For me personally I was more upset during and about 30 minutes after the game with effort, etc. In reality the loss isn't a big deal, we are still up 2-1 in the series and have a perfect opportunity to win and take a 3-1 lead into Winnipeg on Thursday. I never expected a sweep and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the series goes to 6 or 7 games in all honesty, admittedly coming home with a 2-0 lead I got a bit greedy at wanting a sweep.

I think if Maroon scores on the wrap around attempt or even if we don't give up the goal that came right after I think we would have tied and took the game over to win it. I'm confident the team will put on a strong showing tomorrow to get a win. As it stands right now we need 2 more wins to take the series, they need 3.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I agree the refs definitely didn't cost us the game. I think they ruined the flow and diminished the 5 on 5 play.

Absolutely, we weren't going to win that game, but we shouldn't be tasked with killing a penalty just because Scheifele dove again.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Absolutely, we weren't going to win that game, but we shouldn't be tasked with killing a penalty just because Scheifele dove again.

I think Scheifele’s reputation on that one went against us. He is widely known to play fair and is not known to be a player that “takes a dive”.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Every team lays a bad egg every now and then. The key is if and how they adjust and change. Maybe the coaches should have the team stay at a local hotel and take away their car keys. Some teams come home and suffer from distractions. Like Petro probably walked into his house and was handed three beautiful babies and well you know the rest of the story. This wouldn’t be the first professional team to be in held in sequestration.

A very unlikely scenario. They are paid millions and are professional athletes for a reason. I seriously doubt his wife told her $6 million/yr husband that it is his turn to take care of the kids at 3am on a playoff game day.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
FRIESEN: Jets Laine giving St. Louis the Blues

Let’s just say that I am glad you are not a part of the coaching staff! Great assessment you gave, lol!

Literally nothing in that article contradicts anything I said. Go look at the goals Laine scores and then come back and tell me how he produces those on his own. Nearly all of his goals are from him being wide open and taking a pass from someone. Exactly like I said. If the Blues would stop forgetting about him then he wouldn't be an issue. They're letting a dangerous shooter drift around and get lost in the shuffle.

Oh I also love how the Jets D are better than ours because they get paid more. You're so brilliant in your assessment.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Oh I also love how the Jets D are better than ours because they get paid more. You're so brilliant in your assessment.

You seem to pick and choose what you like to remember. I specifically said:
“Not that salary means you are worth it but for the most part it is a good indicator of your market value. Jets have a strong D.”

I am pointing out that there are many teams that consider Byfuglien, Trouba and Morrissey to be #1 defencemen. Meyers was the #1 in Buffalo before being traded to Wpg and is now on the 3rd pairing. I happen to like our D. We are also strong but what is so difficult for you to understand that we must also respect our opponent? You realize they are also getting paid millions to win? They won’t simply roll over for us and let us take the 3rd win in the series, lol. We will have to earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad