GDT: WCQF Game #3 | Winnipeg Jets @ St. Louis Blues | "We coming home!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
We got completely owned. Binny took one off of his beany. We got lit up for 6 goals. Jets had a lot of high quality chances. All 4 of their lines were buzzing. The first 2 games could have gone either way. This was a complete blow out. On paper the Jets are a deep and better team. I hope we can pull it together. Maybe we can try and stay tighter on Laine before he goes postal on us again and turns into a one man wrecking machine. Keep on giving that guy confidence is a HUGE mistake!
On paper they're a better team for sure but they've sucked for the last 3 months. It was a bad game, bad bounces.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
The Blues weren't going to go 16-0. The Caps last year were on the brink a few times themselves before they won their cup. Did the Blues play sluggish? Yes. Is the top-line struggling? Yes. But people saying that Binnington isn't the answer and that the Blues were lucky to win the first two games literally right after saying we dominated them 5 on 5 and were only an improved PP away from a sweep, need to step away from the ledge.

Berube is a solid coach, Binny is a great goaltender. Hellebuyck isn't shit, he's not a good goalie right now. Get the top-line going, tighten up on the slot chances against, and stick a player on Laine and piss him off. Blues will win this series if they can do two of those things.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
The Blues weren't going to go 16-0. The Caps last year were on the brink a few times themselves before they won their cup. Did the Blues play sluggish? Yes. Is the top-line struggling? Yes. But people saying that Binnington isn't the answer and that the Blues were lucky to win the first two games literally right after saying we dominated them 5 on 5 and were only an improved PP away from a sweep, need to step away from the ledge.

Berube is a solid coach, Binny is a great goaltender. Hellebuyck isn't ****, he's not a good goalie right now. Get the top-line going, tighten up on the slot chances against, and stick a player on Laine and piss him off. Blues will win this series if they can do two of those things.
Dont know why Blues dont just play shadow with Laine. It obvious this guy is a Blues killer. In Football you see LBs play Spys on certain player all the time. Blues should always be aware with him on the ice. Unacceptable to give him so much space as they do. Look how little space Tarasenko gets in comparsion. Blues need to be much better against him, they make it too easy for him.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
After this detailed analysis, I change my opinion. I must have blinked when the wet willies were being given out. Damn. Why doesn't natural stat trick track swirlies and wet willies? :sarcasm:
Dude, the first period all 20 minutes was a complete Winnipeg domination. We barely had the puck except for the PP. They dominated us for at least a 1/3 of the game, is that better.

Reactions: sfvega

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
"On paper" bull**** needs to stop. They're better when we let them be better.

The Jets top 6 are solid. Three 30 goal scorers and Wheeler is 2nd in the league in assists. Ehlers might have 30 goals if he didn’t miss 20 games. The checking line of Copps, Lowry and Tanev is statistically dominant against every single team they play. The “bottom” offensive line of Perreault, Hayes and Roslovic have a combined 109 regular season points.

The Jets have three #1 defencemen in Byfuglien, Trouba and Morrissey. Meyers was a Calder winner and was Buffalo’s #1 pairing defenceman now plays on the bottom defensive pairing for the Jets! It’s not bull**** that on paper they have a better team.

The point being is that we can’t take this team lightly. We won the first two games through hard work but it could have gone either way. Game 3 they lit us up and completely dominated the first period. We were lucky to come out ahead by 1 goal. 6 goals on Benny. Not a single one was a fluke. All great plays especially that bank shot off his head. That was done on purpose and was an outstanding play. At least Helly is not playing lights out Vezina like he was last year. Laine with a lot of confidence scored 18 goals in one month - the first person since 1994! Give this guy confidence and he will destroy us.

We need to be realistic. It is our team game and our systems and structure that got us here. We have to show up for 60 minutes. There is no need to panic but this Jets team is talented and we need to respect that too.

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Dude, the first period all 20 minutes was a complete Winnipeg domination. We barely had the puck except for the PP. They dominated us for at least a 1/3 of the game, is that better.

Yeah, 1st period was not even close. 2nd either, really. Our offense showed life at the end, but our defense rolled over even more. Even O'Reilly who is one of the best defensive forwards in the league looked disinterested on that last goal.

Petro needs to actually wake up or maybe his time here is nearing a close. His defense is nothing special, he's almost never back where he used to play stellar. On the Jets breakout, he's usually up-ice and on (one?) of the goals given up when he was out there tonight, he was completely in no man's land. As great as Parayko has been, Petro has the ability to play that caliber of defense but either isn't healthy enough or isn't interested enough to play it many times this season. Never thought I'd say that about him, because he's been such a steadying force on this team since he was drafted essentially.

Can we stop calling the Blues every time a Jets player goes down? There have been some legit penalties, and we got a favorable call on that Buff/Schenn deal. But the refs always try to keep the calls close, so we'll get a PP out of make-up calls, but our PP is trash. Maybe just don't call Scheifele flopping, as he (and once Ehlers) have gotten 4(?) calls for essentially nothing. If nothing else, we've played VERY disciplined hockey penalty-wise these first three games, but you wouldn't know it by the amount of PKs we've had. And their power play is lethal. They're phenomenal. But don't allow them to play that advantage for calls on painfully light contact where a guy just dives. I don't even care about embellishment, just don't give them that opportunity off of nothing.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So it is looking like tomorrow is going to be a very busy day for me. I might be able to find an hour to make the GDT somewhere in there. However if someone else wants to step up and make one (remembering that it will be on the main board so it needs to be at least 3/4 assed) I would happily step aside for game 4.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The Jets top 6 are solid. Three 30 goal scorers and Wheeler is 2nd in the league in assists. Ehlers might have 30 goals if he didn’t miss 20 games. The checking line of Copps, Lowry and Tanev is statistically dominant against every single team they play. The “bottom” offensive line of Perreault, Hayes and Roslovic have a combined 109 regular season points.

The Jets have three #1 defencemen in Byfuglien, Trouba and Morrissey. Meyers was a Calder winner and was Buffalo’s #1 pairing defenceman now plays on the bottom defensive pairing for the Jets! It’s not bull**** that on paper they have a better team.

The point being is that we can’t take this team lightly. We won the first two games through hard work but it could have gone either way. Game 3 they lit us up and completely dominated the first period. We were lucky to come out ahead by 1 goal. 6 goals on Benny. Not a single one was a fluke. All great plays especially that bank shot off his head. That was done on purpose and was an outstanding play. At least Helly is not playing lights out Vezina like he was last year. Laine with a lot of confidence scored 18 goals in one month - the first person since 1994! Give this guy confidence and he will destroy us.

We need to be realistic. It is our team game and our systems and structure that got us here. We have to show up for 60 minutes. There is no need to panic but this Jets team is talented and we need to respect that too.

You sound like chicken little. Petro is better than anyone of their so called #1 dmen and I would say Parayko is better than at least 2 of them. Blues nearly had 2x 30 goal scorers and that was with us literally being the worst team in the league at one point. Perron/Schenn and Schwartz all have the ability to hit 30 but couple that with our outrageously terrible first half and then injuries to 2 of them on top of that you can see why they didn't. Binnington if flat out better than Hellybuck and if you want to claim that not a single one of those goals last night was a fluke then you didn't watch the game. At least 2 of them were deflected in by our own Dmen, one was deflected in off a skate and as you can see by officiating it's literally a 50/50 whether than was called back or not and then the bank shot off of Binningtons head from below the goal line. I mean if the bank shot isn't a fluke I don't know what the f*** is because if it was a normal shot players would do it all the time. That shit was just weird and unfortunate. Don't get me wrong, the shot was great and it was a smart play.

So about this Laine. He scored 18 goals in 12 games. 5 of which was against the Blues. That means the rest of the season he scored 12 in 70 games. There are much more dangerous players on the Jets than Laine. He's a great goal scorer and he has a great shot. I just don't see him being as dangerous as Wheeler when it comes to the game. Wheeler could create something out of nothing and score but Laine needs someone else to do the creating while we forget he's there. Pretty sure the phrase I am looking for is one dimensional.

You need to look at the entire picture and not just a stat sheet. The Blues are not over matched by any means in this series like you want to pretend.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So it is looking like tomorrow is going to be a very busy day for me. I might be able to find an hour to make the GDT somewhere in there. However if someone else wants to step up and make one (remembering that it will be on the main board so it needs to be at least 3/4 assed) I would happily step aside for game 4.
What it need to change from game #3 GDT?

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Is the sky falling?

Didn't think we would sweep them.

Didn't see the game (on a plane).

Did old bad habits creep back into our game?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Game of adjustments. Time for the coaching staff to make their adjustments for Game 4.

That was one ugly loss. We weren't in that game right from the opening face-off but with a few breaks could have had a chance.

Short memory boys. Tuesday is a brand new day, but it's do or die. The series is over if we lose this one.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Game of adjustments. Time for the coaching staff to make their adjustments for Game 4.

That was one ugly loss. We weren't in that game right from the opening face-off but with a few breaks could have had a chance.

Short memory boys. Tuesday is a brand new day, but it's do or die. The series is over if we lose this one.

Sorry, but if they lose Tuesday the series would be tied at 2.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
For all our statistics professors out there in lala land. How many wrap arounds has Maroon attempted and how many has he scored on this season. I can only recall one where the goalie was down and unable to recover.

Maroon’s third period wrap was not even close to going in. Helle had his stick and his leg pad tight against the post. There was nothing open between the puck and the goal line. Maroon wasn’t going to tie the game up with his puck deposit on Helle’s stick. Maroon is very predictable when he attempts a wrap. He never goes off the reservation on that set play. Never a variation. Goalies know this. Please stop the shoulda coulda woulda :bow: Maroon wrap crap. We had better opportunities then that.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Were we dominated though? Shots were even. Had Maroon slipped that one in, we would have been tied at 3 instead of falling 2 back a few seconds later on Tanev's goal. Its a whole different game if that happens.

We actually had more 5v5 scoring chances than they did. Expected GF% was right near 50% 5v5. They got more chances on the PP, but we converted more. The difference was they got the bad/lucky goals this game (we got them last 2), and they got a few. They did dominate sections of the game, but overall it was fairly even.

Nobody wants to see that though. They want hyperbole about how awful we are, so they feel justified in pissing and moaning.

That's fair. I didn't realize the numbers were that close.

It didn't look like it from my seat. Lol.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I have one mostly done that I could finish for tomorrow. It’s nothing too fancy but I would say I at least 4/5 assed it.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well Majority is right. The game was very close to being 3-3, and that would have been another 3rd period lead the Jets would have blown. They wouldn't have gotten that 4th goal at least. So even if they still win it's probably a 5-4 game and we are pressing harder at the end instead of 6-3. Or maybe the Maroon goal would have given us serious momentum and we take over.

I think the game may have swung in our favor if we tied it on that chance from Maroon. Sadly it was a scenario of a missed chance leading to a goal against for the Jets.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If it weren't for Binngton Blues are losing 6-0 after the first.
He definitely gave us the chance, and is a huge factor in why we went up 1-0. I think we could have really put them on their heels with a better first period, heck I think the Jets were frustrated as it was going into the 2nd down 1-0.

Reactions: HerpaDerp

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The officiating also didn't help. I'm certainly not one to the blame the refs but 10 PP in a playoff game? There was no way to get a consistent 5-on-5 play going because they were calling everything.

Reactions: Punished ROR

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
He definitely gave us the chance, and is a huge factor in why we went up 1-0. I think we could have really put them on their heels with a better first period, heck I think the Jets were frustrated as it was going into the 2nd down 1-0.
Ansolutely agree. Jets get frustrated very easily. Blues HAVE to score / get under their skin early every game.

Reactions: mk80

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The officiating also didn't help. I'm certainly not one to the blame the refs but 10 PP in a playoff game? There was no way to get a consistent 5-on-5 play going because they were calling everything.
I'm not going to say the refs cost us this game. We were outplayed in nearly every facet of the game. It was clear from the start that the refs were going to let all of the hooking and holding go, and the Jets took full advantage of that. I feel like we were a little gun-shy to do the same given that every time a Jets player fell down we got called for tripping, but that door didn't swing both ways. Maybe I'm a little salty, but I don't see how you can justify some of the calls that were made on us in light of two of the plays they let go (the boarding on 91 and the trip on 90) when we were on the PP late in the 2nd and buzzing.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not going to say the refs cost us this game. We were outplayed in nearly every facet of the game. It was clear from the start that the refs were going to let all of the hooking and holding go, and the Jets took full advantage of that. I feel like we were a little gun-shy to do the same given that every time a Jets player fell down we got called for tripping, but that door didn't swing both ways. Maybe I'm a little salty, but I don't see how you can justify some of the calls that were made on us in light of two of the plays they let go (the boarding on 91 and the trip on 90) when we were on the PP late in the 2nd and buzzing.

I agree the refs definitely didn't cost us the game. I think they ruined the flow and diminished the 5 on 5 play.

Reactions: MissouriMook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad