GDT: WCQF Game #1 | St. Louis Blues @ Winnipeg Jets | "So it Begins"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sanford was fine. Blaise is made of glass and mac does not have the skill, and fabbri is not a nhl caliber player at the moment.. Blues dont need to out physical the jets the blues need to outscore the jets.. no way lineup changes are made.

I didn't think Sanford was fine at all. I don't know if there's a better replacement or not so maybe he still plays but he definitely wasn't fine.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Just one game, but it went a long way towards answering my biggest question and that was is the moment too big for Binnington and the early results are a resounding no. You’ve got the trash newspaper the day before the series starts, Scheifele’s attempt to run him (by the way had no idea he was such a dirty player. What the f*** was that last night???) and then the loud building booing and he’s just as calm and cool and collected as ever. It wasn’t just in the saves he made, but just his puck handling. Never in too big a hurry, didn’t get flustered. Very impressive.

As for the rest of the team, I of course will never say anything good about David Perron because he’s a bad player who takes terrible offensive zone minors. If I were to say something good about him though, I’d mention how impressive and aggressive he looked on the forecheck and the cycle and really did a nice job along with his linemates. They were the first line to get going in the game. But of course, I will not be saying such things.

Didn’t love Pietrangelo or Schenn’s game for different reasons. I thought Petro looked a little tentative especially early on and he seemed a little off, as opposed to a guy like Dunn who seemed to be on his toes and aggressive throughout.

Schenn got lucky more than once he didn’t get called for retaliatory penalties, including right off the hop when Scheifele hit Binnington. It’s a very fine line and he walked it tonight, but he can’t let the emotion overwhelm his game.

And finally, cannot say enough about Tyler Bozak and Pat Maroon. Both were outstanding throughout. Bozak easily could have had 2 or 3 goals and Maroon continued his second half surge. If the O’Reilly line is canceling out the Scheifele/Wheeler line (did Wheeler even show up? Don’t think I heard his name once), then you’ve got to get something out of the other lines and tonight we did.

Good start, the pressure is now squarely on the Jets in Game 2. I think there will be an initial surge again, but don’t take stupid penalties and trust your goalie and by the second period, you might see a really frustrated Jets team that is doubting themselves, doubting their coach, and silencing their own crowd.

Win Friday and we might be looking at a shorter series than originally thought.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Pietrangelo was getting knocked around on his *** quite a bit which is unusual.

I completely agree all the pressure is on the Jets to not come to St. Louis down 0-2.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sanford had one nice chance which he just barely missed, but aside from that he was basically just a punching bag for the Jets. Hits aren't everything, but we do need some guys that can punish the opposing D on the forecheck and Blais is probably the best suited for that role.

Thomas had a rough start, which I expected, but he made some really nifty plays in the 3rd. The backhand pass behind the net completely fooled Hellebuyck and is a sure goal if Bozak doesn't backhand it right into his chest. The pass he made cross ice to Bozak was a thing of beauty, props to Hellebuyck for that glove save. If he can just get his cycle game going again, that line will be a force.

Speaking of that line, how about Patty f***ing Maroon. He's looked great the second half of the season, and he completely worked the Jets D on the game winner. Also it sounds like he was constantly chirping the Jets from the bench. Keep at it.

Game 2 will be tough, I thought the Blues could have been called for a lot more minors and we did get slightly preferential treatment on that front. I'd expect more Jets PPs in the next game, but our PK looked vacuum seal tight in the one opportunity they had last night.

Reactions: STLomacneko

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I would put Blais in for Sanford without thinking twice. I’ve been done with Sanford for a while now, and he might literally be killed if they keep him in there.

Reactions: Amberelise

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Sanford was fine. Blaise is made of glass and mac does not have the skill, and fabbri is not a nhl caliber player at the moment.. Blues dont need to out physical the jets the blues need to outscore the jets.. no way lineup changes are made.
Lol, yeah I don't understand why everyone is piling on the 4th liner who played 6:30. My personal preference would be MacMac but I am losing zero sleep over which one should be our 12th forward.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Lol, yeah I don't understand why everyone is piling on the 4th liner who played 6:30. My personal preference would be MacMac but I am losing zero sleep over which one should be our 12th forward.
I'm voting the one that doesn't visibly disappear after coughing the puck up because he is afraid of contact. The jets had him scared of being hit and he couldnt even get our blue line before coughing it up

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Well there was a period of time where the Jets had offensive zone pressure and he literally just floated around doing nothing. It's not like a 4th liner can't be responsible for a goal against. He can still be a liability even if he has little ice time.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Both goalies played really well. Blues were dominated in first 2 periods being chased and outskated and hit by relentless jets team. Binny kept is in the game with great saves and only down 1.

3rd period though, the jets looked tired, once perron scored to tie it up, the momentum shifted and it was all blues in the 3rd. Hellebuck robbed us of some chances and we hit a few posts but finally pitted in the second
The first 2 periods were pretty even. The Blues took the best Winnipeg had and it was close to a draw. I would give Winnipeg the edge, but it’s only because of one great Laine shot.

Here is Binnington’s response to Jets fans:

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->