Series Talk: WCQF: Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings - EDM Defeats LA 4-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
You are just full of bad takes starting with your user name

As a nuck fan I won't take the bait but I am looking forward to Vegas winning round 1 making your rant moot as a stars fan.

Hate to break it to you but your Canucks are as relevant as Washington Capitals these playoffs. Well they might win first round but just because Nashville is a joke too, and so are the the Kings. Weakest path to conference finals by far. If you don't see that, no problem it's just a lack of hockey knowledge.

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
What's the best game plan for the Kings?

1-3-1 seems silly without a franchise goalie to counteract McDrai. Right now, it seems like the Oilers are going to carve them up.

Physicality is a must from puck drop but they will need to be more aggressive. It's the only way unless Talbot goes into God mode.
IMO 1-3-1 and 1-2-2 setups are more effective in the playoffs compared to the regular season. Refs tend to penalize less on 50/50 calls in the playoffs and the Kings are exceptionally good at holding up forecheckers on the chip and chase. Its enough to buy some time but just not enough for the ref to justify calling it. This gives their first man back more time. It's not much but, just being able to get your head up could be the difference between a safe play and a turnover. The chip and chase is the default strategy when it comes to countering a trap system so. the more LA can slow down the Oilers offense the better their odds become.

That said, the Oilers have played well against a large variety of systems this year. They seemed comfortable in all types of games, ahead, behind and down to the wire. That combined with considerably better defensive play than we have seen in years past make them hard not to see as the favorite. It's not a slam dunk, LA will be extremely motivated. Outworking the Oilers is probably the easiest way to beat them. They leave their legs on the bench more often than I'd like. I'm a fan of the Oilers and I do recognize my bias, as hard as I try to look at the matchup unbiased there will always still be a little bit sprinkled in subconsciously so take this all with a grain of salt lol.

Reactions: Macheteops

cc

Feb 28, 2002
voted Oilers in 6 because Oilers are inconsistent in net and defense but if healthy, McD will pull them through

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Poll has not been kind to the King's. Given all the 'Oiler fans' on the mains.. I am amazed we got a vote. This series is going to be close. All 4 in the West will be.

I'm also confused by all the Oilers are terrible takes followed by if they don't make it to the Western finals then the season is a failure. Why would a shitty team it to the Western Finals?lol

iliketorock

May 23, 2021
The Oilers are 2 teams, the alright defensive play quick transition chance after chance Oilers and the awful defensive play puck in their zone forever tire fire grade A after grade A scoring chance against Oilers. I think Team A can take anyone in the league, Team B will get embarrassed eventually only to have the blow lessened by The Dave being real good at hockey.

Reactions: Macheteops

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Kings getting criminally underrated by the media, as if they didn't have almost have the Oilers at a 3-1 stranglehold last year and as if the 21-22 series wasn't incredibly close. This one will be no different - a tight series that will go 6/7 games.

Mar 26, 2010
Oilers get another free pass in the playoffs this season.

oilers in 5

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As a nuck fan I won't take the bait but I am looking forward to Vegas winning round 1 making your rant moot as a stars fan.

Yeah stars fans making me root for Vegas was not something I expected

While it's obviously hard to beat a team three times in a row and LA has better chances to win than they are getting credit for, there's something strange in this match up.

It's funny to be able to watch LA choke VAN to the point where they whine in the media after the game, but that belief doesn't seem to be there when they play EDM. Seems everytime they get a 2 goal lead they go back into their routine but rather than feeling like the game is over you feel like it's a matter of time until the lead is pisssd away. That's not a sustainable strategy if you're EDM, but it is a weird phenomenon.

Ever since that 3 goal implosion it's like the Kings have been broken mentally when holding a lead against us.

Oh don’t worry it’s not JUST against you guys. Kings have given up more two goal leads than anyone in the league This year. It’s just emphasized vs McDavid because the Kings sink back into the neutral zone and turn into spike strips while McDavid gains some speed and just steps over them while they go all surprised pikachu but change nothing

Kings sticking to the game plan that has them with the worst record vs playoff teams

1713637775267.jpeg

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Talbot has good stats, but he hasn't looked consistently solid in months.

There's no way LA can win this series if he's not playing his best hockey. The way he's played recently has not inspired confidence.

I'm really curious to see how Dubois plays. He's been crap 90% of the year. I've never seen a player in his situation consistently put in so little effort game in and game out.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016

Our best players are ancient and exhausted, we have zero on-ice leadership, we are easily dominated and intimidated physically, there is no push back or emotional response to the team. There is nobody to change the temperature of a game with a big hit. Nobody with any balls whatsoever. Punch them in the nose and take their lunch money. Their only response is tighten up defensively and that will never work against Edmonton.

These Kings are front runners who picked up just enough points against awful teams to make the playoffs. I have been a fan for over 40 years, and this is EASILY the worst Kings team ever heading into the playoffs.
Nice jinx post. Not gonna work.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Kings getting criminally underrated by the media, as if they didn't have almost have the Oilers at a 3-1 stranglehold last year and as if the 21-22 series wasn't incredibly close. This one will be no different - a tight series that will go 6/7 games.

The 23/24 Kings are significantly worse than those teams.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
The 2021-22 Kings, with no Doughty, no Arvidsson, Athanasiou not only on the 1st line but the 2nd best player on the 1st line, and carrying the corpses of Brown and Edler would wipe the floor with the current version of the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad