Series Talk: WCQF: Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings - EDM Defeats LA 4-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I hate seeing Kings fans so down and out.

Only Flames fans deserve that.
To even the most casual observer, this outcome was expected.
The people running our team are assholes and marc bergevin is a consultant.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s now actually an 83 game sample size.

We know our team. You guys keep acting like we’re trying to trick you or something.
Don’t get me wrong I think the oilers will win the series. LA will still grind out a game or two though. They aren’t on edmontons level but they are pretty good. It’s a shite matchup for them. Against a different team they might stand a chance but Edmonton knows exactly how to play them. Bad offseason for LA. That Dubois trade was so dumb.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The Oilers finished with 5 more points than the Kings over 82 games but yeah let’s pretend we are playing a lottery team.

They’re playing a 7th seed. Look at the conference standings.

The Oilers being a 5th seed doesn’t change the fact they’re playing a 7th seed. It’s a favourable matchup for them.

They should be playing Colorado on the road in a 1-8 format. Vegas’ cheating tactics helped them this year because it took them out of the Pacific bracket.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

The Oilers being a 5th seed doesn’t change the fact they’re playing a 7th seed. It’s a favourable matchup for them.

They should be playing Colorado on the road in a 1-8 format. Vegas’ cheating tactics helped them this year because it took them out of the Pacific bracket.

That's an overly simplistic way of looking at it. The last week of the season would have not seen them sit a bunch of starters if it was in the old 1-8 system and they still had a chance to play for something.

Besides, the East has the equivalent of a couple of 13th place teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: zar and capazzo

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015

They have 3 points less than the leafs. Relax dude

Reactions: capazzo

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That's an overly simplistic way of looking at it. The last week of the season would have not seen them sit a bunch of starters if it was in the old 1-8 system and they still had a chance to play for something.

Besides, the East has the equivalent of a couple of 13th place teams in the playoffs.

Edmonton rested players for 1 game. At best they would have been playing for home ice against Colorado. They weren't catching the 3 seed (Vancouver) regardless. Avs at home is still a less favourable matchup than Kings at home. The format benefitted the Oilers significantly whether you want to admit it or not.

The worst teams in the East are playing the best teams in the East - that's how it should be in the West also, but it isn't. The (2) Jets have to play (4) Colorado while (5) Edmonton gets home ice against (7) LA.

They have 3 points less than the leafs. Relax dude

That's entirely the point. The Leafs are a road team but would be a home team if they switched divisions with Edmonton. They're both 5th seeds in their conference. The difference is the Leafs as a 5th seed are playing the 4th seed on the road. In the West, the 5th seed Oilers get home ice against the 7th seed Kings while the 4th seed Colorado has to play the 2 seed Jets at home.

How you can argue that's not a favourable matchup for Edmonton is beyond me.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Edmonton rested players for 1 game. At best they would have been playing for home ice against Colorado. They weren't catching the 3 seed (Vancouver) regardless. Avs at home is still a less favourable matchup than Kings at home. The format benefitted the Oilers significantly whether you want to admit it or not.

The worst teams in the East are playing the best teams in the East - that's how it should be in the West also, but it isn't. The (2) Jets have to play (4) Colorado while (5) Edmonton gets home ice against (7) LA.

That's entirely the point. The Leafs are a road team but would be a home team if they switched divisions with Edmonton. They're both 5th seeds in their conference. The difference is the Leafs as a 5th seed are playing the 4th seed on the road. In the West, the 5th seed Oilers get home ice against the 7th seed Kings while the 4th seed Colorado has to play the 2 seed Jets at home.

How you can argue that's not a favourable matchup for Edmonton is beyond me.
thank you for letting Hyman go.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
A whopping 6 points separates the Jets from the Oilers. There's very little separating 1 from 8 in the West this year. If anyone ended up screwed it was Dallas, but that also the traditional 1v8 matchup.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
A whopping 6 points separates the Jets from the Oilers. There's very little separating 1 from 8 in the West this year. If anyone ended up screwed it was Dallas, but that also the traditional 1v8 matchup.

Dallas did not get screwed. That 1 vs 8. There's no way to avoid that.

Jets and Colorado got screwed. Edmonton and LA benefitted.

West matchups:
(1) Dallas vs (8) Knights
(2) Jets vs (4) Colorado
(3) Van vs (6) Preds
(5) Edm vs (7) LA

The Jets and Colorado got screwed in return for the Oilers and LA getting an easier series. The East is just a straight 1-8.

Any team in the West would be absolutely salivating at playing the Leafs in R1. Even LA.

I don't think there is a team that wouldn't knock them out rather comfortably.

I wish we did 1-16. The Leafs have never played a team with as little playoff success as LA.

LA has won 1 playoff games in the last 9 years in the 2 series not against the Oilers.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Dallas did not get screwed. That 1 vs 8. There's no way to avoid that.

Jets and Colorado got screwed. Edmonton and LA benefitted.

West matchups:
(1) Dallas vs (8) Knights
(2) Jets vs (4) Colorado
(3) Van vs (6) Preds
(5) Edm vs (7) LA

The Jets and Colorado got screwed in return for the Oilers and LA getting an easier series. The East is just a straight 1-8.

I wish we did 1-16. The Leafs have never played a team as weak as LA.

LA has won 1 playoff games in the last 9 years in the 2 series not against the Oilers.

I wish we did 1-16. The Leafs have never played a team as weak as LA.

You're right, they've played weaker teams in Colombus and Montreal.

It would be nice to see you put as much energy into cheering for your own team as you do in attempting to troll and discredit the rest.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You're right, they've played weaker teams in Colombus and Montreal.

How can that be true? CBJ swept the Lightning the year prior. Montreal went to the Finals and swept the team that swept the Oilers. They beat Vegas on the way to the Finals - which the Oilers couldn't.

LA has done nothing in the last 9 years, they struggle to win playoff games - let alone series.

LA has won 6 playoff games (games, not series) in their last 4 appearances. Of that, 5 of those games came against the Oilers. The other 2 series led to a sweep and winning a single game.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
How can that be true? CBJ won rounds before LA. Montreal went to the Finals and swept the team that swept the Oilers. They beat Vegas on the way to the Finals - which the Oilers couldn't.

Those were worse regular season teams. Maybe LA gallops all the way to the SCF if they played someone other than the Oilers who they matchup poorly with. They were undefeated against Vancouver? Weird circle logic.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Those were worse regular season teams. Maybe LA gallops all the way to the SCF if they played someone other than the Oilers who they matchup poorly with. They were undefeated against Vancouver? Weird circle logic.

Yes, maybe they do - which is clearly the point I'm making.

The Oilers benefit from the format. You refuse to admit it.

In a 1-8 LA would not be playing Edmonton. Maybe LA has more success against other teams - but this format forces them into an favourable matchup for Edmonton.

In a 1-8, Edmonton and LA would have never met in the playoffs. In this format, they're meeting for the 3rd time in a row.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I don't know what point @Divine is trying to make. That some teams get to play weaker teams?

He seems to be on some weird mission to spread that word that Edmonton has this magical easy path to the finals. Edmonton has been the best team in the NHL outside the opening month, we can talk about the seedings all we want favoring them, but I guarantee nobody wanted to play them in the opening round.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He seems to be on some weird mission to spread that word that Edmonton has this magical easy path to the finals. Edmonton has been the best team in the NHL outside the opening month, we can talk about the seedings all we want favoring them, but I guarantee nobody wanted to play them in the opening round.

I can guarantee that Winnipeg or Colorado would pick the Oilers over each other.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Hopefully a 50 point playoff run by McDavid banishes the most vocal detractors for the summer. They’ll need time to carefully plan their next attack, rather than simply enjoying one of the five greatest players to ever step onto the ice.

Rest assured, they will be here in ten years sobbing about how they were blessed to watch his whole career though.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Anyway, you guys are trying to twist this into some Leafs thing - I don't know what this has to do with that.

Edmonton benefitted from the new playoff format. Take advantage of it. If you guys would prefer to play Colorado on the road instead - then maybe you prefer a 1-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad