• Jets in 6

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • Jets in 7

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The DNVR folk suggested that the Avs fans in Ball Arena chant GEORGIE to give him a boost at the start of Game 3. I think that would be awesome, regardless of how he has performed, he's our goalie, he plays for the team we support, get behind him and try and give him a boost and a feel good moment.
The thing is, the crowd has been noticeably supportive of him. I think the Dallas game towards the end of the season that came after the Oilers shambles, every time he made a save there was cheering and it was like a deliberate effort to support/encourage him. And the arse still fell out anyway. Obviously I'm only watching the games on TV but I don't think there's been that much of a lack of support from the crowd.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The thing is, the crowd has been noticeably supportive of him. I think the Dallas game towards the end of the season that came after the Oilers shambles, every time he made a save there was cheering and it was like a deliberate effort to support/encourage him. And the arse still fell out anyway. Obviously I'm only watching the games on TV but I don't think there's been that much of a lack of support from the crowd.
I'm not saying he hasn't had support, but show him some extra tomorrow. It can't hurt, and if it gives him a boost then I'm all for it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As good as Mittelstadt has been defensively, the contributions of Lehkonen and previously Nichushkin cannot be ignored either. Those are two of the best defensive forwards in the game.

Nuke, in particular, was an animal yesterday. The number of passes he picked and key clearances were enormous.

Mitts has been fine defensively, but Nuke and Lehky are/have been better. If we're giving credit for that lines defensive stats, they deserve the bulk of the credit.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Don't get so wrapped up in Save %, especially with an insanely small sample size.

See above.

It's often a mistake to compare the performance of a goalie in a starter's role, vs a backup role too.

Not only because the sample size is too small like you mention, but the quality of competition is different, and the team often plays differently in font of them. Teams often play harder for their backup. Which I think we've seen at times this year with Justus and George.

Justus deserves more time to fully evaluate him, but this reminds me a bit of when people would say Pickard is a better goalie than Varlamov, and should be protected in expansion instead, and cited their save percentages as proof.

Then when he left, as good of a guy and teammate Picks is, he couldn't play his way out of the minors the next six years on 4 different teams, until this season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's often a mistake to compare the performance of a goalie in a starter's role, vs a backup role too.

Not only because the sample size is too small like you mention, but the quality of competition is different, and the team often plays differently in font of them. Teams often play harder for their backup. Which I think we've seen at times this year with Justus and George.

Justus deserves more time to fully evaluate him, but this reminds me a bit of when people would say Pickard is a better goalie than Varlamov, and should be protected in expansion instead, and cited their save percentages as proof.

Then when he left, as good of a guy and teammate Picks is, he couldn't play his way out of the minors the next six years on 4 different teams, until this season.

Agreed. I just always look at the great numbers Jonas Johansson was posting for both Colorado AND Tampa, but I think we can all agree he's not a legit NHL starter, and I don't even think he's a worthwhile backup either.

Best case scenario for the Avs is that George figures it out. If he doesn't, well, switching to Juice isn't likely to yield many more wins.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I have a hard time believing that the best NHL teams couldn't exploit Annunen's movement and rebound control over the course of a series. Now if George does his bad game - good game - average game -bad game rotation... you take that chance. But give Vegas 3 games against Annunen... they'll figure him out.

They figured out Georgiev long ago...

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Don’t recall Varlamov being as bad as Georgiev.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Mitts has been awesome and one of the team's best players IMO. His finish to the season left me a bit nervous but he's now giving them what they needed and showing why they acquired him. He has stabilized the second line and that's while not really even producing yet.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I still can't help but feel like the Avs are going to f*** around and find out with George. One decent win doesn't fill me with confidence. And I know a lot of people doubt Annunen vs Vegas if we advance, but it's not like George was good against Vegas this year.

Game 1: GA:7 SA:34 SV:27 SV%:794 GAA:7.00

Game 2: GA:0 SA:25 SV:25 SV%: 1.00 GAA:0.00

Game 3: GA:4 SA:30 SV:26 SV%:.867 GAA:3.93

Vegas won't even need 3 games to figure out George because they already have. Unless you think we can limit Vegas to under 25 shots every game.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Call me a pessimist but I think Winnipeg will play quite well in Denver. Idk what it is about playing at home in Canada but it has got to be insanely difficult to deal with that pressure.

No pressure on them in Denver.
Also Game 4 is an afternoon game which we seem to suck playing early. I’m worried about that playing a part. I suspect we go back to Peg with an even 2-2 series.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I would prefer not to load up the top line, while missing three forwards, but I understand Bednar’s thought to go that way on home-ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad