Votes: 34 16.3%
  • Jets in 7

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Everybody seems to forget that the Jets went through a couple of awful 5 and 6 game losing streaks in the last couple of months where they looked absolutely cooked. Hellebuyck was getting drilled and fans in Winnipeg were climbing out on ledges. The Jets had to play lights out down the stretch just to stay ahead of Nashville.

Yes, they're hot now. But I'll take the team that's been through the SCP grind every year for the past 6 years. This is brand new territory for Winnipeg. Maybe they stay hot. Maybe not.

But I'm a fan. Which means my objectivity is questionable.

Avs in 6.

Winnipeg may not have reached the finals, but they are not at all new to playoff hockey. Their best players were all on the team that made the 2018 run. They have other guys who have made runs like Dillion, Schmidt, Toffoli, el Nino, etc.

Reactions: TheDeuce

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I cannot think of a worse matchup for the Avs, not necessarily for just this postseason, but in their current window of being a Cup Champion/Contender. Some said Seattle would give them fits last year, and they ended up being right, but this Winnipeg team is just...they flat-out dominated the Avs this year, and honestly I'm not sure I've seen anything from our team that indicates anything differently happening.

Reactions: missionAvs

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
So everyone who is saying the Avs will lose won’t be watching the games right?

You know it's okay to be a fan of a team and be honest and think they won't win, right?

You don't need to blindly think they're the best, that they'll never lose, that every player is an all-star, etc. This isn't a cult.

I personally think they're the underdogs in this series. Not according to Vegas, but in my mind I see more ways for the Jets to win.

That doesn't make me less of a fan than someone who thinks they're going to sweep by winning every game 7-0.

Your infatuation with the posters on this forum and what makes someone a "real fan" is so freaking odd. Like, REALLY weird and obsessive...

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I think the Avs can win this series... they just need two things.

Whoever is in net, just can't give up soft goals at the beginning. Winnipeg is damn good at playing with the lead. If they earn a goal, fine.. tip your cap. But giving up a soft goal in the first period will have the Avs chasing the game which plays right into Winnipeg's hands.

Along with that, the Avs need to start the games strong. Far too often this season, we've seen them just not show up for the first 5-10-15 minutes of a game. They need that Joe Sacco schedule and come out of the gates on fire. Control the play for the first half of the period. Even if it is 0-0 after 10, that is a win if you're controlling the play. Wear Winnipeg down, work to be up by 1 or 2 after 1 and then force them to chase.

That's a tall order for this team, but if it happens, I could see the Avs winning in 5 or 6 games. If they get down first in say 5 of 7 games, they probably lose 4 of them to sink the ship.
can you elaborate on what WPG does when leading. Is this a get it over the red line, dump, and rely on Hellebuyck strategy (we are not the team to do that to imo) or do they keep a balanced attack and a foot hovering over the gas.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Winnipeg may not have reached the finals, but they are not at all new to playoff hockey. Their best players were all on the team that made the 2018 run. They have other guys who have made runs like Dillion, Schmidt, Toffoli, el Nino, etc.
Autocorrect corrects to Dillion, does it?

• Haha
Reactions: Ceremony

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I think this goes 5 games regardless of who wins it. One team will figure the other out and it'll be a quick clean up once that happens.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Ummm. It kind-of does doesn’t it?

Btw: Who are you?
Man you gotta at least watch the playoffs if you wanna talk Avs here. Otherwise the tribe will be voting you off the island.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Autocorrect corrects to Dillion, does it?
tenor.gif

can you elaborate on what WPG does when leading. Is this a get it over the red line, dump, and rely on Hellebuyck strategy (we are not the team to do that to imo) or do they keep a balanced attack and a foot hovering over the gas.
They do a number of things. The first is they trap like crazy and basically force teams to dump and chase, with that, they have guys like Ehlers and Connor who are absurdly good at breaking up plays and creating rush chances. So they break up controlled possession with the best of the league through that trap and they counter attack very well out of it. This forces a lot of teams to dump and chase, which today there are not many teams that do that well. They also are a heavy pressure team on offense... they are very willing to hit, grind, and cycle you to death. They may not create a ton of shots or chances, but they get defensemen a little wary of physical play... and they make teams just flat out work to get possession. In their own zone, they push teams to the outside and collapse very simply into the middle of the ice. Helly doesn't have the greatest rebound control for an elite goalie... so they designed their scheme around that. They'll fall back with 3 players in the high danger area ready to pickup rebounds and make simple clears where they are just fine (when they have the lead) to get the redline and dump. If you do get rebound chances against, they tend to be at least contested. They'll let you play outside the dots all you want... but odds are you won't get more than one or two shots per entry if you attack like that. They force you to try to draw guys out of that area to get sustained pressure... where they are a very disciplined group defensively.

It is pretty clear which teams just destroy Winnipeg and it is the teams that are just more than willing to play that dump and chase, grind it out sort of games. Flyers, Vegas, Stars...even Calgary. If you're willing to slog out a game, Winnipeg has issues tweaking their system to work against that. If you only want to play high flying, pure possession hockey... they can just bore you to death.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
tenor.gif

They do a number of things. The first is they trap like crazy and basically force teams to dump and chase, with that, they have guys like Ehlers and Connor who are absurdly good at breaking up plays and creating rush chances. So they break up controlled possession with the best of the league through that trap and they counter attack very well out of it. This forces a lot of teams to dump and chase, which today there are not many teams that do that well. They also are a heavy pressure team on offense... they are very willing to hit, grind, and cycle you to death. They may not create a ton of shots or chances, but they get defensemen a little wary of physical play... and they make teams just flat out work to get possession. In their own zone, they push teams to the outside and collapse very simply into the middle of the ice. Helly doesn't have the greatest rebound control for an elite goalie... so they designed their scheme around that. They'll fall back with 3 players in the high danger area ready to pickup rebounds and make simple clears where they are just fine (when they have the lead) to get the redline and dump. If you do get rebound chances against, they tend to be at least contested. They'll let you play outside the dots all you want... but odds are you won't get more than one or two shots per entry if you attack like that. They force you to try to draw guys out of that area to get sustained pressure... where they are a very disciplined group defensively.

It is pretty clear which teams just destroy Winnipeg and it is the teams that are just more than willing to play that dump and chase, grind it out sort of games. Flyers, Vegas, Stars...even Calgary. If you're willing to slog out a game, Winnipeg has issues tweaking their system to work against that. If you only want to play high flying, pure possession hockey... they can just bore you to death.
This SHOULD play into the hands of our bottom six, especially the dummies on our club. 2 of our 4 goals this season came from Kiviranta and JMFJ lol. The other 2 were MacKinnon and Drouin.

Colton/Wood/Trenin/Duhaime should be turned loose by Bednar but I doubt he switches anything up. He seems very much a "I will beat you how I feel our team should play" style coach.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
If the Avs play early Sunday, that would be the trifecta of irony, they’re sooo bad lately in early afternoon games lol.

Anyways, George lets in 3 on the first 10, everyone freaks out on him and Bednar for not pulling him. Avs respond by winning 4-3 on the way to 3 consecutive shutouts and series sweep!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This SHOULD play into the hands of our bottom six, especially the dummies on our club. 2 of our 4 goals this season came from Kiviranta and JMFJ lol. The other 2 were MacKinnon and Drouin.

Colton/Wood/Trenin/Duhaime should be turned loose by Bednar but I doubt he switches anything up. He seems very much a "I will beat you how I feel our team should play" style coach.

Yeah Bednar is very much a coach that sticks to his guns system wise. And yeah the bottom 6 should have some success, where the issue lies is where they might get and extra goal or two compared to their norm in a series... that likely doesn't overcome the loss of what they top lines do. The Avs really need to get leads early and force Winnipeg to be the aggressor... if that happens, their structure tends to crumble.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah Bednar is very much a coach that sticks to his guns system wise. And yeah the bottom 6 should have some success, where the issue lies is where they might get and extra goal or two compared to their norm in a series... that likely doesn't overcome the loss of what they top lines do. The Avs really need to get leads early and force Winnipeg to be the aggressor... if that happens, their structure tends to crumble.
Landeskog was tailor made for this series. Such a shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad