Votes: 39 18.3%
  • Jets in 6

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • Jets in 7

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Dallas is an excellent passing team too... they can play faster than their pure foot speed would have you otherwise think.
Many fans (and some analysts as well) make the mistake of talking about individual players' foot speed when they look at how fast a team plays. We are considered by many (justifiably so) the fastest team in the NHL. And yes, we have some great skaters on this team (we know who they are). We also have skaters, who are not that fast, but don't look out of place because of our system. If they don't fit the system, then they look slow (RyJo).

It all comes down to systems, players knowing where to be at all times, ability to make the passes (especially defencemen), and forwards coming down to help. We look fast because we never stop. We don't need to accelerate, because we are already moving. Systems are the key. We have a great roster, but it's still bigger than the sum of it's parts because of how Bednar implements it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Many fans (and some analysts as well) make the mistake of talking about individual players' foot speed when they look at how fast a team plays. We are considered by many (justifiably so) the fastest team in the NHL. And yes, we have some great skaters on this team (we know who they are). We also have skaters, who are not that fast, but don't look out of place because of our system. If they don't fit the system, then they look slow (RyJo).

It all comes down to systems, players knowing where to be at all times, ability to make the passes (especially defencemen), and forwards coming down to help. We look fast because we never stop. We don't need to accelerate, because we are already moving. Systems are the key. We have a great roster, but it's still bigger than the sum of it's parts because of how Bednar implements it.
They downside of being very system reliant is that if a team can break up the execution and flow, it can fall apart pretty easily. We've seen it before here. Seattle last year made the Avs look slow because the execution took a hit... and footspeed is not what makes the Avs fast, it is the execution.

Where the individual side really comes in, is even when a team is stifling the Avs... guys like Makar and MacK have the individual ability to break it all down by themselves.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really need them to close it out tonight. Get that extra bit of rest before the next series begins. Hopefully that'll be next Monday at the earliest because I'll be out of town until then.

I also want the Leafs to win tonight to extend as I'll be in Toronto on Thursday and would like to be in the city when they get eliminated.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I think Dallas is actually quite a fast team.

I know they have slow guys like Pavs, Benn, and some slow guys on the backend, but there’s a lot of speed in that lineup.

For instance, I think Dallas is a faster team than Edmonton.
Edmonton is slow but their top guys move fast and move the puck well.

You're correct tho when I think Dallas being slow I'm thinking Benn, Seguin, Pavelski, Robertson, and some of their D other than Harley and Miro essentially. They work well together tho and most of the young guys can fly.

Edmonton I think McDavid because he can single handedly beat a full unit forecheck but that team is slow af and some unskilled real dumbies too.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Team speed is a relative thing. The Kings, even in their prime, were not a fast-skating team, but they moved the puck so well it didn't matter. Side note, Tyler Toffoli is, like, the king of the breakaway, and yet he's not a good skater. He just knows when to jump.

Dallas does kinda remind me of the Kings of yore. They don't strike me as fast (certainly not Benn and I'm pretty sure I can skate faster than Joe Pavelski) but they're just able to move the puck well because of their skill and depth.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Team speed is a relative thing. The Kings, even in their prime, were not a fast-skating team, but they moved the puck so well it didn't matter. Side note, Tyler Toffoli is, like, the king of the breakaway, and yet he's not a good skater. He just knows when to jump.

Dallas does kinda remind me of the Kings of yore. They don't strike me as fast (certainly not Benn and I'm pretty sure I can skate faster than Joe Pavelski) but they're just able to move the puck well because of their skill and depth.
I think if i put my 6 year old on the ice for the 1st time, he’ll skate faster than Pavelski

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs look like they somehow flipped a switch from an inconsistent, underperforming team in the regular season, to the championship caliber team. Very reminiscent of how they looked in their Cup year.

They're just relentless with their speed and their puck hounding, and play very good committed defense, that they just put the opposition in reactive mode, and sap the fight out of them, and then the Avs alpha's have free rein to dominate.

Often ends with the other team losing their minds somehow, because they're so frustrated at not knowing what to do to beat them.

Oh and Val just continues to be money in front of the net on the PP. He migth be the best puck tipper in the league right now. I wonder how many he gets past a goalie in practice? Feels like maybe 9 out of 10.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
I think ultimately, decisions on Scheifele/Hellebuyck are simply secondary to their problem. Scheif has probably been one of their top 3 players so far. I think Hellebuyck has been good, but could have been better.

Their current team strategy isn’t working. The jets succeed on slow, low chance hockey. Their current tactics are doing the opposite. They’re allowing stretch passes constantly and the neutral zone is a highway. It’s literally the complete opposite of how they want to and should play.

We’ll have to see if they make adjustments for this game. Although listening to Bowness, it doesn’t seem like he believes tactics are an issue. He thinks it’s an execution problem. I disagree, but I guess we’ll see who’s right.
Power play points not withstanding, I think Scheifele/Conner has been better than Mackinnon/Rantanen

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Im pretty confident about tonight. The way the Avs are talking they know there is still business to be handled. They aren't getting ahead of themselves and they seem focused. And they are playing really attractive hard working hockey.

On the other hand the jets look defeated and deflated. I'm sure there will be a push from them, but I don't foresee it lasting too long especially if the Avs get on the board early. Helly is going to have to steal this one for them to have a chance of winning.

Let's end their season and let the players leave Winnipeg and travel to their homes in places that don't suck as much as Winnipeg. Enjoy the beaches, lads.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Im pretty confident about tonight. The way the Avs are talking they know there is still business to be handled. They aren't getting ahead of themselves and they seem focused. And they are playing really attractive hard working hockey.

On the other hand the jets look defeated and deflated. I'm sure there will be a push from them, but I don't foresee it lasting too long especially if the Avs get on the board early. Helly is going to have to steal this one for them to have a chance of winning.

Let's end their season and let the players leave Winnipeg and travel to their homes in places that don't suck as much as Winnipeg. Enjoy the beaches, lads.
I am not confident. I feel Fourgiev or Fivegiev is due for a return, and I still have a hard time seeing Helly continue giving up 4+ goals every game. The first period, especially the first 10 minutes, will be key. Survive that and I'll feel better. That said, the Jets will be without Dillon and Nam, and that hurts them. Esp. Dillon. But, Perfetti and Miller will give them a boost offensively.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Alright...

I genuinely am not sure what to expect tonight. I was like 55/40 or 60/40 that the Avs would lose on Sunday afternoon given how they've recently performed in afternoon games; but they came out and put their foot on the necks of the Jets. I had genuinely believed that we'd get a super desperate Jets team throwing everything they could at Colorado to prevent themselves from going in to a 3-1 hole.

So what can we expect tonight? I had been lurking on the Jets board (as I know @RoyIsALegend has been doing too LOL), and there are a few of their posters who seem to think that Scheifele is checked out, not buying in to what Bowness is saying, etc. and the implication is that he might be dragging the team down too.

They also are split on whether or not they want Hellebuyck to start tonight. Like the ones who want Brossoit to start are citing the fact that he saved all 4 shots faced on Sunday/the Jets only allowed 4 shots (as if Colorado didn't go in to a clamp-down mode). I don't know if I have an opinion on that, because Hellebuyck clearly has talent, but Colorado has made him look rather pedestrian (despite NHL Network Radio personalities still acting as if Hellebuyck has been fine/good in the series)...but I also have some minor fear that he can flip a switch and full-on stonewall the Avs.

So basically...no idea what to expect tonight. I have the image in my mind of, Cale Makar back in 2022, I believe in R1 against the Predators, saying "The hardest one to win is the one that ends a team's season..." (or something to that effect).
4-0 Jets just like the series.

Reactions: The Moops

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This won't be easy. Jets are good and the goaltending disparity is on another level in this match up.

That said, Avs in 5.

snoop-glasses-up.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad