WCQF: (2) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
How is SJ doing so good, their team is pretty underwhelming.

Imagine if they win. Marleau will have nightmares for years.

Sharks fans on here gone on and on and on about Karlsson/Ward playing over Hansen and Demelo playing over Heed/Ryan, but I think this season is Deboer's best coaching job since coming here (with the possible exception of the 2016 Cup run). He's got the team playing faster than the sums of its parts and players are contributing up and down the lineup. Not to mention, as another poster pointed out, Jones just seems to up his game in the playoffs.

Reactions: Alaskanice

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I’ve seen the sharks

Sweep (2013)
Win in 5 (2010)
Lose 2 games but win in 6 (2004)
Lose 3 games but win in 7 (2011)
And blow it (2014) when up 3-0

I feel like the ducks are a team where nothing bad ever happens to them and the sharks are the exact opposite, but we’ll see!

Also want to add that I haven’t changed my avatar since 2009-10 so let’s see if the sharks can actually deliver a decade later.

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Just saw the highlights from last night. What a disgusting display by the Ducks in the final minutes, I hope the Sharks embarrass them again next game.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Yeah , sure seems that way. Fowler is good, but he's not a difference maker other #1 guys are. The Ducks are always touted as having the best young defense in the league, yet they're getting lit up. SJ is running over them.

Our defense has the talent but RC is the failure. Look at our team defensive stats under BB with a majority of the same guys. Yet a Norris winner coach can't figure it out.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Game 4 should be interesting, Ducks probably out there trying to hack someones arm off.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Game 4 should be interesting, Ducks probably out there trying to hack someones arm off.
That team makes no sense to me. In the glimpses that they actually played hockey (about half of Game 2, and the first two periods of Game 3) they looked dangerous and often times the better team. Then the Sharks capitalized on a single mistake, got an odd man rush, scored, and Anaheim couldn't keep composure. That's on the Ducks vets imo. Perry, Getz, Kesler and Beauch are playing selfishly. I've got to imagine the young guard in Anaheim can't wait for these guys to retire or sign elsewhere.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Looks like Evander Kane is doing well for the sharks. Good pick up!

The funny/scary thing is, he's not 100% right now. He's had an "upper body injury" since the last week of the season. Of course his legs are fine--and it shows--but we haven't seen Kane in full form in the playoffs. Of course if the Sharks close it out Wednesday and have a long break before Round 2 starts, Kane should look better in Round 2.

Reactions: ThewThew

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I expected this series to be close either way, boy was I wrong. This team is a mess and this series will hopefully lead to the firing of the entire coaching staff.

Good luck in the semis Sharks. Keep California in the conference finals!

Yeah, if they fire the coaching staff, they will improve immediately even if they did nothing else. However, they need to find a way to get rid of Corey Perry at this point. Back-to-back disappointing seasons with his antics only pulls the team in the wrong direction. Fowler being injured is a huge problem when the Ducks road to success was depth on the blue line. They lost too much of it over this past year between losing Theodore and trading Vatanen. If they let Bieksa and Beauchemin walk for some actually useful players to put on their bottom pair, having Fowler-Manson, Lindholm-Montour, and an actual solid third pairing can do wonders for them. After that it's figuring out how to improve that forward depth. Some of it will be on their own. I think there's another level to players like Ritchie, Kase, and even Rakell who is already pretty high end. But they need to move on from at least Perry and if they could move on from Kesler too they should. Getzlaf-Rakell-Henrique is a really good center setup for your top three lines. Just have to find wingers to fill it out and all they may have if they did manage to dump those two is Silfverberg, Cogliano, Kase, and Ritchie. If Kane makes it to the open market, they need to throw everything they have into bringing him in.

Reactions: Doothpick

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
In the glimpses that they actually played hockey (about half of Game 2, and the first two periods of Game 3) they looked dangerous and often times the better team. Then the Sharks capitalized on a single mistake, got an odd man rush, scored, and Anaheim couldn't keep composure.

Anaheim also looked very good in the first period of Game 1, but Jones kept the Sharks in the game.

As an aside, I've seen the Sharks on the other side of this many, many times in the Doug Wilson Era. From the Sharks POV, it's kind of funny, because, at least in this series, the Sharks have looked like the Blackhawks during their recent glory years in terms of getting outplayed but then opportunistically capitalizing on a single mistake in the playoffs.

Reactions: Phu and CrypTic

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Yeah, if they fire the coaching staff, they will improve immediately even if they did nothing else. However, they need to find a way to get rid of Corey Perry at this point. Back-to-back disappointing seasons with his antics only pulls the team in the wrong direction. Fowler being injured is a huge problem when the Ducks road to success was depth on the blue line. They lost too much of it over this past year between losing Theodore and trading Vatanen. If they let Bieksa and Beauchemin walk for some actually useful players to put on their bottom pair, having Fowler-Manson, Lindholm-Montour, and an actual solid third pairing can do wonders for them. After that it's figuring out how to improve that forward depth. Some of it will be on their own. I think there's another level to players like Ritchie, Kase, and even Rakell who is already pretty high end. But they need to move on from at least Perry and if they could move on from Kesler too they should. Getzlaf-Rakell-Henrique is a really good center setup for your top three lines. Just have to find wingers to fill it out and all they may have if they did manage to dump those two is Silfverberg, Cogliano, Kase, and Ritchie. If Kane makes it to the open market, they need to throw everything they have into bringing him in.

Perry was actually quite good down the stretch. I think we just need a coach who's going to implement a style that revolves more around our mobile D, instead of a coach who has an incredibly mobile D and tells them to never lead the rush...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
NHL officials just released the sketch of the Anaheim Goon punching and theatening the victorious San Jose Sharks.

5ad616a4146e7120008b4b55-750-375.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Perry was actually quite good down the stretch. I think we just need a coach who's going to implement a style that revolves more around our mobile D, instead of a coach who has an incredibly mobile D and tells them to never lead the rush...

He was certainly better from February on but even then it's not worth what he's getting paid and the negatives the comes with him being a leader on the team. The last 31 games, he had 9 goals and 15 assists. If that's how he plays all the time moving forward then he's only overpaid by a mil and a half or so but that's not the case and there's good odds that it only gets worse for him at his age. When you're making 8.625 million per year, you need to be around a point per game or better especially with the stuff he likes to pull. When it gets below that, you aren't producing enough to what you're paid and you're going to look more selfish on the ice with the cheap stuff especially when it gets called.

But I definitely agree that coaching is probably the largest issue on the Ducks. The right coach can make the Ducks a lot more dangerous. But they also need to address their depth on D and up front. But that'll be difficult if Perry and Kesler don't want to go anywhere. They're probably going to have to work around that.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
He was certainly better from February on but even then it's not worth what he's getting paid and the negatives the comes with him being a leader on the team. The last 31 games, he had 9 goals and 15 assists. If that's how he plays all the time moving forward then he's only overpaid by a mil and a half or so but that's not the case and there's good odds that it only gets worse for him at his age. When you're making 8.625 million per year, you need to be around a point per game or better especially with the stuff he likes to pull. When it gets below that, you aren't producing enough to what you're paid and you're going to look more selfish on the ice with the cheap stuff especially when it gets called.

But I definitely agree that coaching is probably the largest issue on the Ducks. The right coach can make the Ducks a lot more dangerous. But they also need to address their depth on D and up front. But that'll be difficult if Perry and Kesler don't want to go anywhere. They're probably going to have to work around that.

I'm not worried about the depth on D, unless we decide to bring in another useless veteran plug like Bieksa. We really only need to worry about the bottom pair, as the top-4 is set with Lindholm-Manson-Fowler-Montour and Welinski and Pettersson both look like capable bottom pairing defensemen. Then we still have Larsson and Mahura who both look promising. We just need a coach who's going to utilize them properly.

The forwards are a different story. We need to inject more speed and skill into the lineup but if Kesler never returns to form or Getzlaf hits a serious decline we're boned unless Steel suddenly emerges as a difference maker.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not worried about the depth on D, unless we decide to bring in another useless veteran plug like Bieksa. We really only need to worry about the bottom pair, as the top-4 is set with Lindholm-Manson-Fowler-Montour and Welinski and Pettersson both look like capable bottom pairing defensemen. Then we still have Larsson and Mahura who both look promising. We just need a coach who's going to utilize them properly.

The forwards are a different story. We need to inject more speed and skill into the lineup but if Kesler never returns to form or Getzlaf hits a serious decline we're boned unless Steel suddenly emerges as a difference maker.

I agree that Anaheim has D in the pipeline but they're going to need a veteran to anchor that bottom pair until someone establishes themselves from the pipeline onto that pairing. Having two inexperienced blue liners there can stunt development and cause problems for the team. But they may need to trade for that because there doesn't seem to be a lot on the right side coming up in that regard in free agency.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also want to add that I haven’t changed my avatar since 2009-10 so let’s see if the sharks can actually deliver a decade later.

Did you see that Dan Boyle was at tonight's game?

Anaheim also looked very good in the first period of Game 1, but Jones kept the Sharks in the game.

As an aside, I've seen the Sharks on the other side of this many, many times in the Doug Wilson Era. From the Sharks POV, it's kind of funny, because, at least in this series, the Sharks have looked like the Blackhawks during their recent glory years in terms of getting outplayed but then opportunistically capitalizing on a single mistake in the playoffs.

The Sharks haven't really been outplayed in the series. A lot of teams tend to get outshot when they lead by 2 goals; the Sharks have led by at least 2 goals for what feels like exactly half of this series. Their Corsi and Fenwick close are both well above 50% for the series.

On top of that, the Ducks allowed countless high danger chances - the Sharks kept those limited. The Sharks had like 5 odd man rushes, I don't even think they allowed one. The official HDCF were 8-8 at 5v5 but if things remain even at 5v5 then the Sharks will win for sure - Anaheim's discipline is just a joke.

Last edited:

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I agree that Anaheim has D in the pipeline but they're going to need a veteran to anchor that bottom pair until someone establishes themselves from the pipeline onto that pairing. Having two inexperienced blue liners there can stunt development and cause problems for the team. But they may need to trade for that because there doesn't seem to be a lot on the right side coming up in that regard in free agency.

I'd prefer to not sign or trade for a bottom pairing defender, other than someone who can be a solid #7 and can play as a #6 when called upon but their salary will need to reflect that role.

Pettersson has already established himself, Welinski is ready, and Megna can fill in when called upon. There may be growing pains but it will be better than another overpaid anchor on the bottom pair. We can always pick up a rental at the trade deadline, if necessary.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd prefer to not sign or trade for a bottom pairing defender, other than someone who can be a solid #7 and can play as a #6 when called upon but their salary will need to reflect that role.

Pettersson has already established himself, Welinski is ready, and Megna can fill in when called upon. There may be growing pains but it will be better than another overpaid anchor on the bottom pair. We can always pick up a rental at the trade deadline, if necessary.

You can't establish yourself after only 22 games. I understand the desire to just play the young kids and let them figure it out but unless they're very talented, they're probably going to need a veteran to play with to help them along. And really, on the trade market someone like this is only going to cost a 2nd or a 3rd. Even if it's someone like Trevor Daley, it'd be a good short term investment.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
You can't establish yourself after only 22 games. I understand the desire to just play the young kids and let them figure it out but unless they're very talented, they're probably going to need a veteran to play with to help them along. And really, on the trade market someone like this is only going to cost a 2nd or a 3rd. Even if it's someone like Trevor Daley, it'd be a good short term investment.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think Trevor Daley is any kind of improvement unless he takes a base salary and takes on the #7 role. Pettersson has established himself as a player who deserves a roster spot. I'm not saying he won't face a few bumps in the road during his development, but being sheltered by our top-4 should be more than enough to help him along.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind picking up a veteran for the bottom pair but I think that's something that's easily done during the season. Bob Murray seems to like to overpay them in the offseason, which never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad