WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I care that the event blows up in the NHLs face so that this doesn't happen again. So I check the score updates and the odd tweet.

Haven't really been offering commentary on the games themselves so I'm not sure what you've been reading on that front.

Oh just admit you're watching it.

Spare us.;)

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The intensity has been very high and its only exhibition, I think it will be a great tournament and i will watch it from start to finish but my only complaint is the two gimmick teams North America and Europe replace those teams with Switzerland and Slovakia which are real countries and everybody would be happy and take it more seriously.

Last edited:

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
The intensity has been very high and its only exhibition, I think it will be a great tournament and i will watch you from start to finish but my only complaint is the two gimmick teams North America and Europe replace those teams with Switzerland and Slovakia which are real countries and everybody would be happy and take it more seriously.

This, it's the only thing that bug me for a "World" Cup it's the two stupids teams, why not just let compete the 8 best countries (with a pre-qualification for the last two spots, Switzlerand, Slovakia, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Denmark, Belarus, Slovenia etc.)

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
The best hockey I've ever seen. More intense and physical than NHL Playoffs and Olympics. Faster speeds. Bigger checks. Way better teams. Team NA (World Cup) >>> Team Slovakia (Olympics)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The games are intense and people are still ignorantly pushing agendas, or even worse hoping young hockey players get hurt because it would make the World Cup less likely to have a Young Guns team? :help:.

Seriously?

Canada v USA was an absolute slugfest.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Seeing a lot of bad logic here. Just because someone is following the election or even votes does not mean they like the candidates or the electoral college. Just because someone follows box scores doesn't mean they are enamored with the tournament. I watched a large part of the USA Canada game. I liked it. That doesn't mean I like the format. That I watched it doesn't mean this tournament will be economically successful, especially by international metrics. Butts in seats does not imply massive overseas tv deals that reach into the average international household, or stunning PPV figures. This tournament is the first 100 million, there obviously needs to be an adjustment to make the next 100 million.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
This, it's the only thing that bug me for a "World" Cup it's the two stupids teams, why not just let compete the 8 best countries (with a pre-qualification for the last two spots, Switzlerand, Slovakia, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Denmark, Belarus, Slovenia etc.)

Yes that would be a good idea have a qualifying tournament for countries ranked 7-14 the top 2 countries qualifies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

I think the idea is that they want the matches to be as close as possible and by adding teams like Team NA and Team Europe, which consists of all the qualified European countries, it makes the game more closer than say if Slovakia and Germany were the last two spots. It doesn't really say World Cup when you have a mix of countries in one team, but it's not really a problem for me. I like all the teams and think all of them have a shot at the finals except for Czech and maybe Europe.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
The don't want filler just to make up the numbers to 8. They want all the teams to have a realistic chance to win.
Cut the crap. If quality of competition purely is the argument then do the tournament with 6 teams. Still no real reason for these two teams to exist (other than more NHL players on ice = more butts on seats).

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Cut the crap. If quality of competition purely is the argument then do the tournament with 6 teams. Still no real reason for these two teams to exist (other than more NHL players on ice = more butts on seats).

Let's just see how the tourney turns out. Let's not forget we STILL have the Olympics until the nhl actually says they are pulling out

I'm pretty sure this tourney has already changed alot of people's minds that will actually give it a chance and it's only after 2 days of exhibition games.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016

8 teams is a very common tournament number, we all know that. This gives a chance for players who deserves to be considered in the world's best a chance to play. Who cares if it doesn't meet the stantard criteria of Nation vs Nation. Guys like Kopitar and Zuccarello are happy to be able to compete on a team that has a shot to do win against the big teams, and all 7 others are already trying in pre tournament games.

I fully expect Team Europe to try harder next game and put up a better show, they aren't going to want to ruin their chance at showing what they can do at world class level of play. These guys all know how guys from Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia etc are judged at the world stage and they finally have a shot to give it a fair shake, I doubt they'll just throw that away.

The world cup doesn't have to be the Olympics, it doesn't have to be the world championship like IIHF. To be a best on best, the best players need to be there, and aside from a few Canadians and Americans, that's the case. Non individual country teams is just as "best in best" as a tournament that has guys like Kopitar on joke teams. It's just a different style.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
8 teams is a very common tournament number, we all know that. This gives a chance for players who deserves to be considered in the world's best a chance to play. Who cares if it doesn't meet the stantard criteria of Nation vs Nation.
Hockey doesn't know an individual form of competition. Kopitar may deserve, but currently his country doesn't deserve to in a top 8 tournament. And had NHL done this really right, they would find out the deserving ones on the ice (qualification).

Guys like Kopitar and Zuccarello are happy to be able to compete on a team that has a shot to do win against the big teams, and all 7 others are already trying in pre tournament games.
Coincidentally you singled out two players who countries wouldn't be in top 8. Happened to ask how happy all the Swiss and Slovakian players are?

The world cup doesn't have to be the Olympics, it doesn't have to be the world championship like IIHF.
It doesn't. It should just be what it was previously and improved from that. Instead NHL tries to redefine what international competion of nations mean, not just in hockey but in all sports, I really can't think of anything as dumb in any sport.

To be a best on best, the best players need to be there, and aside from a few Canadians and Americans, that's the case. Non individual country teams is just as "best in best" as a tournament that has guys like Kopitar on joke teams. It's just a different style.
Based on the logic you just provided, if Team NA and Europe are removed, it is still best on best aside from Kopitar and Zuccarello. Also, there's the fact that Canada and USA can't freely pick their best players because of the arbitrary U23 restriction.

Every argument for the existence of these teams seems to be worse than the previous one.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I was at the game tonight and I'm a believer. That was a ****ing awesome game in every way.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Early on its been cool to contrast team NA with team Canada in back to back nights. Canada's star players play such an efficient and mistake free game, very straight forward and low risk, while the U23s are generally more creative and risky. Not sure if that's by team design, or an example of how imagination/creativity fades with older vets.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
so far I like it... level of intensity is there (Except for Europe)

but I'd wish that for the next WCoH they dont include team NA & team EUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad