Series Talk: WCF Vegas Golden Knights - Dallas Stars

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The only time we've ever come back to win a series is the Jets winning game 1 of the conference final our inaugural season.

This situation is pretty new to our team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Game 4 should go MAF.

Difference in the game last night was great goaltending at one end.....poor goaltending at the other.

Out side the crease Knights were much better team

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Game 4 should go MAF.

Difference in the game last night was great goaltending at one end.....poor goaltending at the other.

Out side the crease Knights were much better team

The majority of the Stars goals came off of some crap Knights defense.

One was off a breakaway and the overtime winner was one where they left Radulov all alone to get his shot off on Lehner.

Can't really blame the goaltender in this game.

The Knights gave up a ton of odd man rushes.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

One was off a breakaway and the overtime winner was one where they left Radulov all alone to get his shot off on Lehner.

Not just odd man rushes, but situations that shouldn't have turned into odd man rushes. Just bad switching among the team and some bad positioning by the last guy or two back. Then the fiasco that led to the winner. Felt like real mental errors, not mistakes made because they were defending a dangerous team. Too many times with the TV camera angle you could see defenders would take a bad angle or get caught flat footed and it led to some potential problems. Thankfully the Stars missed on a lot of passes to guys with open net, I think there were 3 or 4 I can recall. Not always going to connect on those, but 1 or 2 and the game would have been a bigger mess.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

I agree, "crap defense".....led to the soft goals the keeper let in.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not just odd man rushes, but situations that shouldn't have turned into odd man rushes. Just bad switching among the team and some bad positioning by the last guy or two back. Then the fiasco that led to the winner. Felt like real mental errors, not mistakes made because they were defending a dangerous team. Too many times with the TV camera angle you could see defenders would take a bad angle or get caught flat footed and it led to some potential problems. Thankfully the Stars missed on a lot of passes to guys with open net, I think there were 3 or 4 I can recall. Not always going to connect on those, but 1 or 2 and the game would have been a bigger mess.
Yea, I though Martinez in particular had a bad night.

But the Stars D was not exactly stellar.......Kudo bailed them out.

Both Knights goalies are great. Personally I hope MAF gets the start for game four.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Kudobin and the front line leaders on Dallas will carry the Stars past the Knights to the Finals

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Under Debore and Spott the knights play like the sharks used to.
Vegas has never been as good as they were their first season under Gallant

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Playing on one foot? What a gutsy effort by the future captain.

Anyone that expected more than 13g 29p in 26 games and a Selke performance from Stone...:help:

No one is talking about last year though.

5 goals and 7 assists in 16 playoff-playoff games this season. -1.

1 goal and 2 assists the past seven games. -2.

Scoreless in 8 of 16 games.

Some of those assists are literally pass it to Theodore and watch him score on the PP.

Healthy for pretty much every game of that. If Stone was PPG and Selke during this playoffs we would be fine. It's right to think you should expect more. I bet he does himself.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
No one is talking about last year though.

5 goals and 7 assists in 16 playoff-playoff games this season. -1.

1 goal and 2 assists the past seven games. -2.

Scoreless in 8 of 16 games.

Some of those assists are literally pass it to Theodore and watch him score on the PP.

Healthy for pretty much every game of that. If Stone was PPG and Selke during this playoffs we would be fine. It's right to think you should expect more. I bet he does himself.

If it weren't for Stone McSchmidt would have an atrocious +/- right now.

12 points through 16 playoff games isn't too far from what's expected of him. No excuse for not scoring on Khudobin but Demko was very much a wall of non-scoringness.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If it weren't for Stone McSchmidt would have an atrocious +/- right now.

12 points through 16 playoff games isn't too far from what's expected of him. No excuse for not scoring on Khudobin but Demko was very much a wall of non-scoringness.

He hasn't been the most disappointing but to his standards, especially how the playoffs have played out you would want more, need more from him for the team to win.

12 isn't bad but it translates to 62 in a season and we need him in the 70 point range to be successful, which would be 14 in 16. Not crazy disappointing but less than we need. Imagine 2 more points from him this series, we could have a tie series. 8 scoreless is more than you want from him also.

I'm confident he could get it going again this playoffs and we could continue the run, or if we don't that next season Stone is one of the last players I would worry about. But these seven games, a series worth, have not been vintage from any of our forwards.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Don't think DeBoer is the right coach for Vegas, he has made the dmen more involved on the offense, but with the forwards he wants the deflections, & rebounds. If a goalie absorbs the rebounds rather than control them, then there's only the deflections left, which, we can score that way at times, but I wouldn't say we're good at it.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Don't think DeBoer is the right coach for Vegas, he has made the dmen more involved on the offense, but with the forwards he wants the deflections, & rebounds. If a goalie absorbs the rebounds rather than control them, then there's only the deflections left, which, we can score that way at times, but I wouldn't say we're good at it.

I don't think you can say much about Deboer. The forwards were abysmal. They had opportunities they fluffed constantly and shots that were pathetic. This is nearly completely on the forwards and especially the top six. Honorable mention to Schmidt and McNabb.

You can talk about the system but they were embarrassing with what they were throwing at the net regardless of being on a rush, from the point, the slot, rebounds it was all bad from our forwards and for a long time.

But it isn't new that they underperformed when everything is to play for or the other team has a pushback.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
Well it's Karma for the bone head move Deboer pulled for not playing Fleury. He has been the heart and soul of the team from the beginning and should of been the starter not Lehner. You can blame Deboer for this mess.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Well it's Karma for the bone head move Deboer pulled for not playing Fleury. He has been the heart and soul of the team from the beginning and should of been the starter not Lehner. You can blame Deboer for this mess.

Lehner had a .936% even strength through 4 games of the WCF. Vasilevsky is .917% and he's up 3-1.
Khudobin was .891% in the 2nd round and almost pissed away the lead for the Stars, who needed some big goals to tie it and send it to OT in game 7 - all while playing against the 3rd string AHL goalie for Colorado. Meanwhile, Lehner shut the door and rose to meet Demko's superhuman performance in game 7.

Yes good idea. Play Flower to 'steal' a couple games where they can't score - say Vegas wins in 6 or 7 only to lose in 5 to Tampa and have Lehner walk as a UFA.

baldrick-cunning-plan-gif.gif

We should consolidate all the goaltending hot takes to a single thread. :confused:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad