GDT: WCF Game 4: Vegas Golden Knights @ Dallas Stars | 5:00PM | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS | DAL Lead 2-1

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Where's our MacKinnon and Rantanen? We don't have their firepower.
Where is the Knights leadership players like Benn, Pavelski and Radulov. Dallas have the three best forwards in the series , add the better goalie to that, and its over.

Kudobin looked very average against the Aves.

Knights are making him look better than he is. Statsny shoots like he thinks Kudobins crest is the target.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Personally I thought there have been times when the team looked deflated even in the Vancouver series. It’s so discouraging to feel like you need 20 shots to score, and the other team needs a lot less than that. You finally get that goal and then bam, the other team ties it up without having to work nearly as hard for it.

I actually don’t think it’s over. A win in game 5, ESPECIALLY if the team finds a way to get some scorers going, could definitely change the momentum of the series. But first that needs to happen and I’m not feeling good about that part. A 1-0 win would make me less confident, but at least in that scenario it gives the team more time to figure something out and it’s a 3-2 series instead of 3-1. And there would be more questions about the Dallas offense in that scenario.

I wouldn’t say I’m confident, but I am thinking just win game 5 and it’s an interesting series again. That’s a lot more optimistic than what I’m seeing/hearing from most people. I’m mostly hearing that it’s over.

Is Stone going to be okay though?
No way is this Dallas team about to lose three in a row.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
tenor.gif

So the defense has to defend and score. Yeah, there's a great recipe for success. Jesus Christ...
LMAO :biglaugh:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Gallant people are the same people who think Fleury should still be the starter. This team wasn't even going to make the playoffs the way things were going.

I didn't think Deboer was the answer and didn't like him due to the Sharks connection but the team has done a complete 180 since he was hired. The coach is always easy to blame but he's not the one out there missing wide open nets from 5 feet out or giving the puck away or taking dumb penalties. Even just below average shooting or puck luck and this series is 3-1 the other way. Dallas is hardly doing anything offensively either. Thems the breaks.
With that line of thinking.......when Deboer came in and they were winning "he was not the one" scoring goals, stopping shots, not giving the puck away in his own end.Credit the coach when they are winning, blames the players when they are losing.

Bottom line. Best hockey I ever seen Vegas play was under a different coach.

You will see, when Deboar moves on after winning sweet f*** all. As always, taking Spott with him wherever he goes.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
No way is this Dallas team about to lose three in a row.

Normally Vegas wouldn't respect Klingberg Lindell and Heiskenen enough to let them impose their will in the 3rd. They didn't care if they were playing Doughty or Burns or Vlasic before.

Now they just wait till Theodore can save them on a PP late in the game. Bowness and the Stars, most importantly Khudobin, knew it too.

There will be a big push back but its probably too little too late. Way too predictable.

Reactions: PaulD

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
It's time to give Krebs the audition. 1 game in the playoffs + 9 games next season.

Tuch, Whitecloud, Lehner and especially Theodore have given me so much hope moving forward. I want something more to believe in with Glass rehabbing outside the bubble.

Normally I'd disagree on Krebs, but guys like Marchie and Patches are such sad sacks of shit right now I could care less. May as well get a look because if I have my way next year you might need a Krebs or a Dugan to step into the 3rd line. We need a guy like Petro or OEL to push Nate down a peg even if it means dumping Marchie and Stastny in the process.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Normally I'd disagree on Krebs, but guys like Marchie and Patches are such sad sacks of shit right now I could care less. May as well get a look because if I have my way next year you might need a Krebs or a Dugan to step into the 3rd line. We need a guy like Petro or OEL to push Nate down a peg even if it means dumping Marchie and Stastny in the process.

Schmidt on the 2nd pair is fine as long as he's on the left side. And that's not making an excuse for him, either. He was expected to go back to LD this season. Four lefties most of the game is too much, no matter how good Teddy is playing. So that's a big no to OEL.

With the WJC in doubt, Krebs should be given a lot of consideration considering all the raving we heard from the return to play.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Schmidt on the 2nd pair is fine as long as he's on the left side. And that's not making an excuse for him, either. He was expected to go back to LD this season. Four lefties most of the game is too much, no matter how good Teddy is playing. So that's a big no to OEL.

With the WJC in doubt, Krebs should be given a lot of consideration considering all the raving we heard from the return to play.

I don't think Schmidt will be on the 2nd pair. He just can't be THE guy on the top pair. We need to find him a partner that is better than he is. AMart-Theo is pretty firmly entrenched as the 2nd pair. Then Whitecloud and whichever plug you want to saddle him with until Hague figures out the whole NHL thing. LHD/RHD is extremely overrated too. In a perfect world sure you'd like to balance it out, but give me the best players all day. Dallas only has one right shot D in their lineup and are doing just fine.

With Krebs it just really sucks that the CHL-AHL age limits are what they are. It would be better for us and him if he could play in the A if he doesn't make the big club.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't think Schmidt will be on the 2nd pair. He just can't be THE guy on the top pair. We need to find him a partner that is better than he is. AMart-Theo is pretty firmly entrenched as the 2nd pair. Then Whitecloud and whichever plug you want to saddle him with until Hague figures out the whole NHL thing.

With Krebs it just really sucks that the CHL-AHL age limits are what they are. It would be better for us and him if he could play in the A if he doesn't make the big club.

The Theodore pairing has to be the top pair moving forward. He doesn't kill penalties so 20 ES minutes a game should be expected. I don't know if Martinez can log that many minutes anymore but the way Teddy is playing, you could stick a pair of skates on a baked potato and pair them together.

Whitecloud has played some hard PK minutes and he's been out there against top 9 guys for 20 games with no sign of mental mistakes. I'd say he's earned the #5 swiss army knife role to take the ball and run with it on any pairing. Fearless, smart and cool as a cucumber.

Hague was almost there last season, he just needed some power skating training which probably didn't get to happen. If they play him with a speedy RD I think he'd have a good year, but either way I'm fine with sending him back to the AHL.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
The Theodore pairing has to be the top pair moving forward. He doesn't kill penalties so 20 ES minutes a game should be expected. I don't know if Martinez can log that many minutes anymore but the way Teddy is playing, you could stick a pair of skates on a baked potato and pair them together.

Whitecloud has played some hard PK minutes and he's been out there against top 9 guys for 20 games with no sign of mental mistakes. I'd say he's earned the #5 swiss army knife role to take the ball and run with it on any pairing.

Theo is on his 4th NHL coach. None of the 4 have trusted him in defensive situations. This year he got over 60% Ozone starts and was in the 24th percentile in QOC. So unless PDB completely reverses course it's a safe bet to say AMart-Theo will be in the same spot next year.

My criteria for a top pair isn't so much who plays the most, but who plays the tougher minutes with the harder matchups. And whether it's been Gallant or PDB in charge that's always been whatever pair Schmidt is on.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Theo is on his 4th NHL coach. None of the 4 have trusted him in defensive situations. This year he got over 60% Ozone starts and was in the 24th percentile in QOC. So unless PDB completely reverses course it's a safe bet to say AMart-Theo will be in the same spot next year.

My criteria for a top pair isn't so much who plays the most, but who plays the tougher minutes with the harder matchups. And whether it's been Gallant or PDB in charge that's always been whatever pair Schmidt is on.

So what's the ideal top 4, assuming Pie is unavailable?

Are you comfortable with 4 of Schmidt, Theodore, Martinez Whitecloud and McNabb?

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
So what's the ideal top 4, assuming Pie is unavailable?

Are you comfortable with Shmidt, Theodore, Martinez Whitecloud and McNabb?

Well Schmidt-Mcnabb flat out can not exist as a top pair ever again. That much is abundantly clear. Petro or OEL would take a ton of cap maneuvering, which I'd be all in favor of because I've totally soured on Marchie. Sadly the free agent market is barren for the type of guy we need outside of Petro. Maybe you could get Big Buff to take a cheap 1 year deal if he still wants to play. Trade market looks pretty bad too. Maybe David Savard, but he's more in a similar tier as Schmidt. Petry would actually be a perfect fit if he's not going to extend with Montreal. Worst case scenario you run what we should be running now with Schmidt-Whitecloud I suppose.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Well Schmidt-Mcnabb flat out can not exist as a top pair ever again. That much is abundantly clear. Petro or OEL would take a ton of cap maneuvering, which I'd be all in favor of because I've totally soured on Marchie. Sadly the free agent market is barren for the type of guy we need outside of Petro. Maybe you could get Big Buff to take a cheap 1 year deal if he still wants to play. Trade market looks pretty bad too. Maybe David Savard, but he's more in a similar tier as Schmidt. Petry would actually be a perfect fit if he's not going to extend with Montreal. Worst case scenario you run what we should be running now with Schmidt-Whitecloud I suppose.

I'd like them to go in the other direction since the team defense, PK and goaltending is alright.

I'd try and rejuvenate Barrie on a 1 year deal for some old school Golden Knights run and gun offense. He'd be great for the PP along with Glass. Drop McNabb to the bottom pair with him and see how it goes.

Trading Marchessault should free up enough cap to sign him. Plus you know the Avalanche will try the same thing.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I'd like them to go in the other direction since the team defense, PK and goaltending is alright.

I'd try and rejuvenate Barrie on a 1 year deal for some old school Golden Knights run and gun offense. He'd be great for the PP along with Glass. Drop McNabb to the bottom pair with him and see how it goes.

Trading Marchessault should free up enough cap to sign him. Plus you know the Avalanche will try the same thing.

Barrie is one of the worst defensive players in the league and then I think you run into the same problem he had in Toronto. He's not taking Theo's job as PPQB. So right off the hop you'd be wasting his best attribute. He also isn't a guy you can play with Schmidt as a matchup D. Which would leave you either playing Schmidt-AMart and Theo-Barrie or Schmidt-Whitecloud and Mcnabb/Holden-Barrie. He'd be fine on the 3rd pair as sort of a rich man's Colin Miller but then you'd be forced into Whitecloud on the top pair, which PDB currently seems hesitant on. As long as it's dirt cheap it probably couldn't hurt though if legit top pair guys can't be had.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
f*** this series.

It is like climbing a f***ing mountain just to get a goal. It took like 20+ shots just to get a goal.

But then here comes Dallas f***ing scoring on like their 7th or 8th shot and then scoring again.

I don't see us coming back cause Deboer doesn't see anything wrong with this strategy and he has already said he won't change a damn thing.

I was never a fan of Deboer. Kudos to him for turning the team around, but i don't think he is the right coach to bring us to a cup.

I am willing to bet that there will be fire Deboer comments next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrLouniverse

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Honestly, this series has made me despise the sport of hockey.

It is like climbing a f***ing mountain just to get a goal. It took like 20+ shots just to get a goal.

But then here comes Dallas f***ing scoring on like their 7th or 8th shot and then scoring again.

I don't see us coming back cause Deboer doesn't see anything wrong with this strategy and he has already said he won't change a damn thing.

Looks like i will be taking a long break from hockey after Monday.

And if this is how next season goes where we put up a ton of shots and still lose, i am going to be losing my god damn mind all next season.

I was never a fan of Deboer. Kudos to him for turning the team around, but i don't think he is the right coach to bring us to a cup.

Partly the system. Everything from the outside or the point. Not every shot is equal so taking 40+ shots on goal a game doesn't matter if they're from low scoring chances. Partly just the forwards playing bad. Patches was probably never healthy, Stone is now hurt. Marchessault can't get out of his own way. ect

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I agree with most of this, but I'd stay far away from OEL unless the Yotes retain 50%. He's been a shell of himself since signing that contract. Maybe leaving one desert city for a new environment rejuvenates his love of hockey, but I'm not paying anyone not named Pietrangelo 8M. And even then I'm reluctant.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I agree with most of this, but I'd stay far away from OEL unless the Yotes retain 50%. He's been a shell of himself since signing that contract. Maybe leaving one desert city for a new environment rejuvenates his love of hockey, but I'm not paying anyone not named Pietrangelo 8M. And even then I'm reluctant.

I can definitely see your point on OEL. The sense I get from Yotes fans is the relationship between he and Tocchet has just become untenable. He's only a year removed from putting up 44 points. This was his only down year production wise. Given that we are in a win now mode and the lack of quality guys that can be the level of player we need I think it's a worthwhile risk. Because of the risk I wouldn't offer much more than Stastny+1st.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Honestly, this series has made me despise the sport of hockey.

Looks like i will be taking a long break from hockey after Monday.

And if this is how next season goes where we put up a ton of shots and still lose, i am going to be losing my god damn mind all next season.

So your enjoyment of hockey comes from the opportunity to upset yourself if the team doesn't play well each and every game? And you think the solution is all just a matter of getting the right coach?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So your enjoyment of hockey comes from the opportunity to upset yourself if the team doesn't play well each and every game? And you think the solution is all just a matter of getting the right coach?
Deboer.

Im not a huge fan of him either. But its not like the Stars have Scotty Bowman behind their bench. Scoring slump by Marchy and Smith is costing this team. Dallas goalie better than Vegas goalie last two games.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Deboer.

Im not a huge fan of him either. But its not like the Stars have Scotty Bowman behind their bench. Scoring slump by Marchy and Smith is costing this team. Dallas goalie better than Vegas goalie last two games.

You keep saying the goaltending and it's obvious the agenda but you're wrong. Dallas took better shots than Vegas. That's why they score more. Khudobin hasn't outplayed Lehner. He's gotten shots to the chest and shots from bad angles and with no screens.

Our goalscorers aren't hitting corners or posts and in, theirs are. If we had their quality shooting this series would be over already.

Reactions: Vegas07

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Lots of us underrated Dallas. Myself included.

I also over rated the Knights.

It seems like great defensive teams are more likely to be underrated IMO. I was concerned that if Vancouver could shut us down with a backup goalie, that a better team like Dallas that was #2 in the league in goals allowed could give us trouble. I still underestimated them though.

Reactions: PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad