Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Prediction: Dallas loses game 1, because they have in every series since the 2020 finals. Oilers fans start actually thinking they'll win the series (because right now it's all false confidence). Then Dallas goes on to win the next 4.

Does anyone actually think that the Oilers have looked good these playoffs? I've yet to see a game of theirs where I thought, "this is a good team". Obviously they have some high end talent, but this isn't basketball where those players alone can win championships, depth does. Add on the fact that defense wins championships, and Oilers don't have that or goaltending. The ONLY thing Dallas can be slightly concerned about is special teams. At worst, Dallas is 6.

This is no disrespect towards the Oilers, Dallas is just that good this year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Oilers in 4

Dallas doesn't stand a chance. If they're super lucky they might steal away 1 win, but seems extremely unlikely
As an Oiler fan I don't come on here much during the playoffs because of dumb comments like this. No chance in hell the Oilers beat Dallas in 4 games. Oilers still need a goalie and a Ekholm like RD.

I like the Oilers to win as an Oiler fan but being logical I expect Dallas to win in 6 games.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Ah yes, the invincible Dallas Stars who were an overtime goal away from being down 3-0 to the #8 seed in the opening round. People really out here acting like they’re the 90s Red Wings and Avalanche, or even their own 1999 and 2000 iteration. Oettinger is damn good, but he’s no Belfour and we’re what…a mere month out from the completion of a regular season where his own fans complained how ordinary he was? Give me a break with these “sweep” and “going to be so easy” comments. Dallas is far more beatable than many seem to believe. Honestly, McDavid and Draisaitl are probably putting up 10-15 points this series.
You say “the 8th seed” as if that team was some scrub level, lucky to be in the playoffs team, instead of the defending Cup champions.
It’s even more disingenuous than people trying to burn Boston last year for losing to “an 8th seed”.

Having said that, I don’t think they’ll walk all over the Oilers. But I think Dallas will prevail. Would like to see Edmonton pull off the victory, but idk if they can do it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's almost as if quality of opponent matters. Crazy thought I know!
GA of VGK: 245
GA of COL: 254
GA of LAK: 215
GA of VAN: 223

Total GA VGK+COL: 499
Total GA LAK+VAN: 438

You need to make quite the adjustments to equate that to it being twice as easy to score vs LAK and VAN than vs VGK and COL. Whatever those adjustments might be, they won't be statistical. They will be your subjective guesswork and hypotheses.

As for Silovs and Demko. Reg, Demko had 22 goals saved above expected after 51 games. Playoffs, Silovs had 0.2 goals saved below expected after 10 games.

So let's scale that to 50 games, so Demko would prevent around 3 goals from Oilers extra in comparison to Silovs.

The numbers still won't be even close. This, in fact, isn't even enough to adjust for the difference in GA between VGK+COL vs LAK+VAN.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
As an Oiler fan I don't come on here much during the playoffs because of dumb comments like this. No chance in hell the Oilers beat Dallas in 4 games. Oilers still need a goalie and a Ekholm like RD.

I like the Oilers to win as an Oiler fan but being logical I expect Dallas to win in 6 games.

I'd take that guy's posts with a grain of salt, he's been doing it all playoffs.

Not sure why, either. :dunno:

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
GA of VGK: 245
GA of COL: 254
GA of LAK: 215
GA of VAN: 223

Total GA VGK+COL: 499
Total GA LAK+VAN: 438

You need to make quite the adjustments to equate that to it being twice as easy to score vs LAK and VAN than vs VGK and COL. Whatever those adjustments might be, they won't be statistical. They will be your subjective guesswork and hypotheses.
Oh you're switching to regular season stats now?

GF Dallas: 298
GF Oilers: 294

So by you're own logic, Dallas is better. Gotcha!

And Dallas had 9 more points in the regular season, so they got this no problem, based on your regular season logic.

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
I'd take that guy's posts with a grain of salt, he's been doing it all playoffs.

Not sure why, either. :dunno:
I said the same thing before the Avs series too watch me be right again. I had an army of oilers fans ready to quote me that time too none ever did though

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Good luck to both fan-bases! Hoping for a hard fought, healthy, players/coaches deciding outcomes, and close WCF series that goes at least 6 or 7 games. Both Stars & Oilers are very "Cup" worthy, we'll probably be pulling for whoever wins this series during SCF's.

Again, good luck and hope both fan-bases enjoy awesome ride deep playoff provide.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Hoping this is a long series, would like to win a game in the 3rd round this time.

Barely remember the annual shit kicking by the stars from 20 years ago, thankfully. Should be a good one, Oilers will have to bring it for 60 minutes now.

Outside of wanting to see McDrai win a cup, I'd like to get to the SCF just see these sad Flamer fans join a 4th bandwagon. Guess Vancouver learned the hardway not to take the scraps of that team that got smoked in 5.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If they meet FL, the GTA and their media will be all aboard the Oiler train ;)

If Edmonton gets by Dallas (and that's a pretty big "if"), yes, TSN and Sportsnet will go in very heavily on the Oilers, the whole "bring the Cup home" trash that we see every year. It's probably already started, actually......would be interested in seeing how many talking heads have picked the Oilers in this WCF matchup.

But going back to your comment on the GTA......I wouldn't be so sure about the fans around here being eager to jump on the Oilers bandwagon. :laugh:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I see Dallas in 5/6 is leading the way at the time of my post. I was hedging between the two. Ended up on 6. I think they're too deep, too well structured, and arguably have the best goalie left in the playoffs.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Honest question. I keep seeing Dallas fans with this ‘we deserve it’ slogan. I assume it is the Stanley Cup that fans feel they deserve. Where does this come from? And why do Dallas fans feel their team or their fans deserve a Cup?

A couple Stars fans have been repeating it for shits and giggles, mostly. Gets a rise out of some rival fans, but we're under no misconception that Dallas is really "owed" anything. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad