WCF: (1) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) Chicago Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Unless I'm missing your point (sorry if so), I think you are highly underrating the Kesler line. Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry matches up just fine with the Toews line, and Beleskey-Kesler-Silfverberg matches up just fine with the Kane line. Kane will have his moments, but he'll also be defending against the Kesler line a fair amount. The top six matchup isn't lopsided in the slightest.

That's sort of what I was alluding to, the bottom six is relatively a wash if not for Sharp on the 3rd line. I see that as the key advantage, even if a slight one. But the Ducks have plenty of bottom six talent at their disposal albeit a little unproven. I also think some might be overlooking the impact of the blueline. The Ducks are getting the most offense from the back end of any team in the playoffs (last I checked). That's no fluke. We have Wiz in the press box and a guy like Vatanen playing on the 3rd pairing. These guys all activate and contribute to the offensive pressure. We don't have the top end talent of a guy like Keith, but we have more overall talent on the blueline through all three pairings. This is another area I think the Ducks can make up for any slight shortcoming on the front end.

edit: Just to add...

While I feel we stack up well with the matchups, one clear advantage the Hawks have is that push come to shove, if down a goal late in a game, they can throw all of their horses on a couple lines (Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, Saad, etc.) and make it very difficult to close out games. The Ducks can't necessarily do the same. Getz, Perry, Kesler... sure. Then you're looking at Beleskey, Silfverberg, errr Maroon? Not quite the same caliber beyond the first big three or four guys, but the Ducks are amazing at playing from down a goal and finding ways to win, so there's certainly some intangible involved there.

I'm not really sure how Maroon/Getzlaf/Perry is equal to Saad/Toews/Hossa, but OK. Two of those guys pretty much cancel each other out. Saad is a much better all around player than Maroon. Hossa vs. Perry? Come on. Perry can't hold Hossa's jock defensively or in pursuit. It's not even close. Toews and Getzlaf are a wash.

The beauty of the Hawks' 1st line is, if they are in the offensive zone, you are going to have to expend a TON of energy trying to get them off the ice. They are one of the hardest lines in the NHL to gain puck possession against. Even once you do, there is no better line in the NHL when it comes to backchecking and defending in their zone. I COULD see this matchup being a wash, but honestly, it is more likely the Hawks win that matchup based solely on how much better the Hawks' line is defensively.

Beleskey/Kesler/Silfverberg does match up with Bickell/Richards/Kane pretty well, sure. But the Ducks aren't going to get ALL the matchups that they want.

The issue for the Ducks will be the fact that ANY of Bickell/Richards/Kane, Sharp/Vermette/TT, or Desjardins/Kruger/Shaw can match up and neutralize the Kesler line.... Even if the 1st lines are a wash, the matchups after the first line favor the Hawks, any way you cut it. They can pretty much just roll those 3 lines without worrying about the matchups. The Ducks are going to have to choose between matching Bickell/Richards/Kane, or Sharp/Vermette/TT.

Sharp/Vermette/TT would be a second line on a lot of teams in the NHL. They'd be a 1st line on quite a few of them... Hell, I'd put my money on that line coming out ahead against the 1st line of either the Flames OR the Jets... The Hawks' 4th line is pretty much a 3rd line.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not really sure how Maroon/Getzlaf/Perry is equal to Saad/Toews/Hossa, but OK. Two of those guys pretty much cancel each other out. Saad is a much better all around player than Maroon. Hossa vs. Perry? Come on. Perry can't hold Hossa's jock defensively or in pursuit. It's not even close. Toews and Getzlaf are a wash.

The beauty of the Hawks' 1st line is, if they are in the offensive zone, you are going to have to expend a TON of energy trying to get them off the ice. They are one of the hardest lines in the NHL to gain puck possession against. Even once you do, there is no better line in the NHL when it comes to backchecking and defending in their zone. I COULD see this matchup being a wash, but honestly, it is more likely the Hawks win that matchup based solely on how much better the Hawks' line is defensively.

Beleskey/Kesler/Silfverberg does match up with Bickell/Richards/Kane pretty well, sure. But the Ducks aren't going to get ALL the matchups that they want.

The issue for the Ducks will be the fact that ANY of Bickell/Richards/Kane, Sharp/Vermette/TT, or Desjardins/Kruger/Shaw can match up and neutralize the Kesler line.... Even if the 1st lines are a wash, the matchups after the first line favor the Hawks, any way you cut it. They can pretty much just roll those 3 lines without worrying about the matchups. The Ducks are going to have to choose between matching Bickell/Richards/Kane, or Sharp/Vermette/TT.

Sharp/Vermette/TT would be a second line on a lot of teams in the NHL. They'd be a 1st line on quite a few of them... Hell, I'd put my money on that line coming out ahead against the 1st line of either the Flames OR the Jets... The Hawks' 4th line is pretty much a 3rd line.

Wait, are you really trying to say that the Getzlaf line isn't equal to the Toews line? Really?

I can completely understand the argument that Chicago edges out Anaheim in terms of depth. Or that having an elite defenseman like Keith will give them an advantage... but your argument is that the Toews line is superior to Getzlaf and Perry? That's uh, more than a little ridiculous. Do you realize that Getzlaf and Perry, just by themselves, have 5 more points than that entire line combined?

Really, that's just going beyond fan bias, to just being completely oblivious to the opposing team's players. If you put up a poll asking which line was better, I guarantee the Getzlaf line destroys them.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

You can pump tires all you want, but nobody worth their salt is going to paint the one-sided picture you just did. These teams are very close, and it could just as easily be argued that Getzlaf's line might not just matchup to the Toews line (assuming that's the case, he might go against Richards), he might actually best them... jock straps and all! :amazed:

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
I'm just excited the Hawks are going to be in a thread with a part 2 before the series starts. It's unheard of.

member 151739

Ah, the myth that never dies. Being physical won't give the Ducks an advantage over the Hawks. It doesn't work. Hawks have proven it time and time again.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Wait, are you really trying to say that the Getzlaf line isn't equal to the Toews line? Really?

I can completely understand the argument that Chicago edges out Anaheim in terms of depth. Or that having an elite defenseman like Keith will give them an advantage... but your argument is that the Toews line is superior to Getzlaf and Perry? That's uh, more than a little ridiculous. Do you realize that Getzlaf and Perry, just by themselves, have 5 more points than that entire line combined?

Really, that's just going beyond fan bias, to just being completely oblivious to the opposing team's players. If you put up a poll asking which line was better, I guarantee the Getzlaf line destroys them.

Lol yes... because the fact they can score points is the sole reason that a team will win a series. Not to mention that the toews, hossa, saad line is probably the best defensive #1 line in the nhl. They have a tendency to make it just a little bit harder to score those points that you're cherishing so much by getz and perry. Good luck to them. :laugh:

Nothingman*

I hope the Ducks try to be physical. The Hawks love all that extra space when players go out of the way to try and hit them. This has been proven time and again.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Lol yes... because the fact they can score points is the sole reason that a team will win a series. Not to mention that the toews, hossa, saad line is probably the best defensive #1 line in the nhl. They have a tendency to make it just a little bit harder to score those points that you're cherishing so much by getz and perry. Good luck to them. :laugh:

Oh right, I forgot. Getzlaf and Perry don't bother playing defense. As soon as the other team gets the puck, they just watch as they try to score. They are just so one dimensional. :facepalm:

Good lord, man. You make it sound as if I dismissed that line entirely, or said they suck or something. I'm responding to the assertion by that person that Anaheim's top line isn't, at least, equal to the Toews line. You do know that other teams have good players too, right? Chicago doesn't exist in a vacuum in the NHL. They haven't won the last 10 Stanley Cups.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd hardly say that Hawks fans are bothered by that talking point, more annoyed at hearing the same old, same old for the billionth time during the past couple years. But hey, I certainly hope that the Ducks themselves think physicality is the key to beating the Hawks, as we actually do have a good record against that style of play despite the talking point.

Ducks are a good team, Hawks are a good team, nobody should be surprised if either win (unless it's a completely one-sided affair either way).

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

And "destroy" them in a poll? You do realize what fans think doesn't matter right? :laugh:

Poll the players in the nhl and you'll have your answer of which line they would rather play against. They wouldn't be wearing red sweaters. I'll tell ya that much. :thumbu:

member 151739

Oh right, I forgot. Getzlaf and Perry don't bother playing defense. As soon as the other team gets the puck, they just watch as they try to score. They are just so one dimensional. :facepalm:

Toews, Hossa, and Saad are better defensively, Soj. Getzlaf and Perry are not one dimensional though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->