WC SF: MAY 8 GDT - SLOVAKIA vs. CANADA (1-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Van said:
You don't have to have intent to break the rules. Off-balance or not, Rob Niedermayer tripped Jan Lasak, and should have been penalized.

Yup, that sums it up exactly.

I'm happy Canada won, but this was not a game that should have ended in regulation.

But then again, in my opinion, officiating in international tournaments has seemed horrendous, so soemthing like this is not a huge surprise.

BCCHL inactive

Mountie said:
But then again, in my opinion, officiating in international tournaments has seemed horrendous, so soemthing like this is not a huge surprise.

I wouldn't call it horrendous, I would call it what the average NHL referee-hater wants.

There is a lot less Game Management in Europe. Most European referees call the game as tight as they possibly can from the puckdrop to the final buzzer.

Two different continents, two different philosophies and styles of officiating.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Van said:
I wouldn't call it horrendous, I would call it what the average NHL referee-hater wants.

There is a lot less Game Management in Europe. Most European referees call the game as tight as they possibly can from the puckdrop to the final buzzer.

Two different continents, two different philosophies and styles of officiating.

And last time i checked Majority of the world is outside of North America. And frankly the standard of the North American Refs that gets sent to these tournaments is beyond bad. They are basically peewee refs in some minor league FAR FAR FAR away in skill to be ref in a game where World championship medals are at stake.

Game management= Refs excuse for blown calls

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Van said:
Now that is just a load of horse****.

It could have just as easily been a European referee as it was an American referee.

Again, Mizral is the one who has made the most sense of why the trip was not called.
Actually we have seen in on numerous occasions, espcially in "the good old days" with Canada Cup...

Mizral said:
Is it intereference? Yes.

Should it have been called? Yes.

Then why wasn't it called?

Here's why: Slovaks were embelishing things all day, and you could tell the American ref wasn't biting. Lasak went behind the net, fell down, but did embelish things a bit, and that's why he didn't get called. Too much crying wolf.
He didn´t call it because he didn´t see it, it had absolutely nothing to do with Lasak being slow getting up again.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
And last time i checked Majority of the world is outside of North America. And frankly the standard of the North American Refs that gets sent to these tournaments is beyond bad. They are basically peewee refs in some minor league FAR FAR FAR away in skill to be ref in a game where World championship medals are at stake.

Game management= Refs excuse for blown calls
Amen to that!

Amazing that they let refs from college- and juniorleagues officiate in the World Championships.

BCCHL inactive

Kronblom, how do you know what Looker saw on the play?

Swedish Bolt Fan said:

Which North American referees have been assigned by the IIHF to "these tournaments" that have been "beyond bad", and what leagues did they work when they got their invitations?

Now is your chance....Back yourself up.

BCCHL inactive

Kronblom said:
Amazing that they let refs from college- and juniorleagues officiate in the World Championships.

Where else in North America are they going to get officials? They can't use guys from the NHL/AHL.

This is part of a College/Major Junior official's training for professional hockey in North America. Only the best guys each country has to offer get the invitations.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I won't say there is no controversy, there is some of course. The Slovaks could also have taken matters into their own hands and shown some guts by driving the net and getting one or two more ugly goals. Luongo is in far too much of a zone to be beaten with even a great shot. Are these tears being shed on this board going to bring this game back? No go out and drive the net, score some goals try to win the bronze medal, and show some guts. My god but the whining over officials, always somebody to blame , never looking inward.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Van said:
Where else in North America are they going to get officials? They can't use guys from the NHL/AHL.
This is part of a College/Major Junior official's training for professional hockey in North America. Only the best guys each country has to offer get the invitations.
Why not? There must be plenty of refs that are available.

Looking at previous years very few of these college- and junior-refs seem to end up in the NHL.

WC 1996
Brad Meier
Mike Schmitt

WC 1997
Marc Joanette
Don Adam

WC 1998
Kevin Acheson
Alex Dell

WC 1999
Stephane Auger
Alex Dell

WC 2000
Kevin Acheson
Scott Hansen

WC 2001
Dave Wright
Alex Dell

WC 2002
Scott Hutchinson
Paul Mariconda

WC 2003
Rob Matsuoka
Nicholas Dutil (Finland had 2 refs 2002, Sweden had 2 refs 2001)
Rick Looker

WC 2004
Nicolas Dutil
Rick Looker

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
Is there a video link of the controversial goal somewhere?? I cannot find one!

thx!

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
GOTEAM said:
Maybe it's time to also start banning European fans from the game too. Real classy to whistle throughout the entire Canadian anthem. I thought the Montreal fans were bad for booing the American national anthem, but that's cause they were playing an American team.....but this is so much worse, no respect for the actual country. Sheesh.

ever thought about banning those childish national anthems? all those whining about booing anthems...it's quite entertaining. boohoo, they booed our anthem, the worlds so unfair.
c'mon, some boo, some don't. i don't care about it. i don't boo anthems, but i don't cheer for the german as well. these nationalistic crap is nothing that should have a place at modern sports.

and one thing i don't understand: it's ok to boo the american anthem if you play an american team, but it's not ok to boo the canadian one altho you're playing them? i don't get it, sorry.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
That deaf, dum and blind ref...

What a big dissapointment. This was really a downer game. Looker was really bad, first the Lasak incident and then give Canada 3?? really easy penalties to back it up :( . If this kind of goal would be a "winner" in NHL play-offs there would be riots.

Of course Slovaks can take a good look in to a mirror, when they stopped playing in that situation.

Congrats to Canada they were persistant and played defensevly well!

BCCHL inactive

Kronblom said:
Why not? There must be plenty of refs that are available.

Because the CBA between the NHL and NHLOA will not allow it. I'm not 100% sure, but I also believe the IIHF has regulations against using NHL referees for their events as well.

The only exception to this has been the Olympics. Part of that deal was that NHL referees must work games where 50% of the players are NHL players.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Van said:
Kronblom, how do you know what Looker saw on the play?

Which North American referees have been assigned by the IIHF to "these tournaments" that have been "beyond bad", and what leagues did they work when they got their invitations?

Now is your chance....Back yourself up.

Last time i checked Looker is NOT a NHL ref so he is in some PEEWEE league somewhere and he is NOT skilled enough to officiate a game where WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP medals are at stake

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Van said:

Thats like Sweden should send Refs from Division 2 or something to the World :shakehead :shakehead

You do NOT practice on the work in games where medals are at stake. If Canada-USA can not send refs from the ELITE rangs they should not have any refs there period. I frankly doubt you would be pleased with a Swedish Junior league ref doing a Semi final yet the rest of the world have to suffer thru it with the North American ones.

You are a ref in peewee for a reason= not good enough to be with the biggest boys.

BCCHL inactive

Swedish Bolt Fan said:
Last time i checked Looker is NOT a NHL ref so he is in some PEEWEE league somewhere and he is NOT skilled enough to officiate a game where WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP medals are at stake

I never said Looker was an NHL referee.

Peewee? Try NCAA. The NHL does hire referees out of US College Hockey.

Swedish Bolt Fan said:
Thats like Sweden should send Refs from Division 2 or something to the World :shakehead :shakehead

You do NOT practice on the work in games where medals are at stake. If Canada-USA can not send refs from the ELITE rangs they should not have any refs there period. I frankly doubt you would be pleased with a Swedish Junior league ref doing a Semi final yet the rest of the world have to suffer thru it with the North American ones.

You are a ref in peewee for a reason= not good enough to be with the biggest boys.

:lol

You should seriously educate yourself on the calibre of hockey outside the NHL/AHL in North America.

The NHL regularly hires referees from Canadian Major Junior and US College Hockey. To suggest that the elite officials in those leagues are not capable of officiating international hockey is absurd.

And for the record, Rick Looker was not "practicing" in the Semi-Final. He was working the game because he earned it with his performance in the Round Robin. That's the way tournaments work.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Van said:
I never said Looker was an NHL referee.

Peewee? Try NCAA. The NHL does hire referees out of US College Hockey.

:lol

You should seriously educate yourself on the calibre of hockey outside the NHL/AHL in North America.

The NHL regularly hires referees from Canadian Major Junior and US College Hockey. To suggest that the elite officials in those leagues are not capable of officiating international hockey is absurd.

And for the record, Rick Looker was not "practicing" in the Semi-Final. He was working the game because he earned it with his performance in the Round Robin. That's the way tournaments work.

College hockey is so far far far away from Worlds that it is a shame that those refs gets selected.

Officiating kids and college players is NOT enough credential to be in a tournament where Mens World Championship takes place, sorry it can never be. Just like you would NEVER see

NCAA refs at the Superbowl? why you ask BECAUSE they are NOT good enough for MEN'S .... .... ....

IIHF do not need 2nd or 3rd tier refs. it makes it just as much of a joke as FIFA.

You would NEVER accept the Czechs or Finns or any other Europe country organisation sending a referee that is not one of the most merited officials in the HIGHEST league possible for that country.

And a simple Question would you like to see Europian refs that come from MAJOR JUNIOR in there respective country?? personally i DO NOT want to see those types of refs regardless of from which country they are since they are NOT good enough

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
And a simple Question would you like to see Europian refs that come from MAJOR JUNIOR in there respective country?? personally i DO NOT want to see those types of refs regardless of from which country they are since they are NOT good enough

It's not a realistic comparison. There are roughly 55,000 registered male referees in North America. There aren't more than 10,000 in the rest of the world. The officiating pool here is far deeper than the European one, so it's not unusual that very good referees are working at much lower levels here.

If the IIHF shouldn't allow 2nd or 3rd tier referees, then about 80% of the officials working international tournaments should be American or Canadian.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Lard_Lad said:
It's not a realistic comparison. There are roughly 55,000 registered male referees in North America. There aren't more than 10,000 in the rest of the world. The officiating pool here is far deeper than the European one, so it's not unusual that very good referees are working at much lower levels here.

If the IIHF shouldn't allow 2nd or 3rd tier referees, then about 80% of the officials working international tournaments should be American or Canadian.

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

And look back how "good" olympic was in regards to officiating. And if you have 55k blah blah blah amount of refs how come they every year are concider to be among the WORST at Worlds?????

BCCHL inactive

Swedish Bolt Fan said:
You would NEVER accept the Czechs or Finns or any other Europe country organisation sending a referee that is not one of the most merited officials in the HIGHEST league possible for that country.

With the exception of Switzerland, there are no professional officials in Europe. The referees selected for all IIHF events are the best amateur referees. Major Junior and College hockey is the best North America has to offer when it comes to amateur referees. Officials in the top leagues in Sweden, Finland, Russia, Germany, etc, (again, with the exception of Switzerland) all do the job part-time. They don't make their living by officiating hockey like NHL officials do.

The NHL cannot be considered for IIHF events because NHL officials' contracts will not allow them to participate in non-NHL sanctioned events.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Van said:
The NHL cannot be considered for IIHF events because NHL officials' contracts will not allow them to participate in non-NHL sanctioned events.

With the exception of Switzerland, there are no professional officials in Europe. The referees selected for all IIHF events are the best amateur referees. Major Junior and College hockey is the best North America has to offer when it comes to amateur referees.

Than dont use them, problem solve, case closed, who is next??

BCCHL inactive

Swedish Bolt Fan said:
Than dont use them, problem solve, case closed, who is next??

You make no sense.

You say they shouldn't use amateur North American referees, yet fail to realize that all referees in Europe (except the Swiss) are amateurs.

The NHL is not a top league of any country. The NHL is the NHL.

The CHL is the top league in Canada, and the NCAA is the top league in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->