WC SF: MAY 8 GDT - SLOVAKIA vs. CANADA (1-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Is it intereference? Yes.

Should it have been called? Yes.

Then why wasn't it called?

Here's why: Slovaks were embelishing things all day, and you could tell the American ref wasn't biting. Lasak went behind the net, fell down, but did embelish things a bit, and that's why he didn't get called. Too much crying wolf.

BCCHL inactive

ArtG said:
In IIHF rules if the goalie is out of the crease is he fair game? or do u have to stay away from him?

There is no hockey rulebook on the planet that allows the goaltender to be "fair game" outside his crease.

The IIHF protects the goaltenders more than the NHL does. The IIHF has a rule that states a player cannot stand in his opponent's goal crease. If a player sets up in the crease, the referee stops play and the faceoff takes place in the neutral zone. They also have the old NHL crease rule where a goal is disallowed if a player is in the crease before the puck. They just don't apply it as strictly as the NHL used to with video replay. The IIHF actually lets their referees use common sense with this rule.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
You've got to also think there was no way Niedermayer was going to skate across the back of the net without nudging Lasak in some way. And you know very well if it was even the smallest nudge, Lasak would've fell down like he was shot several times. Hey, if I were a goalie in that situation I'd probably intentionally try to get hit as well, but you can't complain when the ref doesn't call it and you're lying on your ass waiting for the whistle to blow.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Why has Marian Gaborik become such a dirty hockey player? Spearing? Slashing? If he has a problem with someone, why doesn't he drop the gloves instead of whacking the guy with his stick?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Foppa_Rules said:
Why has Marian Gaborik become such a dirty hockey player? Spearing? Slashing? If he has a problem with someone, why doesn't he drop the gloves instead of whacking the guy with his stick?

Fighting gets you kicked out of the game, for one thing.

BCCHL inactive

Foppa_Rules said:
Well he still doesn't need to whack people with his stick. That's dirty hockey. He could at least throw an extra big body check instead.

He may be 6'1", but he is a light 185 lbs. Marian Gaborik simply can't play like a Jarome Iginla.

I'm not trying to condone stickwork, but that's just how smaller players make their presence felt. It's an unfortunate part of the game. One can only hope he gets caught by the referees more often than not.

BCCHL inactive

Mizral said:
Here's why: Slovaks were embelishing things all day, and you could tell the American ref wasn't biting. Lasak went behind the net, fell down, but did embelish things a bit, and that's why he didn't get called. Too much crying wolf.

This is the only good point I have read in defence of the non-call.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
I find it hilarious listening to all the people in 90% of the threads whining about little slashes, and cross-checks and such. Its how the game is played, if you have ever played at a highly competitive level of hockey then you know what its about. If you can get away with it why not do it and get under the other teams skin? If it's not getting called of course they will do it. They arn't being "dirty hockey players" they are just trying to get an edge any way possible. If the smallish high skill players generally dont go and throw the big checks, but they need to make their presence felt somehow.

BCCHL inactive

Foppa_Rules said:
Why hasn't he been caught yet?! Recap after recap tells of Gaborik's spearing and slashing expeditions but he never gets a penalty. Probably because he's a "star".

Or just maybe he picks his spots well. Officiating high calibre minor and junior hockey, I see a lot of teams very often. I know who the cheap players are....but even if I focus on them more than anybody else, they can go a game without getting caught.

Most pro players know when the referee isn't looking.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Van said:
He may be 6'1", but he is a light 185 lbs. Marian Gaborik simply can't play like a Jarome Iginla.

I'm not trying to condone stickwork, but that's just how smaller players make their presence felt. It's an unfortunate part of the game. One can only hope he gets caught by the referees more often than not.

But it wouldn't be quite as an unfortunate part of the game if refs would call more of the crap that is pulled against skilled and star players. We see the guys like Gaborik get mugged many times without calls so they refrain to stickwork because that is there only means of defense. Even the whole Perezhogin incident which is on everyones mind these days has as a lot to do with officiating and this type of behavior by skilled players. That play NEVER happens if the refs call one of the 3 or 4 penalties Stafford gets away with including his own slash to the head, and I believe a crosscheck to the head.

Not saying its an easy thing to do or I could do better or anything, but its a fine line, where the neglect of certain calls is breeding the stickwork calls, and officials are a major contributing factor in this.

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
I'd say it was frustration more than anything...although it was a bit excessive, if you ask me. He doesn't usually do that stuff, so....

Lurker

May 30, 2002
Visit site
I don't think any goalie in his right mind tries to dive/fake or whatever in that type of situation. Maybe if it were in front of the crease but not behind it. There is always the chance that the ref doesn't see it or even if he does there are no guarantees that he will call it. A skater may do it but a goalie would have to be a huge risktaker to try it in that situation as it can be a gamebraker, which it was today.

Lasak went down due to the stickwork of Niedermeyer. The ref will not be happy with the decision to not call a penalty if he takes a look at the tape afterwards. Anyway, too bad the game was decided that way.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Lurker said:
I don't think any goalie in his right mind tries to dive/fake or whatever in that type of situation. Maybe if it were in front of the crease but not behind it. There is always the chance that the ref doesn't see it or even if he does there are no guarantees that he will call it. A skater may do it but a goalie would have to be a huge risktaker to try it in that situation as it can be a gamebraker, which it was today.

Lasak went down due to the stickwork of Niedermeyer. The ref will not be happy with the decision to not call a penalty if he takes a look at the tape afterwards. Anyway, too bad the game was decided that way.

I don't know if he dove, I am not in his mind nor did I get a very good view, but what I did see was Lasak taking WAY to much time to get back in his net either way. EVERYONE was on Kovalev for giving up on the play waiting for a penalty, as a hab fan, the sympathy isn't there from my behalf.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Predatore said:
that's the worst call of the tournament. R. Niedermayer (using his stick) runs down Lasak, Canada score. Should have been a penalty.

See YET another case of USA ref helping Canada or Canada Ref Helping USA. I have seen it so many many many times thru 30+ yrs of international hockey that it no longer is a surprise to anyone

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
I don't care if there is body contact or not, Niedermayer tripped Lasak and it should have been a penalty, Canada did not deserve that goal, anyone who says they did is obvisouly blind as bat.

Unbiased Canadian

:handclap: :handclap: And put this together with what i wrote prior to the game in regards to how North American Refs are when they officiate another North American Team.

And doing what he later did in making a bunch of makeup calls DO NOT work, The damage is already done.

BCCHL inactive

Swedish Bolt Fan said:
See YET another case of USA ref helping Canada or Canada Ref Helping USA. I have seen it so many many many times thru 30+ yrs of international hockey that it no longer is a surprise to anyone

Now that is just a load of horse****.

It could have just as easily been a European referee as it was an American referee.

Again, Mizral is the one who has made the most sense of why the trip was not called.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
incawg said:
Perhaps you need to queue it up on your tivo, because you obviously did not watch it closely the first time. When he dropped to his ice his gloves did move off his hands, straight from the Darcy Tucker "writhing in pain" embellishment handbook. The leg kicking is always a nice touch.

Leave Tucker out of this!

BCCHL inactive

Leafer4Life said:
Okay guys, quit b!tchin' about the refs! Niedermayer was off balance. In this case the refs made the right choice in not calling a penalty. Now get over it. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's reality.

You don't have to have intent to break the rules. Off-balance or not, Rob Niedermayer tripped Jan Lasak, and should have been penalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->