WC SF: May 14 GDT - Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
100%
and hearing how tsn puts it nicely : two big breaks. geez, on that face-off they penalized Kovulchuk. then Maltby clearly cross-checked, but I guess Markov got eyes on the back of his head, so he "dived."

BS.

roccol said:
Absolutely the worst officiating I have ever seen for a game like this.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
kolanos said:
Finnish ref needs some lessons in logic.

You give Markov a diving penalty, then you penalize Maltby for roughing? Hmm...

He did not give Maltby anything, but he needs some logic because he stopped the game when Canada had the puck.

And yeah its actually very usual that both the diver and the cross checker get a penalty. I know it's a stupid rule too, but totally standard procedure. You hardly ever see calls where only the diver gets a penalty...this time he did.

roccol

Mar 9, 2004
I just turned on the game with 7 min left in the period. How was the rest of the period?

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
kolanos said:
Thought I saw him in the penalty box... hmm.

That's cause even he thought he was getting a penalty. :joker:
They give offsetting penalties for tripping/diving in the NHL pretty frequently too, it's really rare to just get the one for diving. I'm not surprised the Russians are pissed though they should be more pissed at themselves for their awful play.

Morrow's lucky he didn't really hurt Malkin on that hit, that was right at the dangerous distance from the boards.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
Vicious said:
That was a bad call... Maltby should have gotten a penalty for cross checking, imo.
Maltby didn't use his stick at all. Markov was flailing before Maltby even made contact, I think Markov knew he was beat on Maltby's forecheck and decided to go down in hopes he'd draw a penalty.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Russia will never win consistently at the international level until they get a decent coach. They're not matching lines. Yashin killing penalties? Give me a break. It's a clinic for Canada so far, but it bothers me that they aren't showing the killer instinct. They've throttled it back a bit and that scares me.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
roccol said:
Absolutely the worst officiating I have ever seen for a game like this.

You need to watch more International Hockey...he hasn't been great but he hasn't been that bad either. At least he had the sack to call the dive and not the crosscheck that wouldn't have broken an eggshell. The dive was worse than the crosscheck was IMO and calling both is a cop out.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
TML-SM said:
100%
and hearing how tsn puts it nicely : two big breaks. geez, on that face-off they penalized Kovulchuk. then Maltby clearly cross-checked, but I guess Markov got eyes on the back of his head, so he "dived."

BS.

Maybe Maltby should have gotten a penalty, but that was clearly a dive by Markov.

mackdogs*

Great staredown Brodeur gave to Ovechkin after stopping his shot. Solid effort in that period, Canada's tanacity can't be matched.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
MykeAbner said:
Yeah, it is pretty hard to hear if you are saying that seriously or sarcastically over the internet.

I figured it was pretty obvious...considering I am Canadian. And considering that swedish guy who was accusing canada of cheating throught the entire sweden canada game and ever since.

danista

Mar 25, 2004
Cologne, Germany
What a bad officiating by Henriksson. A canadian player holds Afionogenov for 5 seconds then Afinogenov pushes him away and gets 2 for roughing? The last call should be 2 min. Maltby or no penalty but not 2 min. for diving??
The penalties against Regehr and Denisov you shouldn't call, either.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
TML-SM said:
see an optometrist, seriously, dude.
Maltby hit Markov on his right side (Maltby's right side). Markov turned his back to Maltby at the last minute to receive a pass. Maltby did NOT cross-check Markov, hit from behind maybe, but NOT a cross-check.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Canada was of course much better (the ultimate purpose of this game is to score more goals than your opponent...), but was also helped by crappy officiating. :rant:

For the record, I don´t believe in any kind wacko conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->