WC SF: May 12th GDT - Russia vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Whoa, what a diving squad the Russians put out here. Thank god the ref only fell for a few of them. He was weak otherwise though, he had no balls at all. Especially when it came time to give Russians some penalties.

Still, I was surprised how weak Team Russia was in this game. Without Malkin they wouldn't have had any real offense at all. Morozov apparently made a big difference.

Awesome game from Ruutu, Koivu and Lehtonen. Where's that guy who said that our 83s are doing nothing at this tournament?

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Very straigthforward comments from Peltonen about Russia's continuous diving:
"I'm proud of the way we always got up after being banged around," said Finnish captain Ville Peltonen. "Nobody was lying around. Their team has done that in this tournament, and that's not the way to play. They've had players in this tournament lying on the ice. Sometimes someone gets seriously injured, and it's not the right thing to do if you're not seriously hurt. You have to respect this game and respect the other players."

http://www.ihwc.net/english/article/recaps/index.ihwc?&artId=2675

Edit: there seemed to be an own thread about this Mediterranean hockey style

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
It's about time someone steps up and makes public comments about the absolutely disgraceful style of hockey the russians play, their whole game plan seemed to be about diving and trying to fish penalties from the absolutely horrible international referees (after watching Winnebårg screwing up the game I will never complain about Magoo).

Russians deserved to be lose the game simply because the style they play.

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
It's about time someone steps up and makes public comments about the absolutely disgraceful style of hockey the russians play, their whole game plan seemed to be about diving and trying to fish penalties from the absolutely horrible international referees (after watching Winnebårg screwing up the game I will never complain about Magoo).

Russians deserved to be lose the game simply because the style they play.

:nopity:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
It wasn't intentional either.
Markov seems to think Bergenheim's knee was intentional.

Markov is back. The time for excuses is over.
Only for a couple of shifts. He missed the final and is still hobbling.

What an idiotic set of plays by Kharitonov. Tries to dive to get a penalty for Finland, fails, then takes a stupid retaliatory penalty. :biglaugh:
Meet the pride and joy of Russia's national team regardless of the coach or tournament. :D

Who was that defender who was supposed to be defending against Koivu?
Ilya Nikulin

Eremenko you suck, Kari you rule!!!
Personally, I thought Eremenko had a very good tournament, and not just on the grounds that he had the top save percentage and goals against average.

Then that means that Team Russia is a one-man team and you will never win like that.
Losing three critical players is a catastrophe for any team, and yes, victory is seldom in such situations.

You saw the game, did you? Which team was the one that was diving and making theatratical acts all the way?
Indeed I did see the game, and while its undeniable that some Russian players dove, there was some embellishment on Finland's part as well. In any case, the better team is the one that wins. Congratulations on your silver medal. :cheers:

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Come down you, hot-headed Finns and Estonians... Why don't you take a look at how your team plays? And I am not talking about the boring and uncreative hockey that you showed. Maybe if you didn't use your sticks so much on Russian players, they wouldn't get the opportunity to exaggerate the extent of it?

Congrats on the silver medal, but the luck might just run out one day...

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
As an impartial outsider I get such a kick out of watching Russians trying to compare themselves to the Finns in hockey. The Finns are 10 times the hockey nation Russia is. More Finns have made it to the NHL than Russians, pretty amazing considering the population of Russia is 30 times that of Finland.

Let's face it, in the last 15 years the Russians have dropped to maybe the 4th or 5th best team in Europe, clearly behind Sweden, Finland, Czech's, and arguably not much better than the Slovak's.

I realize things aren't that great in Russia right now, and I think a lot of posters are sympathetic to that, but don't let these hard times take your dignity too.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Losing three critical players is a catastrophe for any team, and yes, victory is seldom in such situations.
Even after losing three players, your team still had more skill than any other team. I do realize that losing players take away the balance and chemistry. Still, I think that Russia should have been a bit more creative offensively against Finland.

Indeed I did see the game, and while its undeniable that some Russian players dove, there was some embellishment on Finland's part as well. In any case, the better team is the one that wins. Congratulations on your silver medal. :cheers:
Everyone embellishes nowadays, but the play dead theatrical is worse and so pathetic and Eastern Europeans are the main stars. The Czechs used to be masters at falling dead as if they were gunned down but it looks like the Russians are trying to overshadow the masters.

Faktisti*

ppl said that this russia is far different and there are not only great players, but they should play as a team as well. but what happened? why did russia lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->