WC QROUND: May 9 GDT - Finland vs. Latvia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Irbe makes another save standing up/not even having to move...wow...the Latvians came very close to grabbing a rebound on an open net. 2 min. to go

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
GAme over :propeller Finland Latvia tie...now we prepare for a mathmatically confusing assortment of possibilities...

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Shack said:
Irbe is only standing there. He doesn't have to move, coz our players are shooting at him.
Then he has been perfectly positioned.

Latvia fought hard and kept Team Finland out of scoring positions and tried to score too. Still, not a good game from Team Finland but it wasn't horrible either imo. Gotta respect Latvia's attitude and disciplined game. :clap:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Padawan said:
Then he has been perfectly positioned.

Latvia fought hard and kept Team Finland out of scoring positions and tried to score too. Still, not a good game from Team Finland but it wasn't horrible either imo. Gotta respect Latvia's attitude and disciplined game. :clap:

I'm glad that Latvia played well :yo: Based on what they have shown so far in this tourney and the rising popularity of hockey in the country, Latvia might well become the 8th hockey nation.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Leke said:
Lousy game by finns.
So much for teams "good spirits" after Canada match.

Sweden vs. Latvia is the game to wait for.
Yes...Latvia will play the same defensive game...and Irbe is "ON" ...over 140 minutes without a goal against.
I'm thinking Latvia could stun Sweden.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Everest said:
Yes...Latvia will play the same defensive game...and Irbe is "ON" ...over 140 minutes without a goal against.
I'm thinking Latvia could stun Sweden.

And having seen how Lundqvist has been sucking pucks in, they actually might score 4 or more.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Latvia would advance with any kind of victory over Sweden. Both FIN and LAT have now goal difference of -1.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
All we need now is that Latvia beats Sweden tomorrow... :sarcasm: Thankfully Sweden has some importance in the game tomorrow. IF we go through to quarterfinals do you guys think that we should go back to the same lineup that we had against Canada (our best game so far) ? I would definately like to see that happening. (Peltonen as a 13th forward/a scratch)

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
Worst match of these championships so far....what a bore :cry:

Sweden will want to win tomorrow, in order to get the easy 1/4 final. If Latvia go through, Finland deserve to go out. Theyve done nothing to deserve a place in these 1/4 finals IMO.

Scraping a win against a terrible danish team
Fairly comfortable win vs Ukraine
Terrible performance in loss to Sweden
Giving up a lead against USA with secons to go
Giving up a 2 goal lead with 15mins to go...(tho i admit, 'that' disallowed goal was important, and Finland played pretty well)
Terrible game vs mediocre Latvia..

However, i still think Finland will scrape through. Swe 3-1 Lat

Kain

Mar 10, 2005
On the Road...Again
So what's happening now? I originally thought that Finland just needed to tie this game in order to advance. What are the possible game outcomes that have to happen tomorrow in order for Finland to go on? I've been working on this research paper too long, so my brain can't do the math. Bleh... :confused:

Edit: Ughh...I re-read the thread again. What are everyone's opinions on whether Lativa will win Sweden tomorrow? If Sweden plays like they did with Canada, I don't think the Finns will be advancing... :shakehead

Last edited:

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Kain said:
So what's happening now? I originally thought that Finland just needed to tie this game in order to advance. What are the possible game outcomes that have to happen tomorrow in order for Finland to go on? I've been working on this research paper too long, so my brain can't do the math. Bleh... :confused:
I repeat, if Latvia beats Sweden they´ll advance. Otherwise Finland goes to quarterfinals.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Jokerit Wasp said:
Worst match of these championships so far....what a bore :cry:
IMO this wasn't the worst match. Latvia defended quite well. IMHO the game against Team Sweden was easily the worst match of this tournament. Yes, Team Sweden is better than Team Latvia on paper but we we're totally beaten by th swedish. We scored a fluke goal in that game and that was the only good thing in that game. This game we had a shutout and pretty good defensive game as well.
Kain said:
I thought so too but that was before the Team USA - Team Ukraine game. Now, basicly Team Latvia can't win for Finland to go through. A draw and a win to Team Sweden and we're through. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
hahaha, another tie against a second tier team! this WCH is a complete joke!

next year they'll play in the mud, and some African team will take the Gold medal

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
:shakehead

What a sloppy game once again! This team does not deserve to go in to quarter-finals. Latvia should've won, and I really hope they win tomorrow against Sweden and drop this ridicilous pansy team Finland out of the tournament!

Kapanen's line was decent, Bäckström was decent and Ruutu did his job by delivering some punishing body checks. All others were huge disappointments. Olli Jokinen, Tomi Kallio!?!? Our first line forwards? Goddammit these guys sucked! They had no idea whatsoever what to do with the puck. They were just dumping it or throwing stupid sloppy passes. At least there were some brief moments where Hagman did something intelligent, but that was about it. None of the defenders were able to give simple easy passes out of our own zone, they just seemed to be in total panic all the time, much like against Sweden. And why the hell can't Finnish players shoot?!? B-juniors shoot better than these clowns.

We had a team full of 4th lines. Nobody had the skills, nobody wanted to take resbonsibility, nobody wanted to pay the price, nobody had the grit and guts... They just wanted to play 0-0. Disgusting.

Congrats to Latvija! I'll be cheering for you against Sweden tomorrow. :handclap:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
If i am Latvia i push for the win in THIS match, not try and wait for a win over the Swedes, they were one goal away from advancing and did very little about it, no sense of urgency. Both teams should just get an automatic tournament ejection for playing poor hockey. latvia battled in their own zone, D men throwing themselves in front of shots but the poor attack play from both sides was just sad. I really like Backstrom, he's more or less a vacuum in net , not a huge guy but great rebound control. Hagman is giving his all.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
re:

Ipa said:
:shakehead

What a sloppy game once again! This team does not deserve to go in to quarter-finals. Latvia should've won, and I really hope they win tomorrow against Sweden and drop this ridicilous pansy team Finland out of the tournament!

Kapanen's line was decent, Bäckström was decent and Ruutu did his job by delivering some punishing body checks. All others were huge disappointments. Olli Jokinen, Tomi Kallio!?!? Our first line forwards? Goddammit these guys sucked! They had no idea whatsoever what to do with the puck. They were just dumping it or throwing stupid sloppy passes. At least there were some brief moments where Hagman did something intelligent, but that was about it. None of the defenders were able to give simple easy passes out of our own zone, they just seemed to be in total panic all the time, much like against Sweden. And why the hell can't Finnish players shoot?!? B-juniors shoot better than these clowns.
We had a team full of 4th lines. Nobody had the skills, nobody wanted to take resbonsibility, nobody wanted to pay the price, nobody had the grit and guts... They just wanted to play 0-0. Disgusting.

Congrats to Latvija! I'll be cheering for you against Sweden tomorrow. :handclap:

Yeah, nice going. You are a prototypical BANDWAGON jumper. I am reminded of the greater populus of the Toronto area with those comments.

:madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->