WC QROUND: May 9 GDT - Finland vs. Latvia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Well, this is a must win for Finland. Two good fights against USA and Canada were not enough to secure the spot in the quarter-finals. On the other hand it's good that we don't have to play meaningless games at this point of the tournament.

All the pressure is on us though. Finland is a heavy favourite and Latvia has nothing to lose. The longer they keep the score even, the better their chances are. Then all you need is a one good chance or lucky bounce and... Actually I'm not afraid of this game at all. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost, because in ice-hockey I'm very sympathetic toward Latvija, and I can only imagine what a great party they would have down there in Riga if they dropped us from the quarters... :cheers:

Ok, I still hope Finland wins this. It may not be pretty, but we will win. Suomi 3, 4 - Latvija 1, 2. Jarkko Ruutu scores two "will-goals" in the third period and shuts up the nay-sayers. ;)

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Finland hasnt lost to a weak nation in the world champs since aeons ago. 4-1 finland, maybe 4-2. Cant see the boys scoring more, and cant see our goaltenders pull a shutout.

Cono

Oct 17, 2004
Turku
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Finland hasnt lost to a weak nation in the world champs since aeons ago.

I can´t see Latvija as a weak nation anymore. I think it´s a pretty good team nowadays.

Leke

May 8, 2005
Suomussalmi, Finland
Hi folks! New face here.

We really should not underestimate Latvia!
And look at what happened to Canada when they had a tough game against swedes before facing us!

Pikku-Hakki (Hagman) is on fire now! Im sure he will keep his game going. Maybe not as well as against Canada but Im sure he will play a good game today.

Let's just hope that coaching doesn't start acting stupid and bench Bäckström. He is a solid goalie and one who has some games under his belt.

I would say.. 3-1 for Finland.

Streaker-man

Oct 7, 2004
Finland
5-2 for Finland. As said earlier I believe that this will be a solid game for Finland but Latvia is too good to go with a shutout.

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
Fin 4-2 Lat

Is Backstrom continuing in goal?? if they wonna try Nurminen, tonights the last chance IMO.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Suomi tänään

Hagman - O.Jokinen - Kallio

Pärssinen - Kapanen - Hentunen

Peltonen - Viuhkola - J.Jokinen

Ruutu - Pakaslahti - Eloranta
Rita

Bäckström

Peltonen is back, D-pairings are still uncertain, Nummelin and Timonen possibly out.

I like our third line, it can even make something happen out there.Looks like Westerlund tries to make more depth to that lineup.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
re:

Make #89 said:
Suomi tänään

Rita

Bäckström

Peltonen is back, D-pairings are still uncertain, Nummelin and Timonen possibly out.

I like our third line, it can even make something happen out there.Looks like Westerlund tries to make more depth to that lineup.

I don't think Finland will have a problem with Latvia. Irbe is a solid goalie, so the score will be around 2,3,4 for Finland... AAHHH , I would say 3-1 Finland.

:handclap:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Make #89 said:
I think Timonen's loss we can handle. He was already out of the game against Team Canada and Team Finland played well but Nummelin? He was one of the best d-men we had in that game. I hope he can play.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Go Finland! I think we Russians have no chance against the bitter Latvians, so please, kick their ass!

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Well, Are my calculations right ? Russia will play against USA if Finland win with "+6" goal difference and will play against Finladn if Finland win with less than "+6". Am I right ? Please, correct.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Make #89 said:
Suomi tänään

Rita

Nice to see that our coaching staff is awake.
It would have been stupid if they had changed Hagman back to 3rd. Peltonen is now at the right place according to his performance in this tournament.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Finland has been the most physicasl team of the tourney...and it shows on the roster (depleted) if they can pull a win out today...I'd be impressed! Should be a close one.

Cono

Oct 17, 2004
Turku
Kaizer said:
Well, Are my calculations right ? Russia will play against USA if Finland win with "+6" goal difference and will play against Finladn if Finland win with less than "+6". Am I right ? Please, correct.

"+5" is enough for Finland to beat USA.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
Shack said:
Nice to see that our coaching staff is awake.
It would have been stupid if they had changed Hagman back to 3rd. Peltonen is now at the right place according to his performance in this tournament.

Swop Kallio and Jussi Jokinen and we have our ideal lines.. oh and scratch eloranta

Hagman-jokinen-jokinen
hentunen-kapanen-pärssinen
peltonen-viuhkola-kallio
ruutu-pakaslahti- hahl/rita

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Kaizer said:
Russia will play against USA if Finland win with "+6" goal difference and will play against Finladn if Finland win with less than "+6". Am I right ? Please, correct.

I think it's way too early for these kind of speculations. For example, if we win Latvia and if Canada loses to Ukraine, then you'll have to play Canada...

But of course Russia vs. Finland seems to be the most probable quarter-final pair. In Finnish Jatkoaika-forums there already seems to be a thread called "Quarter-finals Russia - Finland". Actually it would be pretty funny to read that thread after Latvija kicked our butt. :biglaugh:

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
HUGE GAME: If Latvia upsets Finland...Finland will NOT qualify for the quarters for the first time since the 1950's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad