WC QF: May 9 GDT - Sweden vs. Slovakia

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Im not saying that, the Swedes deserved to win but who knows what happens if the goal on 2-3 didnt count.

There surely was some questionable calls, i am not debating that.

Anyway, a guy like Visnovsky would have made wonders for this Slovak team(he was playing in Gothenburg, right?), i guess they where lacking discipline and mobility on the D to win this game.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
There surely was some questionable calls, i am not debating that.

Anyway, a guy like Visnovsky would have made wonders for this Slovak team(he was playing in Gothenburg, right?), i guess they where lacking discipline and mobility on the D to win this game.
He was.

A team like Germany would have beat us today with our D coverage.

Also, a D of:
Chara-Podhradsky
Strbak-Jurcina
Granak-Harant
Stehlik

wont win any championships. Chara played real well but Jurcina again lacked hockey sense and Strbak and Starosta were solid but the other 3 were bad.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
He was.

A team like Germany would have beat us today with our D coverage.

Also, a D of:
Chara-Podhradsky
Strbak-Jurcina
Granak-Harant
Stehlik

wont win any championships. Chara played real well but Jurcina again lacked hockey sense and Strbak and Starosta were solid but the other 3 were bad.

What happened to Lintner? I always recall him as a stud, atleast when playing for the national side.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
What happened to Lintner? I always recall him as a stud, atleast when playing for the national side.
Was injured and wasnt even called last season. Maybe he retired from the national team, I dont know.

I liked him. Sure more than Richard 'I want a NHL contract but give giveaways like its Christmas' Stehlik.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
Chara played real well but Jurcina again lacked hockey sense and Strbak and Starosta were solid but the other 3 were bad.

What? Did I watch the same game? Chara was terrible. Slow, non-physicall, bad positioning, just skating slowly here and there and stretching out his large stick.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
We are a tactically skilled team? :D

We really need to get a good tactical coach. BAG ate up the Hossa line by using Jorgen Jonsson against them ALL the time. Our coaches dont know what line matching is.

Czech and Slovak trained players are usually very well schooled in tactics and usually play a tight system with fast counter attacks.
Maybe the Slovak team do need a more modern coach to take advantage of that though.

pappa jan

Jun 26, 2003
downtown
Visit site
It was due to 2 things:
a) The goal on 2-3 shouldnt have counted as Jurcina didnt interfeer with the Swedish player that for him to crash into the goalie. He didnt change the path the player was going.I was watching on the Czech broadcast and they said that it shouldnt have been a goal.
b) When Jurcina got 2 for cross-checking, Steen slashed Krizan on the hand and no penalty was called while on the other side Gaborik's goal was disallowed (which was a right call) but from Gaborik's point of view, I can see why he was so upset.
How can you say that the 3-2 goal shouldn't have been a goal?! He was crosschecked into Krizan. To blame the loss on the referee is just atrocious. Sweden clearly outplayed Slovakia in the second half of the first period, the whole second period, and outside of the first 6 minutes of the third, had full control of the game.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
What? Did I watch the same game? Chara was terrible. Slow, non-physicall, bad positioning, just skating slowly here and there and stretching out his large stick.

I'm not sure that it was just Chara's own fault, the swedish players said before the game that they had to get the Slovak D's to move as much as possible, since that's what they're worst at.

Or to quote J.Jönsson (Chara's ex-Captain in Färjestad)."always get him move, start, stop and change direction, it takes a lot of effort turn that big frame around".

Which was exactly what they did.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Well, when your defensive partner is chasing the opponents and the whole D system is a mess, he had to basically defend 2 players at a time.

Unlike many others, I wasnt afraid when Chara had the puck as I knew he wouldnt make any big mistakes (like Harant or Stehlik did).

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Czech and Slovak trained players are usually very well schooled in tactics and usually play a tight system with fast counter attacks.
Maybe the Slovak team do need a more modern coach to take advantage of that though.
We sure do. We always recycle the same coaches on the national squad.

Could we get BAG from you for the next WC's? :D

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
How can you say that the 3-2 goal shouldn't have been a goal?! He was crosschecked into Krizan. To blame the loss on the referee is just atrocious. Sweden clearly outplayed Slovakia in the second half of the first period, the whole second period, and outside of the first 6 minutes of the third, had full control of the game.
Did you even read my 2nd post after that? I didnt say Sweden didnt deserve to win but that call could have gone either way.

Faktisti*

omg i cant beleave that sverige won with those players. against finland they had only good luck.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Also, a D of:
Chara-Podhradsky
Strbak-Jurcina
Granak-Harant
Stehlik

Sweden didn't have a single NHL player on the blueline! ;)

Seriously though, with the crackdown on hooks and holds, and no-redline, I am 125% sure that the best way to play hockey is to hold on to the puck as much as possible. Defense is best offense. You can't play like the Slovaks did, or like Calgary or Atlanta does in the NHL to name a few, not against a team that plays a puck poession style.

You must hold on to the puck when you got it, its too hard to defend, and too easy to attack. The Slovaks gives the puck away allot, wants the other team to have the puck so they can make a misstake so that the Slovaks can counter attack.

Players like Marian Gaborik, Hossa and Demitra dissapeared while Torgny freakin Mårtensson looked like a mix of Pavel Bure and Wayne Gretzky. Martin Törnberg wouldn't score 25 pts in the AHL, yet he plays a awsome game tonight.

Sweden played pretty well against Russia too. Look at our roster.

The Slovak D's aren't good, but thats defenitly not the issue. Its all about the style, the tactic. The Rangers play almost the same puckpoession style as Sweden, they outshoot the other team more then 80% of the time for the last quater of the season, before gooing up against Buffalo they had lost like 3 games in the last 30 in regulation.

Puckpoession is defenitly the name of the game these days. Remember that Sweden got a really sheitty roster to say the least.

pappa jan

Jun 26, 2003
downtown
Visit site
Did you even read my 2nd post after that? I didnt say Sweden didnt deserve to win but that call could have gone either way.
Yeah i read it, but you still brought up the disputed call, which at least looks like you partly blame the loss on the refs, which would be totally wrong.

But it seems we agree that the better team won, and that's all that really matters.

pappa jan

Jun 26, 2003
downtown
Visit site
Remember that Sweden got a really sheitty roster to say the least.
What's so ****** about Emvall, Åkerman, Warg, Månsson, Thörnberg, Khanberg, Sandström, etc.:)

Seriously though, it really like you said, that the puck-possesion style that the swedes use, really benefits from the new level of ruling. MÃ¥rtensson, Davidsson and Wallin can all dangle the puck at will sometimes it seems, even though they're marginal "NHLers" at best. The collective beat its parts 1000-fold on this team, and i'm not a bit surprised. The winning atmosphere that BÃ…G has brought to this team is just amazing. These days im never worried about what team is put on the ice, you know that they will eventually win, or as in the game against russia, put in a good effort.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What's so ****** about Emvall, Åkerman, Warg, Månsson, Thörnberg, Khanberg, Sandström, etc.:)

Seriously though, it really like you said, that the puck-possesion style that the swedes use, really benefits from the new level of ruling. MÃ¥rtensson, Davidsson and Wallin can all dangle the puck at will sometimes it seems, even though they're marginal "NHLers" at best. The collective beat its parts 1000-fold on this team, and i'm not a bit surprised. The winning atmosphere that BÃ…G has brought to this team is just amazing. These days im never worried about what team is put on the ice, you know that they will eventually win, or as in the game against russia, put in a good effort.

Yeah, though I wouldn't want to see this team play a good team that plays like us, would be ugly. ;)

We also got players on all lines too who are really good defensivly, we don't got any speed, size and strength, but we are good defensivly among our forwards, defenitly world-class.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
I can't help but wonder what Per Svartvadet and Niklas Sundström would have done for this team. I suspect Sweden would be much better defensively atleast.

And dammit, why won't BÃ…G use Wernblom in PP!?! He always gets the puck in the net, somewhow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad