WC QF: May 6 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (5-4 OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Garfield said:
Relax. You were the one saying "jesus christ guys" becuse everyone was saying that the Finns are not contenders for the World Cup. So WE were talking about the World Cup and YOU were talking about today.

Look, I was under the impression that this is the "world championships" > WC QF: May 6 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (5-4 OT) thread, not the WORLD CUP thread.

If you guys are discussing WORLD CUP teams and games here, then you are WAY off subject

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
Look, I was under the impression that this is the "world championships" > WC QF: May 6 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (5-4 OT) thread, not the WORLD CUP thread.

If you guys are discussing WORLD CUP teams and games here, then you are WAY off subject

Whatever. :shakehead

And by the way, the game was over so we can discuss anything regarding Canada & Finland, that includes their next possible matchup in the World Cup.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Garfield said:
Whatever. :shakehead

And by the way, the game was over so we can discuss anything regarding Canada & Finland, that includes their next possible matchup in the World Cup.

No, in this thread we should discuss this particular game. Hence the topic. Got it?

SChan*

We are talking about the World Cup rosters. When Canada adds Sakic, Iginla, Bertuzzi (questionable), Thornton, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Marleau, Blake, Pronger, Brodeur, Foote, Peca etc..., Canada will not be dominated at all by the Finns. That's what we are saying. The Finns goaltending will be better but I still don't think they can medal at the World Cup unless Kiprusoff steals a couple games.

Sweden beat Canada with that type of players plus Mario Lemiuex 5-2 2002. So it's not a given that you would beat the finns that easy even with those players.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
No, in this thread we should discuss this particular game. Hence the topic. Got it?

You can't tell me what I can and cannot discuss. The game was over and there were others discussing this with me. Got it ??

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
SantaCruZer said:
Sweden beat Canada with that type of players plus Mario Lemiuex 5-2 2002. So it's not a given that you would beat the finns that easy even with those players.

Never said it was a gimme. Just saying that Canada will improve a lot more than Finland will when the World Cup rosters are set.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Garfield said:
Never said it was a gimme. Just saying that Canada will improve a lot more than Finland will when the World Cup rosters are set.

I could talk about Nagano, but this thread really is about what happened today, Got it? How much more simple do you need it? LOOK AT THE TOPIC!

Canada won, they were lucky and finnish goaltending sucked in few key moments. Finland was the dominating force today but it makes no difference in who goes to semifinals.

If you are too simple to get a very subtle point....

This was a discussion about ONE (1) hockey game. Not about "world ranking".

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
The discussion about World Cup started because of Finland's defeat today and Jyssy's (and others) comments about Finland's future among the elite countries. I don't think it is crazy to analyse teams/players/next coming events in a GDT, after the game (especially as nobody seems interested in discussing the current game anymore ;)).

But hey, if some of you posters think this is out of this world I can split the thread, starting a new thread with Jyssy's post.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Yeah I think it should be separated. Jyssy is the traditional Finn, turning his back on a losing moment.

I wish we could keep the GDT on normal GDT terms and not "what happens in 2034 olympics" or whatever. Jyssy I have no respect for.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
psycho_dad,
Grr, I tried splitting it, but it seems the thread is too big. I could only list the first 100 posts or so in the "Split Thread Feature". So I couldn't select the posts that I wanted to move. *sorry* :)

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
"Dominance" is an awfully strong word to describe a game as even as this one IMO. Finland might have outplayed Canada by a small margin, but it was hardly dominating. I mean, just look at how we "dominated" in the OT... :blush:

Anyways, it was a good game where goaltending turned out to be the deciding factor. The last starter we had who *didn't* blow his chance in the World Championships was...let's see...Ari Sulander in 1998? Or was Myllys the starter that year? Well, in any case Sulander blew it in '99 (while backup Miikka Kiprusoff didn't) and '00 (along with Vesa Toskala, while backup Pasi Nurminen didn't). Then in '01 it was Kiprusoff's turn (while backup Nurminen played solid) and in '02 it was Markkanen despite his impressive stats (frankly, they lied). And last year...you guessed it. Nurminen and Hurme *both* blew it.

So many NHL goaltenders and Jarmo Myllys still remains our finest goalie in clutch situations?!

aonez

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Why on earth was not Fredrik Norrena in the net? I can not in my wildest dream see that Noronen would be better than Fredrik Norrena. With Norrena in the net I think Finland would have gone through this round.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Jyssy said:
I have been sceptic all along, you seem to know lot about me.

Enough about you. I know people who are just like you.

Pessimists never have to feel bad...they are either right, or they are proven wrong but nobody remembers it at that time so they celebrate among the optimists and winners.

I only respect people who are behind their favourites in winning and losing. Anyone else is just an empty jacket, and can f*** **f. Such people are not usefull in any aspect of life. They just waste oxygen.

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
psycho_dad said:
I only respect people who are behind their favourites in winning and losing. Anyone else is just an empty jacket, and can f*** **f. Such people are not usefull in any aspect of life. They just waste oxygen.
Critisism is forbidden? I am finnish and proud of it! I am just concerned about our hockey! Does that make me less patriotic?

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
psycho_dad said:
Enough about you. I know people who are just like you.

Pessimists never have to feel bad...they are either right, or they are proven wrong but nobody remembers it at that time so they celebrate among the optimists and winners.

You need to relax and stop starting fights with people who mean no harm.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
as evident, no one is no longer interested in discussing hockey in this thread, so it is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->