WC QF: May 10th GDT - Canada Switzerland

bollos

Apr 10, 2007
The wilds of BC
One of the benefits of being old and retired.....I get to watch all the games. Only prob is they are on kind of early here on the west coast (5am this morning)

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks mate, good to hear ! I am really wondering what will happen with him coming over to NA next season... I actually think he could become better than both Aebischer and Gerber, so we'll see in 2-3 years
He's already better than Aebischer.I don't know why but the guy has really regressed this year he has been horrible.

Hiller is the Anti-Aebischer right now excellent rebound control and positionally sound.

tsunami

Feb 28, 2002
Bienne - Switzerland
Visit site
He's already better than Aebischer.I don't know why but the guy has really regressed this year he has been horrible.

Hiller is the Anti-Aebischer right now excellent rebound control and positionally sound.

Not quite agree - He had stretches this year when he was really good, and then some very very bad ones - His problem is consistency - One day he plays fantastic and the next one like ****, which makes it difficult to be a starter in the NHL

Hiller seems much more stable and like you said has excellent rebound control and positionning

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Damn Swedish TV for not showing this game. They showed the Russia - Czech game. asswipes.

Canada - Sweden's gonna be a nice one. Last years semi was a killer. Sweden will ofcourse win again, but by a larger margin this time.
Erh?

It was on Viasat Sport 1.

As usual, all the games are distributed over Viasat's different channels, Tv3, Tv6 and Sports 1 depending on how important they are regarded.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
One of the benefits of being old and retired.....I get to watch all the games. Only prob is they are on kind of early here on the west coast (5am this morning)
If you're old and retired, you should be up for the morning coffee by then. ;) And if not, you're walking in European hockey fan shoes. I can't even count the nights and early mornings watching NHL or the World Cup in football (soccer) in some distant country across the globe.

Last edited:

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
If you're old and retired, you should be up for the morning coffee by then. ;) And if not, you're walking in European hockey fan shoes. I can't even count the nights and early mornings watching NHL or the World Cup in football (soccer) in some distant country across the globe.

Oh how I hate west coast games ...

East coast games normally start at 01:00 am, which can be handled, but Red Wings playing some surfing quacks at 04:30 in the morning ...

NHL should pass a rule that no game would be allowed to start later than 7:00 ET :)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Oh how I hate west coast games ...

East coast games normally start at 01:00 am, which can be handled, but Red Wings playing some surfing quacks at 04:30 in the morning ...

NHL should pass a rule that no game would be allowed to start later than 7:00 ET :)
Yeah, it'll kill you if you're a fan of a western conference team in Europe. It's almost impossible to watch them live. Luckily, I focus my fanship on an eastern conference team.

I've watched a couple of western conference playoff games. I can tell you I'm not happy when they go to multiple OT.

Macman

May 15, 2004
That was one horrible hockey game. It had about as much flow as maple syrup in January. The Swiss spent the whole game trapping, waiting for power plays and turnovers. Yuck.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Just got back from the game, the game was a bit boring actually but still few thoughts:
- Hiller was good and saved Switzerland a lot.
- Swiss players took realy unnecessary penalties and couldn't score when they had chances in 1st and 2nd period .
- Canada has a special guy who puts bottle with water on the goal's net ;)
- Phaneuf had nice light green stick :D
- After tons of mistakes by swiss players crowd in my sector chanted "Give a puck to Malkin, give a puck to Malkin" when Switzerland had a puck.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Just got back from the game, the game was a bit boring actually but still few thoughts:
- Hiller was good and saved Switzerland a lot.
- Swiss players took realy unnecessary penalties and couldn't score when they had chances in 1st and 2nd period .
- Canada has a special guy who puts bottle with water on the goal's net ;)
- Phaneuf had nice light green stick :D
- After tons of mistakes by swiss players crowd in my sector chanted "Give a puck to Malkin, give a puck to Malkin" when Switzerland had a puck.

What was the attendance? It didn't look like much from TV.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Hmm, yeah it's not on their schedule. My TV listings show a game on at that time on TSN, so we'll see, I guess.

Thats because Canada may have been involved in this game if the earlier games had a different outcome. Those are made in advance. The USA Finland game will not be on TV

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
only quarter was full at best - too early at simple day, I guess.
Perhaps it also mattered that this was the most uneven QF on paper. People are more reluctant to pay for a game where they think Canada will destroy the Swiss (and a QF on the other side of the playoff tree by Russian eyes as well).

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
They did show up for this game though we didn't take the game. Full credit to guys like Goran Bezina, and Mark Streit! Jeanin was the probably the slickest player out there and to think, we are hearing talk of him going to the NHL soon!

Unless he gets a better offer to stay in Switzerland.

And the times they are a'changing :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad