WC: May 6 GDT - Sweden vs. Finland

Talentless Practise*

I heard that dreaded Czech Milan Minar will be the ref for the game. Oh god please no... I expect around 284 PIM, the last 20 on Hedström because he coughed funny.

Bottomline is, that ref is a skating disaster and the game will be decided on the countless PP opportunities.

So true. We have some absolutely dreadful refs in SM-liiga and even then when Minar comes over in that ref-exchange-thing i find myself preparing mentally for his brainfarts. :p:

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
On a somewhat different note.

Someone who knows the bracket good enough to know if we still can face the Lions in the final no matter who wins this game?

Answering myself.
The Swiss can be regarded a lock for 4:th in group E (unless they turn the current game against Russia around, I'd call it unlikely).

Then we can have the final we want, unless sweden wins the group (beating both Finland and Russia).

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
I heard that dreaded Czech Milan Minar will be the ref for the game. Oh god please no... I expect around 284 PIM, the last 20 on Hedström because he coughed funny.

Bottomline is, that ref is a skating disaster and the game will be decided on the countless PP opportunities.

:rant: What the ****? Haven't he been sent home by now?! :shakehead

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Tomi Kallio with Ruutu and Koivu, you have to be kidding me:rant: He just plain sucks. And Bergenheim + Kontiola scratches? Erkka has officially lost his mind. He's putting together the lineup based on who played well against Italy?????

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Tomi Kallio with Ruutu and Koivu, you have to be kidding me:rant: He just plain sucks. And Bergenheim + Kontiola scratches? Erkka has officially lost his mind. He's putting together the lineup based on who played well against Italy?????

The scary part is that Tomi "watch me dominate Uganda" Kallio didn't even play well aginst Italy.

I've said it for years: Kallio shouldn't even be considered for the national team. I don't care how many scoring titles you win in the Elitserien, you always suck when playing for Finland

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I really don't understand why so many in this forum are so eager to see fights, dirty hits against the head, blood bleeding, injuries that destroy may be whole season of a player.

If you want to see boxing instead of icehockey then watch boxing, hits against the head of the opponent player etc. then watch combat fighting or however it's called, there it is normal.

But icehockey is a sport which demand skating skills, shootings skills, intelligence and cleverness on the ice and is not a war, where the aim is to destroy the health of the opponent player.

For me it's ok that the IIHF punishes every check against the head consequently with a match penalty, I would go further and lock out every player for the rest of the tournament.

Those players from the NHL have to change their attitude if they play in a tournament of the IIHF. For me it's ok that they try to protect the players from dirty hits and want to protect their healt. If the NHL thinks that it's ok to ruin the health or the career of the players, it's theirs problem.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site

No, Kallio did not play well against Italy. He has not played well against anyone. But maybe Erkka thinks that because Kallio is such a producer in elitserien, he will turn it around against sweden.

I would have sent him packing already, and Pärssinen too.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I really don't understand why so many in this forum are so eager to see fights, dirty hits against the head, blood bleeding, injuries that destroy may be whole season of a player.

Has anyone here wanted to see dirty hits? I have missed that part completely.

Hockey is a contact sport, people want to see hitting but of course the hits need to be clean. Ovechkin was just sent out for a dirty hit against Switzerland and thats cool, he hit nothing but the players head. He should get suspended for 2 games because Weber got 3 games out of that elbow which was even more wrong.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

If you want to see boxing instead of icehockey then watch boxing, hits against the head of the opponent player etc. then watch combat fighting or however it's called, there it is normal.

But icehockey is a sport which demand skating skills, shootings skills, intelligence and cleverness on the ice and is not a war, where the aim is to destroy the health of the opponent player.

For me it's ok that the IIHF punishes every check against the head consequently with a match penalty, I would go further and lock out every player for the rest of the tournament.

Those players from the NHL have to change their attitude if they play in a tournament of the IIHF. For me it's ok that they try to protect the players from dirty hits and want to protect their healt. If the NHL thinks that it's ok to ruin the health or the career of the players, it's theirs problem.

If you don't like mens' sports, it's easy. Watch ringuette.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm

I haven't seen a single such post.

Do we anticipate the Ruutus, Hedström and other to go out and play physical? Yes.

Do we expect them to yap and tease? Yes.

But I haven't seen anything about hoping that anyone will play dirty or anyone getting hurt.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006

The floorball-forums is that way *points* :cry:

Of course there is a line that mustn't be crossed between hard, physical play and merely cowardly, ugly and dirty (where the latter is e.g. using your stick as a guillotine).

But once you start handing out penalties just because a player got hurt, it's not hockey anymore (remember the first rule of hockey: "keep your head up") but floorball...

EDIT: obviously the last part of my post does *not* imply that I enjoy watching people get hurt (well, unless it's on hidden camera ;)!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004

I can only think that Erkka doesn't see this game as an important one but rather as one more testing ground for different line combos before the playoff round starts.

If our goalie plays well, I say 3-1 Finland...if he doesn't, it's 5-3 Sweden.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
I can only think that Erkka doesn't see this game as an important one but rather as one more testing ground for different line combos before the playoff round starts.

If our goalie plays well, I say 3-1 Finland...if he doesn't, it's 5-3 Sweden.

Maybe he's taking a page from Bengan's book from last year.
He was fiddling with his lines all the way up to the final games.

Just hope that he knows that losing tonight will not give him an easier quarter :)

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister

Huh? No one has expressed any eagerness for such things, let alone "many". Get off your high horse.

As for the ref, yeah, that guy is just wrong. As I said after seeing him in an earlier game, I'm not exactly the "anything goes, let them play" type, but he calls way too many ticky-tack penalties, some of them not even borderline. And I like a tight, consistently-called game. But that clown is just too much.

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
I think Finland can win this one....

Thing that worries me is Finlands ability to always take stupid penalties, particularly when refs in these WC's are calling everything, and against Sweden...

Im going Fin 4-3 Swe

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Milan Minar. There goes all expectations I had for some good entertainment. I now expect this game to be long, frustrating and a one-man show. :banghead:

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Beer in fridge? Check.
TV cleaned? Check.
Door locked? Check.
Telephone turned off? Check.

Let's go hunting for lions :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad