WC: May 21 Bronze Medal GDT - Canada vs. Finland

Macman

May 15, 2004
Congratulations Finland. Well deserved.

I gotta say how proud I am of Canada. They didn't have it today but they're a young team and they gave the champs all they could handle yesterday. It just reinforces how good that 2005 world junior team really was.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Beregon in an interview said, Finland was diving all over the ice and thats a reason why Canada lost. I havent seen the game yet but are those comments true or just Beregon being a poor loser?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
chiefmonarch said:
Beregon in an interview said, Finland was diving all over the ice and thats a reason why Canada lost. I havent seen the game yet but are those comments true or just Beregon being a poor loser?
Like always, we make excuses. I'm pretty sure the Finns dove but so do we, it's not the exclusivity of the Czechs anymore ;). I'm surprise it's coming from Bergeron.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
chiefmonarch said:

Jarkko Ruutu dived 2 times from what I saw, other than that Bergeron is just being a poor loser.

Then again, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. You know how it works...

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
chiefmonarch said:

I heard him say that it was hard to play and get into a game when players are diving and the refs are buying it. I didn't hear him directly blame the loss on it. There were some questionable calls, but the reffing was not a deciding factor in the outcome. The Finns were better by a lot. The penalties definitely affected the ice time and productivity of the top line though, which is what he was reffering to I am sure.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
chiefmonarch said:

Poor loser.

Kukkonen may have taken a slight dive, but that was about it.

svea

Feb 18, 2006
I saw many dives from both sides. It's kinda hard to come up with excuses when you've outshot your opponent 37-33 and lost 0-5 anyway, especially when you have the two top scorers on your team.

Macman

May 15, 2004
chiefmonarch said:
Beregon in an interview said, Finland was diving all over the ice and thats a reason why Canada lost.

You're half right. He did accuse the Finns of diving but he also said "but that's not why we lost."

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
NHL.com was also crying about ref.
http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/05/273010.html

"A lot of the flow was taken from the scorers with all the penalties," said Shanahan."

"
Jonak called a pair of questionable penalties on Sidney Crosby and Micki Dupont to give the Finns a 5-on-3 advantage and Olli Jokinen gave his team a 2-0 lead by tipping a shot by Auld at 5:20."

"
The game started getting away from Canada midway through the game as Jonak kept making marginal calls. Moments after Dan Hamhuis stepped out of the penalty box, Brad Stuart took his place."

I think this was the backbraker:

"Hahl ended up scoring it for Finland after Canadian defencemen Brent Seabrook coughed the puck up to him right in front of Auld to make it 3-0 late in the second period."

svea

Feb 18, 2006
In that game Finland took more penalties than Canada, although Tuomo had a 2+10. During the whole tournament Canada amassed 134 minutes in the box, while Finland had 226 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad