WC: May 1 GDT - Switzerland vs. Czech Rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
stv11 said:
End of the second period. Czech started strong again, but Switzerland played better at the end and had some chances to tie the game. Overall, this period was more balanced than the first and a one goal lead for the czech is a logical score so far.

Really like the line with Sykora, Vyborny and Varada. They're really good and shows chemistry. Vyborny is the brain, Sykora the sniper and Varada the grinder.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Great chance for Switzerland, but it was a perfect summary of Wichser's season : he skates and skates and skates and skates and doesn't score

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Wichers plays a good game. he is patient and confident with the puck. he and plüss are the best forwards for the swiss team now...

on the other hand for the czech team prucha and hemsky are the weakest forwards. they just can't cope with the tight checking...

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
To the Habs fans: I'm wondering how you can expect so much from the offensive skills of Mark Streit. This guy produced 50% less than Randy Robitaille in the Swiss League ... I only watched the 3rd period of this game and I haven't seen too much from him, so I can't comment on his performance today. But where does all the hype comme from?

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Habsfan 32 said:
How is Mark Streit looking so far?
I'd say there is more negative than positive in this game. he has had made some good passes in the offensive zone during the powerplay. but more often he has turned over the puck or failed to clear it from his own zone...

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Habsfan 32 said:
How is Mark Streit looking so far?

He was very sound defensively, never got beaten on one on ones, and had a good game carrying the puck out of the defensive zone and making good breakout pass. He wasn't as much offensively involved as usual, but the main reason for that is the high caliber of the opponent. I'd say that compared to last year's tournament, he's stronger on his legs and less prone at looking at the puck instead of playing his man. I guess any Montréal scout watching this game was pleased by what he saw.

CH Wizard

FrenchKheldar said:
To the Habs fans: I'm wondering how you can expect so much from the offensive skills of Mark Streit. This guy produced 50% less than Randy Robitaille in the Swiss League ... I only watched the 3rd period of this game and I haven't seen too much from him, so I can't comment on his performance today. But where does all the hype comme from?

Huh? Do you atleast know he's a defenceman?

He finished third in points on his team, that's impressive(considering that Robitaille already played a fair amount of NHL games).He had 43 points and Robitaille 67.That's not 50% less.Anyways, he impressed a lot of people and I can't wait to see what he'll do in higher levels.He seems to be a solid defenceman.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Fan.At said:
I'd say there is more negative than positive in this game. he has had made some good passes in the offensive zone during the powerplay. but more often he has turned over the puck or failed to clear it from his own zone...

As you can't see with my above post, I don't agree with you about this. He surely was not as involved as usual in the offensive zone, but the czech deserve creadit for not letting the swiss defensemen quarterback the play. And I think he was good at clearing the zone, compared to Keller, Blindenbacher, Bezina or Forster who had some turnover. Defensively, he often made a good job containing Jagr.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
stv11 said:
As you can't see with my above post, I don't agree with you about this. He surely was not as involved as usual in the offensive zone, but the czech deserve creadit for not letting the swiss defensemen quarterback the play. And I think he was good at clearing the zone, compared to Keller, Blindenbacher, Bezina or Forster who had some turnover. Defensively, he often made a good job containing Jagr.
the czech team was just too good today, but i think when streit wants to play in the nhl he has to stand out in a game like this and i don't think he was able to keep up with the czechs. of course the other swiss defensemen didn't look good either, each one of them has made some mistakes.
when the czech team was attacking, the swiss defensemen couldn't clear the puck out of their zone, they just didn't look safe...

i'm not very familiar with the swiss players so maybe i confused streit with someone else occassionally, but to me no defenseman stood out today. on the other hand the forwards wichser, plüss and even della rossa played a solid game...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
the Czechs played well, but so did the Swiss. they had enough chances to tie the score in the 2nd and in the 3rd ...

Last edited:

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
FrenchKheldar said:
But where does all the hype comme from?
I wouldn't call it hype. Streit was very much a surprise pick for the Habs in the draft a European overager no one had heard of before and us Habs fans hadn't seen him play or known much about him besides that fact that he was obvioulsy an offencive D judging by his numbers. So it was interest because of lack of knowledge for Streit rather then hype.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Fan.At said:
the czech team was just too good today, but i think when streit wants to play in the nhl he has to stand out in a game like this and i don't think he was able to keep up with the czechs. of course the other swiss defensemen didn't look good either, each one of them has made some mistakes.
when the czech team was attacking, the swiss defensemen couldn't clear the puck out of their zone, they just didn't look safe...

i'm not very familiar with the swiss players so maybe i confused streit with someone else occassionally, but to me no defenseman stood out today. on the other hand the forwards wichser, plüss and even della rossa played a solid game...

I think you're a bit harsh with Streit. It's hard to stand out for an offensive defenseman when he plays for a team that is clearly weaker than his opponent. Only a good NHL defenseman would stand out playing for a team like Switzerland against such a high caliber opposition.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
stv11 said:
I think you're a bit harsh with Streit. It's hard to stand out for an offensive defenseman when he plays for a team that is clearly weaker than his opponent. Only a good NHL defenseman would stand out playing for a team like Switzerland against such a high caliber opposition.
let's have a look how he performs in the upcoming games. i have no problem changing my mind on him ;)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Against Kazakhstan, Switzerland will be expected to produce and Streit will have to be a key player. Against Germany, it will be interested to watch him as it won't be the kind of game he like to play, but he will be expected to create some scoring chance in a probably very defensive game.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I also wanted to add that Jagr is the best PP player in the World ... he's unstoppable from that right side, whether he's shooting or passing the puck!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, Jagr was dominant in this game. I think the swiss made a good job containing him, but he still was the most dangerous czech player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->