Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
1badbruin said:
For me it would be:

1:Crosby
2:Bergeron
3:Boyes

No one on Denmark reaaaaly stood out other than Staal but thats not enough to earn a game star. This line was a force all day and especially on the PP. Even though Boyes and Bergeron weren't playing their natural position's they still played great.

I agree that Patrice was better than Staal, but he (staal) played and showed so much heart. So i had to include him there.

OilerOlli*

1badbruin said:
...Boyes and Bergeron weren't playing their natural position's they still played great.

LW Boyes C Crosby RW Bergeron ?

I couldn't watch the game in germany.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
No one on Denmark reaaaaly stood out other than Staal but thats not enough to earn a game star. This line was a force all day and especially on the PP. Even though Boyes and Bergeron weren't playing their natural position's they still played great.

Perhaps this is Vancouver biased glasses speaking, but I thought Hansen stood out even though he wasn't on the scoresheet.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'm not going to get all excited about beating Denmark in the opening game of the world championship. This was far from Canada's best game, and not even close to the line-up that we'll see in the second round robin. I am a little concerned that they surrendered three goals to Denmark, and squandered a three-goal lead. Chalk it up to a 15-player roster, jet lag, a lack of familiarity with each other, or a combination of those factors. Oh well.

Next three days will be key. They get Saturday and Monday off, and they play Norway on Sunday. The practices will give Canada a chance to get used to each other, and get used to the coaching/system. As for the Norway game, Canada will have to play better than they did today. Game-by-game improvement in the two round robins.

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
I really like the Hartnell-Richards-Carter line..They were pressuring Denmark a lot and their hard work paid off with the Richards goal...I hope this line and the Crosby line stays together

chthonic

Dec 10, 2005
i see richards and carter combined for the 5th goal. did they play well?

oops didnt see that above post. good to hear theyre working hard. they were really frustrated/snakebitten in the playoffs so hopefully this will be good for them.

Jaysfanatic*

Oz said:
How did Denis look for those that saw the game? From the TSN story, sounds like some of the goal were deflections and the like.

Yeah I wouldn't fault him on the goals they were garbage in every sense of the word.

Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
Oz said:
How did Denis look for those that saw the game? From the TSN story, sounds like some of the goal were deflections and the like.

He made some damn good saves, the goals were cheap. With some luck he would have a clean sheet.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
According to the official IIHF stats, I was quite surprised to not see Canada more dominant on the faceoff draws.

In the faceoff circles against Denmark, the best of the 3 Canadian centres was Patrice Bergeron, who won 3 of 7 draws (42.86%).

Sidney Crosby won 8 of 21 draws (38.10%), while Mike Richards won 6 of 17 draws (35.29%).

Top faceoff man for Denmark was Morten Green, winning 9 of 20 (45.00%).

But, after all, it's only the first game.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
svetovy poharu said:
According to the official IIHF stats, I was quite surprised to not see Canada more dominant on the faceoff draws.

In the faceoff circles against Denmark, the best of the 3 Canadian centres was Patrice Bergeron, who won 3 of 7 draws (42.86%).

Sidney Crosby won 8 of 21 draws (38.10%), while Mike Richards won 6 of 17 draws (35.29%).

Top faceoff man for Denmark was Morten Green, winning 9 of 20 (45.00%).

But, after all, it's only the first game.

How is it possible for all the top faceoff men to be below 50%? :dunno:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Tb0ne said:
Perhaps this is Vancouver biased glasses speaking, but I thought Hansen stood out even though he wasn't on the scoresheet.
Hansen was good, getting shots off quickly. Needs a little more accuracy but he got involved and is a nice player for the Danes.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
I'm not going to get all excited about beating Denmark in the opening game of the world championship. This was far from Canada's best game, and not even close to the line-up that we'll see in the second round robin. I am a little concerned that they surrendered three goals to Denmark, and squandered a three-goal lead. Chalk it up to a 15-player roster, jet lag, a lack of familiarity with each other, or a combination of those factors. Oh well.

Next three days will be key. They get Saturday and Monday off, and they play Norway on Sunday. The practices will give Canada a chance to get used to each other, and get used to the coaching/system. As for the Norway game, Canada will have to play better than they did today. Game-by-game improvement in the two round robins.
Canada's first period was one of the best tournament opening periods a Canadian National team has played at this event. It then went quickly south in period two as the Danes caught a break and then caught fire. The game was in doubt heading to the third but Canada had a solid third and got a couple of big goals. I thought Regin showed the most flash for the Danes but did not get much done. Frans Nielson does look like a guy that could come over and take a crack at the Isles roster. The Danish defense had its share of troubles, Pander was particularly out of sorts and looked overmatched. Decent spectacle for the neutral though.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Injury update:

Damgaard, taken into the boards ackwardly very early by Comrie, has a sore neck and possibly a minor concussion. Depending on the concussion, he's listed as out for the US game (sunday), possible for the Norway game (tuesday).

wildone26*

Since Denis played the first game that does mean he will be the starter for the tournament? I was hoping it would be Auld. :(

They looked pretty good but have a long ways to go from that performance to win a gold medal. That is fine though, it is a long tournament, with alot of time to improve. With Rick Nash not on the team they are pretty much gauranteed to win gold anyway, so I am not worried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->