WC Group F: May 2 GDT - Sweden vs. USA (3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If the U.S. wins this game, they cement a spot in the quarterfinals. But with Russia (1-3-0) to play Finland yet and the U.S. still to play winless Denmark, a loss by the Americans doesn't hurt them and a tie looks good. If they win, it really puts Sweden in a bind in the group.

I'll say a 2-2 tie, leaving Sweden to fight Slovakia to stay ahead of the U.S. assuming the U.S. will beat Denmark.

Lubutus

Mar 10, 2004
sweden
[It will be a nice matchup between the Rangers starting goalie (Dunham) and their future goalie (Lundqvist). 3-1 Sweden. Lundqvist=man of the match

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
It will be interesting to see how Lundqvist will handle the heavy traffic in front of goal that the Americans are so good at.

I think this could be a big game for Nylander, I think USA's play will fit him well.

Prediciton: 4-1 Sweden. Nylander 2, HÃ¥llberg, Alfredsson

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
End of first period.
Sweden very clearly the better team in the first period and I think they outshot the Americans by almost 10 shots.
Both (rangers) goalies - Dunham and Lundqvist have been very good.
Höglund has been hot for Sweden, for the first time in this tourney.

SChan*

14-6 shot sin favor of the swedes. Could have had 2-0 or 3-0 with some luck.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
why is lundqvist playing again? i think liv deserves another game and he is well-rested.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Well, this is still an important game for Sweden so I guess they want to play their #1 goalie.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Predatore said:
Well, this is still an important game for Sweden so I guess they want to play their #1 goalie.

then i'd like to ask why lundqvist is their #1? :)

i don't think that he's better, they're pretty equal but liv had a hell of play-offs. was he that bad in game 1?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Liv did not play the first game, he played against Japan in the second game. He was a bit shaky in that game, although he did not face a lot of shots either.. so it was not an easy game.

Also in the exhibition games before the WC Lundqvist outplayed Liv. For example a shutout against Russia and only one goal allowed against Finland. Liv on the other hand allowed 5 goals against Finland.

Even in the playoffs, in the semifinal series between Frölunda and HV 71, Lundqvist was better and more consistant than Liv. That wasn't enough though.. seeing as HV 71 eventually became SEL Champions.

Liv is a very good goalie, but Lundqvist is more consistant and more skilled IMO.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
OMG what a goal by the USA, the most lucky and in one way most spectacular in the tournament!
Scary. :)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
ZeroTheHero said:
Liv usually looks more solid and confident, Lundqvist looks shaky,

that's the most weird conclusion/analysis I have ever read about those two, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion ;) :)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Predatore said:
Liv is a very good goalie, but Lundqvist is more consistant and more skilled IMO.

first of all, thanks for your quick answer. :)

i always thought that liv is more consistent. lundqvist seems to be a bit streaky, at least that's what his stats told me.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
ZeroTheHero said:
Lundqvist doesn't find a style comfortable for him, plays different, changes outlook.
Liv is more confident and stays with his style.

I actually think it is the exact opposite. Prior to this season Stefan Liv always threw himself crazy (successfully though) and went down very early. This year he has been standing up more, and been more consistant but still been shaky in some games and going down too early.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Well, I have to disagree. Never seen him as a goalie that changes style.
His trade mark is to go out and cut off the angles and make himself look big.
Another thing that is significant with this play is the fact that he "livs" ;) very little rebounds. (although in the latest Finland game he left a couple of ones, none that were very dangerous though)

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
ZeroTheHero said:
Liv usually looks more solid and confident, Lundqvist looks shaky, Lundqvist has a tad more talent but not much. Liv has more experience and it is very apparent. Though I base this only on team sweden games that I've seen :P

Ummm no. Its quite the opposite. Lundqvist is anything but shaky. Liv looks always shaky. Lundqvist is the better one and the more talented one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad