WC Group C: Apr 27 GDT - Sweden vs. Russia (3-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
He looked good. He had one bad shift, where he lost the puck two times, but overall he probably played his best game in the tournament. (Mostly) Strong on the puck, and great along the boards.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I found myself rooting for the Swedes and that's a first. I really like their style, the way they utilize their dmen in offence is great. It lead to the second Russian goal, but also to the game winning goal. Tre Kronor is really playing good hard, offencive hockey. Unlike in previous games, powerplay is not a strength, way too predictable and at times pathetic.

Russians busted their ass off too, I think I saw them block more shots than in all previous tournaments put together. Still, they have no forecheck to speak off and you can't win if you turn the game over to the opponent like that no matter how skilled you are. What kept Russians in the game wastheir powerplay, very very scary. Sokolov didn't impress me, and contrary to other posters neither did Ovechkin. OK, he is still a kid, but his decision making with the puck was way too slow.

These games are looking very good so far, looking forward to Finland - Sweden.

md17

teme said:
These games are looking very good so far, looking forward to Finland - Sweden.

I'm not. After seeing this game I'm simply afraid of both of these teams. I just don't have the faith.

Nylander seems to get better with age. Amazing skills, although sometimes a bit too 'artistic' maybe. Great to watch nonetheless.

Ovechkin didn't have his best game, but the talent this guy has is just ridiculously obvious. Could have scored a goal or two with better luck.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Russia at times looked very scary. The way they created panic in the Swedish defence at times reminded one of the Soviet Union.

the powerplays were also impressive.. but why did Tkhonov try to defend with such an offensively loaded team? In the final period it seemed that the defensive line was on the ice constantly.. he should have given Kovaltchuk and the likes free reign to kill Sweden off imho..

And what was with the referee? Giving a Swede a penalty in the Swedish zone, but then moving the faceoff to the neutral zone??

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Raimo Sillanpää said:
And what was with the referee? Giving a Swede a penalty in the Swedish zone, but then moving the faceoff to the neutral zone??

Agree, the ref made some very hesitant decisions. Missed a lot of penaltys on both teams. And as you say, what's with the faceoff in the neutral zone...

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
SectionX said:
the last penalty call was very questionalble though.

Agreed.

Samuel PÃ¥hlsson was i giant IMO. He was everywhere, strong along the boards, hard to knock off the puck. He seems to have the same problem to get to goal opportunites as he have in the NHL though, can't remember many chances he have had. But he is superb at PK, and open up ice for teammates. Very underrated center. Could very well turn out to be an option for the upcoming World Cup as fourth center, as Hardy Nilsson doesn't seem to like the Sedin twins.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
This was the best game in the tournament by far, what a speed and intensity, and Nylander has never been this good. Lundqvist was good. Russians weren´t that bad either, they have a good team, they need more scorers than just Kovalchuk in these thight games.

Sad to say but Noronen just has put out his best if we are going to win either of these teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad