WC Group B: Apr 28 GDT - Slovakia vs. Finland (5-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
The Slovakian crowd started this game already in the FIN-UKR match, that should add to the atmosphere.

Finland is the smaller and less talented team, but they haven't let that bother them for the last ten years. Slovakia will churn out some goals as the Finnish defense is mistake-prone, but Finland will poke a lot of holes in the Slovak lines too. Finland hasn't succeeded at crashing the crease yet and neither have the Slovaks at protecting it. It'll be a high-scoring game for sure.

Let's see how Ruutu can mess up Gaborik. :devil:

md17

Laituri said:
Slovakia will churn out some goals as the Finnish defense is mistake-prone, but Finland will poke a lot of holes in the Slovak lines too. Finland hasn't succeeded at crashing the crease yet and neither have the Slovaks at protecting it. It'll be a high-scoring game for sure.

I'm going with Slovak victory in this one. The Finnish team is too prone for errors. The hard forchecking game Westerlund and Summanen are using works well most of the time, but defensively the line up still falls apart way too often, and Slovaks certainly have the skill and speed to make the the errors count. 5-2 for Slovaks.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I'm going to go with 4-1 Slovakia.

Mäntylä, Niemi, Niinimaa are all error-prone. Söderholm has the tendency to join the rush at the wrong time, thus leaving the D open to counter-attacks. Satan, Hossa, Gaborik and company has the skill to take advantage on these mistakes.Finland's slick forwards will likely skate circles around the clumsy and slow Slovakian defense, but Finland probably won't be able to capitalize on their chances(as usual). :shakehead

Goals: Svk: Satan 2, Hossa, Bartecko
Fin: Nummelin

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Hmm...
Offence: Slovaks clear advantage, although Finns may have better depth.
Defence: Finns. Slightly better group IMO and most importantly better suited to international ice.
Goaltending: I guess Noronen over Hlincka, although the difference may not be that great.

4 - 2 Finns win.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
ZeroTheHero said:
Someone's opened the bottle a bit early :D.
I wish... but anyway you are absolutely right.

Speaking of drinking, howabout a HF designated bar for WC games? I have to work tomorrow so I'll propably watch this one at home, but maybe some others...

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
After watching Slo-Usa game, i think Finns should win this one. Althouhg the crowd is about 95% with Slovaks, still dare to question the defensive playing of the Slovakian team. Its 1-3 for Finns.

Last edited:

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Predatore said:
could be a high scoring game this one.
Not a very good start by Noronen.

Lasak allmost made the same mistake, allmost!

2-1 Bartecko (nice hand pass from Hossa to Demitra)

From where is this ref from, this aint a handball tournament!! :banghead:

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
yup, saw that later, did not notice it at first :) I did not see anyone objecting
though? *weird*

entertaining first period

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Predatore said:
I did not see anyone objecting
though? *weird*

Yeah... I was wondering about that. Maybe no one saw that on the ice. It was pretty clear, though.

If that ends up being the game winning goal, I'm taking my baseball bat for a visit to the refs house.

EDIT: OK, maybe I was a bit hasty. It wasn't that "clear".

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
terrible hit by Bartecko, having his arms and stick so high up. Luckily Karalahti wasn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->