WC GOLD MEDAL GAME: MAY 9 GDT - CANADA vs. SWEDEN (5-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
Latest example of it The Semifinal trip of Lasak

Saying that there is a North American ref bias against Europeans is just as stupid as saying there is a European ref bias against North Americans. I can point to a dozen incidents where European refs or North American refs have made "bad" calls that favor European teams, but that doesn't make it a bias. It is true that referees from the two continents tend to have different styles but to imply that referees are intentionally making calls so that countries from their own continent wins is nothing short of idiotic. Give your head a shake.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
incawg said:
Saying that there is a North American ref bias against Europeans is just as stupid as saying there is a European ref bias against North Americans. I can point to a dozen incidents where European refs or North American refs have made "bad" calls that favor European teams, but that doesn't make it a bias. It is true that referees from the two continents tend to have different styles but to imply that referees are intentionally making calls so that countries from their own continent wins is nothing short of idiotic. Give your head a shake.

My biggest complaint about them is that they are NOT skilled enough for High level competion since they are NOT high level refs in either USA or Canada.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
incawg and the other anti-everything guys, could you delay your conversation until the game is over? i'd like to talk with other about the game, not about anti-canadian or anti-european stuff.

it would be really nice. :)

Skiblitz

Apr 10, 2004
Montréal
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
And it might also do good in trying to fix the image of Headhunting goons in a National team jersey.
I gues good ol' Ulf Samuellson never gave a cheap shot to the knees of any players.....I guess you are also too OLD to remember what was at syake in 1972 and how the Canadian team was treated outside of the rink.....

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
incawg said:
This is true. Canadians play a rougher game. Just as Europeans tend to dive more. It doesn't mean all Canadians are dirty or that all Europeans dive though.

Of course it isn't all Canadian players. That's not the point. There is a problem with the team training and selection processes, and it needs to be fixed. It really wouldn't be that hard. All the GM/coach would have to say to the players is "you play clean or you're out because we will not have dirty players wearing the jersey of our National Team".

There is nothing wrong with playing tough--in fact I love a good physical hockey game. The problems start when that tough style of game crosses the line. That line has no clear definitions, unfortunetly, but it isn't hard to seperate a good hard bodycheck from a two-handed slash to the face. That line should never be crossed. It should be below a player's dignity to cross it. It has no place in hockey and it is disrespectful to our game and to the players who play it. It's a discipline issue.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
My biggest complaint about them is that they are NOT skilled enough for High level competion since they are NOT high level refs in either USA or Canada.

I have no problem with you saying that. And I do agree with you that the Lasak play should have been a penalty. Looker did not, however, intentionally not call a penalty so that Canada would win...he simply didn't see it/made a mistake. What I have a problem with is when people try to imply that there is some sort of global refereeing conspiracy.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
There was no elbow on Scott's part. He went in with his shoulder and his arms extended after impact was made. It was similar to a penalty called on Chris Phillips in this year's playoffs. (Although he was on the other end of the hit.)

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
A_wildstabatanything said:
There was no elbow. He went in with his shoulder and his arms extended after impact was made.

Are you talking about Scott, or Rob? Because the Rob hit was 100% dirty. The Scott hit didn't seem really dirty to me, I actually thought it was going to be an interference penalty.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
zecke26 said:
incawg and the other anti-everything guys, could you delay your conversation until the game is over? i'd like to talk with other about the game, not about anti-canadian or anti-european stuff.

it would be really nice. :)

I agree. We can do that. I'm not anti-Canadian or anti-Euorpean, but I am anti-cheapshots and also anti-diving, but the former is much more deadly than the latter and therefore requires more attention and action.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
the game slowed down a lot. many little mistakes on both sides.

and is it me or does lundqvist look a bit nervous?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
3-1 SWEDEN!!
Great save by Lundqvist- the puck goes out to Höglund, passes to Salomonsson who scores

Canada hit the post in the previous situation.. puuh

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Foppa_Rules said:
How has Forsberg looked so far?

Quite good. A few other observations:

1. Jonus Hoglund has been outstanding.

2. Every time I see Niklas Lidstrom out there it looks weird. For some reason I can never picture him in anything but the red and white.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
How has Forsberg looked so far?

brilliant assist on the 2-0 by alfie but i didn't see much more. but since the check of rob niedermayer he could have some pain. at least he had some short after the check.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Quite good. A few other observations:

1. Jonus Hoglund has been outstanding.

2. Every time I see Niklas Lidstrom out there it looks weird. For some reason I can never picture him in anything but the red and white.

From the sounds of it and what i have heard he have been very good thru the whole tournament.

And Lidas havnt played many times in TRE KRONOR at worlds so it is unusal even for a Swede

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad