WC GOLD MEDAL GAME: MAY 9 GDT - CANADA vs. SWEDEN (5-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
jcpenny said:
Sweden had 3 of their top four players in Lindstrom, Alfredsson and Forsberg who will all be on the world cup team while for us we'll probably have Heatley, Scott Nieds and luongo (but they are not Sackic, Iginla, Brodeur).

According to Bob Nicholson (CHA) about 5 players from this team will be on the World Cup team.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I'd imagine that the following should have a good shot at making the team
Dany Heatley
Scott Niedermayer
Robert Luongo
Jay Bouwmeester (though I'm not sure he'll see any regular ice-time)
Ryan Smyth

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Predatore said:
I'd imagine that the following should have a good shot at making the team
Dany Heatley
Scott Niedermayer
Robert Luongo
Jay Bouwmeester (though I'm not sure he'll see any regular ice-time)
Ryan Smyth

I posted the exact same names on the World Cup roster vs. World Champ. roster -thread. :eek:

Last edited:

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Congratulations Canda!

You were the best team after scoring 1-2 IMO.

The swedish defense was awful, our strenght earlier in the tournament. Lundqvist isn't to blame though, he had not any help from his defenders. We can't blame Lidström either IMO, it's not his fault he came in to late, and played with a guy he didn't knew (Hållberg). The problem was this choke up the defense pairings. Earlier we had a clear third pairing in Hållberg-Sundin that played less than the others. Now it was different tandems all the time.

Anyway, Canada was the better team. :bow:

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
Beakermania said:
Greatest Hockey Nation in the World: Canada

Defending Men's and Women's Olympic Champs.
Defending Men's (2 time) Women's (8 time) World Champs.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :yo:
You do know that many nations better players dont play in the World Chapionships, dont you?

oilerfever

May 8, 2004
Alberta
YAY Congrats to Canada :) Great tournament, not very pretty at times ie) Austria but they came through. Also congrats to the Oilers teams for an excellent tournament, especially Sweden, US, and Slovakia. :)

allrevvedup25

Jul 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
devildan said:
You do know that many nations better players dont play in the World Chapionships, dont you?

Do you think that was Canada's best team?? Its the same for everyone, there is usually some of the better players, but they are far from World Cup or Olympic Teams!!

You just hate the fact that Canada was the better team!!! :banana:

NWT Habs Fan

Apr 25, 2003
Edmonton, AB
Visit site
Congrats to Canada, a nice consolation prize for those players that don't get to see the final rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs. It was especially nice to see Canada show some grit and determination to never quit in the final game and come back from two two-goal deficits. Luongo and the boys definitely got better as the game progressed (kinda the story of the tournament for this team).

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
Knucklez said:
We won gold, but more importantly we finished ahead of the Americans :yo: A double whammy

Ohhhhhhhhh Canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

um....how is that more important? Winning gold means you finish ahead of EVERY country. That's 10 times more important, actually 100x.

And what do you have against the Americans?

Beakermania*

devildan said:

Sour Grapes and Jealousy aren't good for sportsmanship.

What do you say about the double olympic medals then??

Ajo

Mar 23, 2002
Borlänge, Sweden
Visit site
This is the first post here for a very long time.

Sweden choked badly when they needed to step it up. Surrendering two 2-goal leads is bad. Swedens defense looked like a chicken farm.

Niedermayers check on Forsberg was disgraceful. Reminded me a lot of Lemieux check on Draper in 1996. Ugly. Luckily Forsberg manage to get up his gloves,otherwise he would have gotten severe neck injuries.

Also, no swedes even roughed Niedermayer up. That was weak by us. If I would have played I would have throwed the gloves and give him a good of ass-whopping. You don't do that kind of stuff un-noticed.

What sickens me the most is that the Canadiens said it was a good check. Punks I say. I'll now go back to my rest. See you in the World Cup.

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Ajo said:
This is the first post here for a very long time.

Sweden choked badly when they needed to step it up. Surrendering two 2-goal leads is bad. Swedens defense looked like a chicken farm.

Niedermayers check on Forsberg was disgraceful. Reminded me a lot of Lemieux check on Draper in 1996. Ugly. Luckily Forsberg manage to get up his gloves,otherwise he would have gotten severe neck injuries.

Also, no swedes even roughed Niedermayer up. That was weak by us. If I would have played I would have throwed the gloves and give him a good of ass-whopping. You don't do that kind of stuff un-noticed.

What sickens me the most is that the Canadiens said it was a good check. Punks I say. I'll now go back to my rest. See you in the World Cup.

That Neidermayer check was totally uncalled for, And it matched well into the picture of Canada as headhunters in International hockey.

I personally feel checking from behind in a fashion like this should be far far more than a simple 2 min minor the 10 min misconduct is just 10 min of rest since it dont affect the number of players on the ice.

Hockey is so much BETTER without all these cheapshots that are being taken with 1 purpose only trying to cause INJURY to the other teams starplayers. Officiating and management of both NHL and IIHF has a tremendous task to deal with to get control over the rampant attempt to injury work that is going on.

Somethings need to change i have some good suggestions to get down the sticks and that is make EVERY highsticking minor a MAJOR 5 min penalty and add extra 2 min of cut so it is 5 min or 5+2 for high sticking. That would probably make the sticks come down rather fast since you could basically screw the whole game on 1 high stick if you get a 7 min PK to solve

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
I personally feel checking from behind in a fashion like this should be far far more than a simple 2 min minor the 10 min misconduct is just 10 min of rest since it dont affect the number of players on the ice.

Hockey is so much BETTER without all these cheapshots that are being taken with 1 purpose only trying to cause INJURY to the other teams starplayers. Officiating and management of both NHL and IIHF has a tremendous task to deal with to get control over the rampant attempt to injury work that is going on.

They also need to make sure players remember not to turn their backs while near the boards. Far too many players, even experienced ones, are doing this.

Last edited:

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Swedish Bolt Fan said:
That Neidermayer check was totally uncalled for, And it matched well into the picture of Canada as headhunters in International hockey.

Right. And no OTHER country has done ANYTHING remotely dirty at ANY International tourney before...

cough SELANNE ON FLEURY SALT LAKE cough.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
allrevvedup25 said:
Do you think that was Canada's best team?? Its the same for everyone, there is usually some of the better players, but they are far from World Cup or Olympic Teams!!

You just hate the fact that Canada was the better team!!! :banana:

No problem admitting the fact that Canada is the better (best) hockey nation. WC tourny wins shouldnt be the thing to justify the statement with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad