WC Final: May 13th GDT - Finland vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Looking forward to a great game, Finland is my second favorite country next to Canada, Finland never fails to bring it on each and every shift. :yo:

Good luck, and may the best team win. :handclap:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I can always see the same thing happening with Canada-Finland matchups. It is just different than any other matchup finland has, because the respect is there from both sides.

Against sweden, the posters go:

Swede: "Our team is superior, prepare for party:banana: "
Finn: "REVENGE! Remember -95! but we don't play well against them :help: "

Against USA:

american: "BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD! USA! USA!:win: Where is Finland? what is Finland?"
Finn: "oh them again, who do we play after winning them?:huh: "

Against Czech:

Czech: "Our guys are more skilled, and Finland are bullies:banghead: "
Finn: "You never know with the mullet guys, the diving might give them a chance:nopity: "

Against Russia:

Russian: "PUNY FINLAND. Big bear crush small.:win: "
Finns: "WINTER WAR! All brothers in arms now! Our heroes did not die in vain:madfire: "

Against Slovakia:

Slovakian: "Meh:rolleyes: "
Finn: "Meh:rolleyes: "

And then against Canada:

Canadian: "We should win, but these guys play our game, lots of respect!:clap: "
Finns: "We have a shot. Canada plays our kinda hockey! Lots of respect!:bow: "

And I like it like that.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Go Finland!

Wow, just saw that this game won't be shown live here in Germany.
*sigh*

How I wish I lived in a country where hockey was big.

espo*

bang on post by psychodad there.

Real great and accurate.

well done.

I have absolutely zero issues with Finlands game....................they play it straight up!!!

ToysInTheAttic

Oct 15, 2005
Saint John, NB
No surprise at all that Russia lost to the Finns today. Ovechkin/ Malkin and the Russians are great players, they will be even better once they take cognizance of the North American defensive game.

Canada will win tomorrow, easily.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Yeah, I'm glad it's Canada and not Sweden. Maybe we would've had better chances against Sweden, but losing to them is getting too old.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Yep. Looking for a great battle where opponents don't play dead after every contact and get up without whining when beeing tackled.

Finland should be more ready to start this game with the right intensity and aggressiveness, because as an opponent Russia was from a different league compared to yesterday´s Sweden.

Team Finland made a great load of work to keep all the five players in tight package all around the rink and that is the critical success factor today as well. Our forwards must skate back to the own end and help the defense all the time.

This will also be a interesting goalie battle, but I have full confidense on Lehtonen beeing a step ahead of Ward at the moment. Kärppä is on fire.

Hp

Dec 2, 2004
How many times Finland and Canade been at the finals ?

I remember Wc but how many times at world championships ?

Teme-84

Apr 4, 2007
Kokkola, Finland
Last time was in 1994 when the world championships were played in Italy. Just can't wait for tonight's game. It's sure we are going to have a great, entertaining game :yo:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This should be a great game. I've been very impressed with Koivu. And Ruutu is awesome to watch.

My prediction is that Canada will win because of the top end scoring skill they have with Nash, E. Staal, etc. But it should be close and can certainly go either way.

I'll say 3-1 for Canada.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Koivu and Ruutu have been the warriors of this tournament. Finland has a bright future with them, if only we are able to find enough world class goal scorers like the car collector in Anaheim.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Koivu and Ruutu have the warriors of this tournament. Finland has a bright future with them, if only we are able to find enough world class goal scorers like the car collector in Anaheim.
Tuomo has a nice variety of shots, including a laser wristshot, and a cannon for a slapshot, pretty accurate as well. Get him to shoot more and we might have a nice secondary scorer ^^

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
They will show the game from the same giant screen in Senaatintori (Helsinki) that was used yesterday to show the Eurovision song contest final for 25000 (?) people. Too bad I have a meeting early tomorrow morning. There are all the possibilities for a great hockey festival in Helsinki: sun is shining, beer is cheap and Team Finland is full of self-confidence...

A big hand for Yle and Mikael Junger!

http://www.jatkoaika.com/maajoukkue.php?sivu=uutiset&id=7015

Jude

Apr 18, 2006
Helsinki
They will show the game from the same giant screen in Senaatintori (Helsinki) that was used yesterday to show the Eurovision song contest final for 25000 (?) people. Too bad I have a meeting early tomorrow morning. There are all the possibilities for a great hockey festival in Helsinki: sun is shining, beer is cheap and Team Finland is full of self-confidence...

A big hand for Yle and Mikael Junger!

http://www.jatkoaika.com/maajoukkue.php?sivu=uutiset&id=7015

There were 60 000 people :yo:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i like the Finns best, after Canada of course. therir styles are very similar, and this should be an excellent game. OT would be nice, with the Canucks scoring to make it 4-3.

Goooooo CANADA!!!!!!

:handclap:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Finland plays a game like the 1980 USA hockey team. No extremely big names but they've got a chemistry that goes beyond a visible level.

Canada is an allstar team that really is a contender no matter if the fourth line is the first line or vice versa.

It'll be a great game but here in the States I probably cannot find a place to watch it.

All of that aside GO FINLAND!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->