Ukraine: WC Division 1B in Donetsk

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
Tourney opens today in Donetsk, Ukraine is currently beating Romania 6-0 after the 2nd period. Here's the final roster that was submitted prior to today's action.

And here's the lineup for the game today against Romania

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Missing Kasyanchuk, Razin, Poni, Donika and Fedotenko really makes this roster look weak. Not to mention Klimentyev retiring and Gongalsky not yet representing the NT yet.

Hopefully they can advance and put together a better roster next year.

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
Great to see Zakharov and Petrangovsky make it. Although I think Zakharov was scratched today haha. Petrangovsky has an assist, so it's great to see the juniors get involved!

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
Missing Kasyanchuk, Razin, Poni, Donika and Fedotenko really makes this roster look weak. Not to mention Klimentyev retiring and Gongalsky not yet representing the NT yet.

Hopefully they can advance and put together a better roster next year.

Doesn't help that the lockout made the season finish at the end of April either. Devils and Flyers look to both be out of the hunt, so Poni and Fedotenko may have been available. Really need to be promoted this year and make do with what they have, look towards next year as you said.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Still near future looks bleak. Unless they start to naturalize Russians elite tier is a pipe dream.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Still near future looks bleak. Unless they start to naturalize Russians elite tier is a pipe dream.

At the time - yes, but with all the money they are pouring into hockey now they'll get there at some point. Obviously it may take 20 years but still.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
At the time - yes, but with all the money they are pouring into hockey now they'll get there at some point. Obviously it may take 20 years but still.

That's why said "near future". And even then, the only place where the money is poured in is Donetsk. Not much investment elsewhere...

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

They're improving already. Guys like Toryanik, Padakin, Kvitchenko, Zakharov, Martyshko and Skripets will be big for the future of Ukrainian hockey. If Gaiduchenko would agree to represent them internationally they'd be in much better shape.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
That's why said "near future". And even then, the only place where the money is poured in is Donetsk. Not much investment elsewhere...

Berkut Kiev has a new hockey school and seems to have become the premier franchise in Kiev. They iced a good PHL team with quite a few KHL caliber players.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
They're improving already. Guys like Toryanik, Padakin, Kvitchenko, Zakharov, Martyshko and Skripets will be big for the future of Ukrainian hockey.

No they are not improving, but, yes, players you listed will be a big part of a pretty bleak immediate future.

Berkut Kiev has a new hockey school and seems to have become the premier franchise in Kiev. They iced a good PHL team with quite a few KHL caliber players.

And almost went bust mid-season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
No they are not improving, but, yes, players you listed will be a big part of a pretty bleak immediate future.

And almost went bust mid-season.

I agree the future isn't extremely appealing right now, but there has been a lot of improvement in their hockey as of late. Adding a MHL team or two is the next thing they should be looking at so that they can retain their top junior talent.

Berkut has their financial issues and I think they overspent on contracts this past season. Guys like Toryanik, Mikhnov and Gongalsky could all end up in the KHL next season. Seeing young guys like Toryanik and Kvitchenko getting playing time in the KHL is a step in the right direction for Ukrainian hockey. As they continue to have more players playing top tier hockey it can only benefit the NT.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Sorry I'm kind of new here, do you have a personal vendetta against Ukraine or something?

Yeah, you certainly are new here. :laugh:

I agree the future isn't extremely appealing right now, but there has been a lot of improvement in their hockey as of late. Adding a MHL team or two is the next thing they should be looking at so that they can retain their top junior talent.

Berkut has their financial issues and I think they overspent on contracts this past season. Guys like Toryanik, Mikhnov and Gongalsky could all end up in the KHL next season. Seeing young guys like Toryanik and Kvitchenko getting playing time in the KHL is a step in the right direction for Ukrainian hockey. As they continue to have more players playing top tier hockey it can only benefit the NT.

There's not much new I can say, I'm afraid. I follow Ukrainian hockey too much to not see that this revival is not happening properly and that you see positives where there are none. :)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Great to see Zakharov and Petrangovsky make it. Although I think Zakharov was scratched today haha. Petrangovsky has an assist, so it's great to see the juniors get involved!

Is he moving to Donbass in MHL next season? Do you have any info? Zakharov is under contract with Donbass, so he is going to play MHL for them.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah, you certainly are new here. :laugh:

There's not much new I can say, I'm afraid. I follow Ukrainian hockey too much to not see that this revival is not happening properly and that you see positives where there are none. :)

I`m sorry ozo,but you must be one of the most pessimistic posters around this part of the board :laugh:

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
Geez that was way too close. Tymchenko finally wins it in OT over the Dutch! Props to the Netherlands goalie though, 40 plus saves and only 2 goals allowed.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Ukraine should easily beat Poland and advance back to the division they belong in. This team would be in much better shape if the country could retain its best players, instead of losing them to Russia. Imagine Zherdev, Babchuk, Ponikarovsky, Fedotenko, Gaiduchenko, Vishnevsky and Tverdovsky all represented Ukraine (or at least on a regular basis)? Not to mention the amount of young players who have opted for Russian citizenship instead. This team could be competitive in the 1-A division with teams like Kazakhstan, Italy and Hungary, if not better than them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad