WC Bronze Medal GDT: Sweden vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
An Ape called Yoko said:
Swedes looks extremely tired from yesterday, and its like second period. But who cares really. Just gold counts baby.

I'm not sure how serious you are there with your last comment, but I think that's a pretty poor attitude to have. Finishing third is a damn sight better than finishing fourth and any athlete or competitor will tell you that. Not to say one should be satisified with it, but you have to take pride in these minor accomplishments.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
ceber said:
Fabulous! I don't care how many people would tune in... this should be on TV. ESPN should consider it a civic duty.

Man, ESPN Classic even shows bowling and pool now. Is there not an endless stock of great classic football, hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc games to show? It is bad enough they show watered-down versions of the games... but classic bowling? It really just makes me mad; thankfully internet broadcasting will get more feasible over the years.

Soon they'll probably come out with a new channel "ESPN Sports"... "All Sports All The Time", just like MTV had to come out with MTV2 so they could have A FRICKIN' MUSIC CHANNEL (and it is my understanding they don't show all music on there now anyhow).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
wilka91 said:
I hope that with new CBA in place, Semin and Ovechkin will remain in Russia for a few years. They'll make more bucks in the Superleague! :D

Maybe for the first year or two. But not after that. Especially if they play to their talent levels.

Playing for the first 3 or so under a Rookie Contract, getting the type of points Semin and Ovechkin are capable of, they're gonna see way more dough then they ever could in the NHL.

That 1.5 million or so for Ovechkin to stay in the RSL is peanuts compared to a 4-7 million (pending on how good he really is) a year he could make playing in the NHL. Not to mention the lifestyle is similarly different. Being close to home is important, but traveling tons of miles for Russia's games, and probably staying in 'different' accomedations, as opposed to a team jet, nice hotels, and pretty plush accomodations, I'm not sure how hard of a choice it would be.

Plus, if he's homesick, Ovechkin's bringing his mom over here for some of the time anyhow...

Now if Semin would just learn some English and stop diving some. :)

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Chimaera said:
Maybe for the first year or two. But not after that. Especially if they play to their talent levels.

Playing for the first 3 or so under a Rookie Contract, getting the type of points Semin and Ovechkin are capable of, they're gonna see way more dough then they ever could in the NHL.

That 1.5 million or so for Ovechkin to stay in the RSL is peanuts compared to a 4-7 million (pending on how good he really is) a year he could make playing in the NHL. Not to mention the lifestyle is similarly different. Being close to home is important, but traveling tons of miles for Russia's games, and probably staying in 'different' accomedations, as opposed to a team jet, nice hotels, and pretty plush accomodations, I'm not sure how hard of a choice it would be.

Plus, if he's homesick, Ovechkin's bringing his mom over here for some of the time anyhow...

Now if Semin would just learn some English and stop diving some. :)

Seems to me it doesn't matter when they start in the NHL next year, 2, 5 years from now they will still be subject to rookie/entry level contracts. Why not get that first one out of the way as soon as possible then when your in your prime you can start earning the big contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad