WC: WC 2018 - Team Russia

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Perfect matchups in the east. We get Malkin or Provorov and Panarin, Bob or OV, Kuzya, Orlov.

I can live with that.

If pending tomorrow's game we get TB vs. TOR it's Kucherov, Vasya, Sergachev or Zaytsev.

I like Zadorov, but Nasville will not steamroll them, just quietly outplay them and put the series in the books.

That means(I am predicting a bit, yes):

Panarin - Kuznetsov - Tarasenko
Ovechkin - Anisimov - Dadonov
Gusev - Namestnikov - Kaprizov
Buchnevich

Provorov - Zadorov
Orlov - Zaytsev

Bobrovskiy

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah lets play grinders like Telegin instead.
The grinders will be there because Znarok is there.

BUT what's your point? Those two are not on the team without grinders just the same. And to use the platitude - AINEC.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think you want Namestnikov as the 3C. He can't play center, and he's very average at winger, also. Looks like he was just carried by Kucherov and Stamkos. Take Shipachyov and Tkachyov instead. I think Georgiyev should have a good chance to make this team. He was very good in the NHL games he got this season.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016

Whatever you want to say about the NHL, there's no denying that the league is head and shoulders above the KHL in goaltending. So why is it ridiculous to say a .7 PPG clip in the NHL isn't comparable to a 1 PPG rate in the KHL?

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I don't think you want Namestnikov as the 3C. He can't play center, and he's very average at winger, also. Looks like he was just carried by Kucherov and Stamkos. Take Shipachyov and Tkachyov instead. I think Georgiyev should have a good chance to make this team. He was very good in the NHL games he got this season.

What about the awesome Radulov?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Whatever you want to say about the NHL, there's no denying that the league is head and shoulders above the KHL in goaltending. So why is it ridiculous to say a .7 PPG clip in the NHL isn't comparable to a 1 PPG rate in the KHL?
LOL Let me introduce you to math. There are 62 goaltenders in the NHL. 31 of them are backups many of whom couldn't be starters in the KHL. And I am being generous.

There are around 800 skaters who score goals in the NHL.

So if we simplify and keep it generous(and on a large scale it works more or less accurate) the 63rd best player in the world playing goaltender is where KHL goaltending begins. The 800+ best skater is where KHL skaters begin on the skill scale.

IRL it's way more in favor of the KHL, but let's stay with the model. So you say goaltending in the KHL is so inferior because like the 70th best guy in the world is in net? Do I need to explain to you what a 70th best skater is?

If anything the difference in skill is with the skaters. KHL's goaltending is way closer to the NHL than you probably are ready to imagine.

But here you go: Bobrovskiy was pretty mediocre stats wise on a bad KHL team. He is a superstar in the NHL. Ovechkin is the greatest goalscorer of the decade at least. His gpg in the NHL - 0.61. His gpg in the KHL during the lockout(i.e. in his prime) - 0.61. What happened to those inferior KHL goaltenders?

Please stop coming up with useless clips which are absolutely random to compare leagues. If you don't know enough about both leagues you can only rely onsuchh inadequate "tools", but you will never get a proper picture.

That's the big picture. And now stop selling me AHLers with 12 NHL games under the belt as russian NT material.

Mr.Zykov has a lot to prove. First of all play a full season in a big league AND perform, before there is even talk about the big team. It was his own choice to go through NA minors, so he still has no big league expirience at 22. No doors closed on him. Panarin had his breakout season at the same age. But please present us that season and then apply.

The poster I replied to claims we should pick AHLers with very limited NHL experience over proven stars. Sorry, not for me.

And yes, a player with a ppg full season in the KHL is by far a more secure pick than a successful AHL callup.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't want Namestnikov as a 3C. That's how scarce the position is for Russia. It is also obvious he was carried by linemates, but don't judge him just yet. He is not going to be a ppg player for you, but not hot garbage either.

As for options... I don't like Shipachyov and his attitude. Even Znarok doesn't like it and has already sent him to the press box for a while during the playoffs. On the other hand Znarok is allergic to Tkachyov. I just tried to be realistic taking Znarok into account.

And for all the greatness of Georgiev's stint goaltending is severely crowded. There is a good chance Bobrovskiy or Vasylevskiy or both will be available. Sorokin and Shesterkin are still there too. Nearly impossible mission for Georgiev.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I don't want Namestnikov as a 3C. That's how scarce the position is for Russia. It is also obvious he was carried by linemates, but don't judge him just yet. He is not going to be a ppg player for you, but not hot garbage either.

As for options... I don't like Shipachyov and his attitude. Even Znarok doesn't like it and has already sent him to the press box for a while during the playoffs. On the other hand Znarok is allergic to Tkachyov. I just tried to be realistic taking Znarok into account.

And for all the greatness of Georgiev's stint goaltending is severely crowded. There is a good chance Bobrovskiy or Vasylevskiy or both will be available. Sorokin and Shesterkin are still there too. Nearly impossible mission for Georgiev.

Sorokin has been so great for CSKA Moscow this season, I'd be a bit disappointed if he didn't get a spot.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sorokin has been so great for CSKA Moscow this season, I'd be a bit disappointed if he didn't get a spot.
I think he will. He always was a step ahead of Shesterkin oven on Znarok's depth chart and he has now suffocated his SKA to a win or die game in the series. The most probable case is Bobrovskiy(starter)+Sorokin(backup) for the WC.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

What if Tampa and Columbus both win their first series? Do you think Znarok would pick three younger goalies, whether the last one is Georgiyev or Samsonov, or do you think he'd do what he did at the Olympics and pick someone like Koshechkin to go along with Sorokin and Shestyorkin?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What if Tampa and Columbus both win their first series? Do you think Znarok would pick three younger goalies, whether the last one is Georgiyev or Samsonov, or do you think he'd do what he did at the Olympics and pick someone like Koshechkin to go along with Sorokin and Shestyorkin?
I doubt Samsonov will be considered. He decided to go NA as much as I heard. His next callup to the NT will be after the Vezina. Kidding. But as he leaves the close orbit of the NT that's understandable. Koshechkin is a big question mark. Only Znarok knows. It's not like he had great Olympics despite of the win, not perfect in the playoffs either. The thing is I can't imagine Znarok is that much aware of Georgiev's progress yet. And even if I doubt he consideres it enough for making a call. We will see.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Georgiev has not proven a damn thing. His numbers at all levels have been mediocre at best.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Btw they can wait out round 2 if both Bob and Vasya advance. Play with Sorokin and Shestyorkin through round robin and keep a spot free. Goaltenders' spots are separate too. They would not "waste" a spot of a skater by doing so.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kovalchuk officially confirmed he is ready. Datsyuk always a diplomat has not declined but gave his usual hint about youth.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Radulov declined as expected. As long as Znarok is coach we won't see him on the NT.

jimstark

May 22, 2014
Radulov declined as expected. As long as Znarok is coach we won't see him on the NT.

I hate that because he is a fighter and is still one of the best players Russia have.
I just read that Tarasenkov is out with a shoulder injury :(

What kind of team can we expect now?
I love Ovi and he has been amazing this season to my surprise almost 50 goals i would never have tought that but i dont want him to come over after another second round exit which is sadly for Caps expected yet again

I want a young and fast team and i want Telegin (how can you not love him ) and i really really hope for Panarin and that the Caps willl beat them in the first round

Had Panarin the first 20/25 games found a faster chemestry in Columbus he would be a contender for both the Art and MVP this guy is for my among the 5 best players in the world now and will be in the elite company in the NHL for years to come.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Not really concerned about Radulov's refusal to play. Russia has wingers coming out their ears.

Provorov would be a nice addition here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->