AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: featuring Val Puus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't see us retaining ZAR. Do you?

I'd be a little surprised if they didn't at least try. Hopefully all of the official site fluff pieces and ballwashing all the analytical darlings have done over the years convinces him that he's way too valuable and prices himself out of town.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I'd be a little surprised if they didn't at least try. Hopefully all of the official site fluff pieces and ballwashing all the analytical darlings have done over the years convinces him that he's way too valuable and prices himself out of town.
Why would you hope the Penguins lose a player who is almost certainly a better player than whoever would replace him?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Probably because he's up for a raise, and there are some promising early returns from internal replacement options.

Yes. I know I give ZAR a hard time here and there but he's a decent plug-and-play 3rd/4th line guy who isn't gonna hurt you. But he's a lot more nondescript than people seem to want to believe. And like you said is gonna be looking for a raise with a few guys behind him who can do at least an equal job, IMO. I don't hate ZAR or anything. I just don't see the hype everyone else does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure ZAR is a guy we could qualify and trade. He'd be cheap enough and is proven enough that it seems feasible - and I don't think his arbitration case is too scary.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes. I know I give ZAR a hard time here and there but he's a decent plug-and-play 3rd/4th line guy who isn't gonna hurt you. But he's a lot more nondescript than people seem to want to believe. And like you said is gonna be looking for a raise with a few guys behind him who can do at least an equal job, IMO. I don't hate ZAR or anything. I just don't see the hype everyone else does.

Yeah, ZAR is exactly the sort of player the Pens should be replacing with a cheap ELC when it comes time for a raise. Sure he's solid defensively and his analytics are good, but c'mon...the guy's a forward who has a career-high of 17 points. Those numbers are barely acceptable for a good defensive defenseman. Dumoulin's career-high is 23.

I'm not shedding any tears if ZAR moves on and we get to see what Zohorna can do full-time.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, ZAR is exactly the sort of player the Pens should be replacing with a cheap ELC when it comes time for a raise. Sure he's solid defensively and his analytics are good, but c'mon...the guy's a forward who has a career-high of 17 points. Those numbers are barely acceptable for a good defensive defenseman. Dumoulin's career-high is 23.

I'm not shedding any tears if ZAR moves on and we get to see what Zohorna can do full-time.

To be fair 2/3rd’s of his full seasons have been shortened seasons due to Covid. His first one was injury.

He’d have 32, 19, 29 the past 3 years over a full year. Last season he was poor but at least he looked to improve himself which he has.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To be fair 2/3rd’s of his full seasons have been shortened seasons due to Covid. His first one was injury.

He’d have 32, 19, 29 the past 3 years over a full year. Last season he was poor but at least he looked to improve himself which he has.

The problem, though, is that he hasn't proven to be a guy who can stay in the line-up.

If you're actually putting up those numbers, that's one thing. But this is a 4th liner whose career best "on pace for" is 32 points, and given his injury issues so far that's a lot more wishful thinking than anything. Durability has not been a strong suit for him.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Sadly, no Bjorkqvist season debut today.

Nice forechecking by Bellerive and Miletic lead to a Robert goal.

Unconfirmed, but I think Connor McMichael of the Bears has scored all 11 of his goals this season against the Pens. :laugh: Just checked, it's only 5 goals.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sadly, no Bjorkqvist season debut today.

Nice forechecking by Bellerive and Miletic lead to a Robert goal.

Unconfirmed, but I think Connor McMichael of the Bears has scored all 11 of his goals this season against the Pens. :laugh: Just checked, it's only 5 goals.

Wilkes-Barre debut Wednesday's!

Reactions: Randy Butternubs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad