Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Tamger will be gone and Sheary

Hags will probably get a Home discount or small 2years deal.. imo Hags will still be will the Penguins for 2-4 years. I would love for him to stay for cheap deal..

I see Sheary gone and Letang gone for sure no matter what ..

Rutherford was trying hard to trade Letang in December.. Rutherford will try again and get a decent return and go from there..
It’s about two -three that can handle top minutes.. I hope Rutherford can get Jacob Trouba or someone who think can fairly be put on the second pairing spot for the Penguins.

If Penguins wanna succeed further with the great good D core they have its best to remove injury prone Letang. It’s many reasons to move Letang regardless the return. It’s asinine to trade great young defensemen with great upside to keep a 7mil guy like Letang.. He done good for the organization but it’s time to move on. Sorry . Letang is injury waiting to happen again next season that will leave him IR for 25+ games..
I have faith in Shultz,Rig , Dumoulin and Määttä to get the job done with one or two additions..
I wouldn’t mind seeing Pedan and Tindori getting there feet wet .. Trotman as well..

1) We are not getting Trouba period. Do you even understand what you are talking about in suggesting we are going to trade for a young guy who could be an all-star #1D on a team that is entering its phase of being perhaps the most prominent Cup contender over the next 5 years?

2) I'm not against trading Letang if we replace him with someone who could fill his spot (like signing John Carlson as a UFA). But to dump him just for the sake of it, and then enter a phase of of having no #1 kind of Dman when we're already stacked up front?

3) Schultz could end up leaving when his contract is up, and we would be screwed if we lost both without a legitimate PP/QB and top 1-2 Dman coming back.

We are going to be losing as FA's or trading: Hunwick, Sheary, Hagelin. That's $10M in cap space with a Cap that is going up $3-4M (at least) every season. That's more than enough to cover both Guentzel, Murray, Rust and whomever else we need to extend, and then some IMO.

What you are suggesting sounds more like video game GM'ing rather than pragmatically thinking about how to manage the roster of a team that wants to maximize its competitiveness over the next 4-year Cup windoow.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Has he been so good that it would hurt to lose him? I haven’t watched any WBS games this year.

Well at hes at least shown some potential of being an Oleskiak with more offense. Would like to see him given a chance next year.

And with Bengsston choosing to leave to..

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Has he been so good that it would hurt to lose him? I haven’t watched any WBS games this year.
Well, the rub is he was injured a bit this year, but in the games he did play he did okay on paper. He's big, fast, has offensive upside. Yes I would hate to lose him to the KHL or anything else.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Well, I guess Pedan is gone. Bit of bad luck for our org I think. We need some D in the system with which to hang some hopes and put some pressure on our current NHL guys. Maybe Prow? I dunno...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well, I guess Pedan is gone. Bit of bad luck for our org I think. We need some D in the system with which to hang some hopes and put some pressure on our current NHL guys. Maybe Prow? I dunno...

Headed to KHL. Of course. Just when I thought we might have a decent D prospect.

The Derrick Pouliot circus is finally over tho. From drafting him over other talent - to keeping him over Kapanen- to trading for Pedan(and thinking he might provide some value).

What a nightmare that was.

Last edited:
Reactions: AverageJoeFan

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Headed to KHL. Of course. Just when I thought we might have a decent D prospect.

The Derrick Pouliot circus is finally ovet tho. From drafting him over other talent - to keeping him over Kapanen- to trading for Pedan(and thinking he might provide some value).

What a nightmare that was.
I think that is what annoys me the most. We ended up with absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Has there been any news about Dunn or Lindberg from the Brassard trade?
I highly doubt they retain Dunn who is an ECHLer at best.

Lindberg inhave no idea, he has some upside, but i found it strange he stayed with his old team. Maybe that was agreed upon and he was just a paper transaction

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but I just learned this. WBS signed Masonius to an AHL contract for next season, so he's forgoing his senior year to turn pro. It has probably already been mentioned, it happened like a month ago, but I just learned this today.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Should be easy to replace with Lafferty, Angello, Miletic and maybe Lindberg incoming.

I’m mildly interested in seeing if we keep Gardiner, who had a good year in the ECHL but probably wants a better shot at playing every day in the A.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I highly doubt they retain Dunn who is an ECHLer at best.

Lindberg inhave no idea, he has some upside, but i found it strange he stayed with his old team. Maybe that was agreed upon and he was just a paper transaction

Chicago Wolves are notorious for being more about themselves than being a "developmental team" so I wouldn't put it past them saying "no, he's playing we need him to win," and that's why he didn't come to WBS.

But I really hope he joins WBS next season.

But yeah, I remember reading about teams being reluctant to partner with the Chicago Wolves as they run as an independently owned AHL team, whereas I think most NHL teams have some ownership in the affiliates, etc.

The Wolves have always been that way from what I can remember.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Feels like WBS have lost more players than usual this summer.

There's usually a fair amount of turnover from players in the AHL who were signed as UFAs or on AHL-only deals. They often go somewhere that they think will give them a better chance of making it to the NHL. Quinney was on an AHL-only deal in WB/S. He just signed an NHL contract with the Knights.

Summer 2017, the Baby Pens lost the following players in free agency:
Sahir Gill, Christian Hilbrich, Adam Krause, Kevin Porter, Tim Erixon, Cameron Gaunce, Barry Goers, Stuart Percy, Ryan Segalla, and David Warsofsky. That's 10 players, not including PTOs who weren't signed. Some of those were guys the Pens decided not to bring back, and some were guys who decided they'd rather go elsewhere. Looking back at the previous season, I count 12 that were lost in the '16 offseason (not even including players who were in the ECHL on AHL/ECHL contracts).

This season, they've officially lost 4 players so far: Tom Kostopoulos (retirement), Gage Quinney (Knights), Lukas Bengtsson (Europe), and Andrey Pedan (Europe). Looking over the list of free agents and who will be joining the ranks next season, I do think they could hit a higher than usual number of losses... but they signed a lot more UFAs last offseason than normal. There are 19 UFAs from the AHL/ECHL rosters in addition to the four above. Some of them will probably be retained, but many of them will either be replaced internally or with new free agents.

I could see the Pens retaining Reid Gardiner, and since they like having an enforcer in the AHL, they'll probably bring back Sestito. Dylan Zink is a candidate for them to try to retain as well. Beyond that, will it really be any loss if they lose Tinordi, Trotman or Jooris, for example? Lots of those players are a dime a dozen and easily replaceable in free agency, or via the incoming prospects that are already going to join the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->