WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be completely fine with waiving Kuhnhackl and calling up Sprong, to be honest. Play Sprong with Malkin, Kessel with McKegg and Hagelin on the 4th line with Rowney and Reaves. At least with that lineup, your 4th line isn't as bad as what it was before.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'd be completely fine with waiving Kuhnhackl and calling up Sprong, to be honest. Play Sprong with Malkin, Kessel with McKegg and Hagelin on the 4th line with Rowney and Reaves. At least with that lineup, your 4th line isn't as bad as what it was before.

Kuhn is not going to be waived. Sully likes him. He's a good PKer and helped set up the short handed goal last night. If anyone is going to be waived, it'll be Archie
But I'd be fine with that if we could bring up Sprong....

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Honestly, a Sheary-McKeeg-Reaves fourth line would be good once we trade for a 3C. Rather Hags play with Kessel i’m top 9.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I really hope Sprong starts torching the AHL now that he's had his first 3 point night. Keep up the goal pace up and dominate shift after shift. He now leads the baby Pens in points at 6, the next is 3.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
For those keeping track of the goalie situation down there (Niemi related), it looks like DeSmith has been outplaying Jarry early on.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's assuming we'd lose someone like Kuhnhackl or Archibald to waivers.

Pretty good chance of that, and not a chance I'd be willing to take just to shoehorn Sprong into the big club's line-up. His opportunities will come, and we need the depth.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pretty good chance of that, and not a chance I'd be willing to take just to shoehorn Sprong into the big club's line-up. His opportunities will come, and we need the depth.

Agreed. Kuhn and Archie are NHL players. Maybe nothing special relative to what other teams have in the 13th hole, but there's no reason to risk it. Scoring hasn't been a problem in the early going and we will have injuries. Let Sprong dominate for 20 games and when the first top 9 winger injury happens, then recall him.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
For those keeping track of the goalie situation down there (Niemi related), it looks like DeSmith has been outplaying Jarry early on.

Lucky for us we have solid young goalies coming up
Also very fortunate that JR only gave Niemi a 1 year deal
Now, we just need to cross our fingers that Murray does not get hurt!

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Ultimately what will (or at least SHOULD) happen is good ole JR will trade for a true 3C, using a winger on the big roster as part of the package, which will free up a spot for Sprong AND allow us to move McKegg down to the 4C which is where he really should be on a title contender.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ultimately what will (or at least SHOULD) happen is good ole JR will trade for a true 3C, using a winger on the big roster as part of the package, which will free up a spot for Sprong AND allow us to move McKegg down to the 4C which is where he really should be on a title contender.

Sounds good, but what winger has enough value for a true 3C? Sheary is the only one that comes to mind and I don't know if I want to trade him unless the 3C is young and has a fairly high ceiling (high end 3C, low end 2C)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Sounds good, but what winger has enough value for a true 3C? Sheary is the only one that comes to mind and I don't know if I want to trade him unless the 3C is young and has a fairly high ceiling (high end 3C, low end 2C)

We don't.

Guentzel, Hornqvist, Kessel, Hagelin and Sheary aren't being moved for a 3C.

Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Reaves don't have enough value for one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprong does come up to the big leagues as some point this season, but the longer he is in the AHL this season the better, to me.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Well obviously we're talking about a package, which is what I said originally. I'm not saying a bottom 6 winger will net us a 3C but if you asked me to choose between Rust and Sheary I'm taking Rusty every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Guy is a big game player and produces regardless of where he is put in the lineup (relative to his talent). Sheary is expendable IMO, IF it were in conjunction with a big upgrade at the 3C, which is going to be vastly more important this year in terms of repeating. We need depth down the middle. Right now we have none. I'd trade Sheary and a pick for a 3C and bring up Sprong in the near future, provided we get a legit 3C in return.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well obviously we're talking about a package, which is what I said originally. I'm not saying a bottom 6 winger will net us a 3C but if you asked me to choose between Rust and Sheary I'm taking Rusty every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Guy is a big game player and produces regardless of where he is put in the lineup (relative to his talent). Sheary is expendable IMO, IF it were in conjunction with a big upgrade at the 3C, which is going to be vastly more important this year in terms of repeating. We need depth down the middle. Right now we have none. I'd trade Sheary and a pick for a 3C and bring up Sprong in the near future, provided we get a legit 3C in return.

I would too, but it needs to be a legit good 3C. I'm struggling to think of anyone realistic that I'd trade Sheary for.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Agreed. Kuhn and Archie are NHL players. Maybe nothing special relative to what other teams have in the 13th hole, but there's no reason to risk it. Scoring hasn't been a problem in the early going and we will have injuries. Let Sprong dominate for 20 games and when the first top 9 winger injury happens, then recall him.
Yup. Also, people forget that Sprong is learning Sully's system right now. His NHL stint was under MJ's system. No matter how much he scores, he's still gaining valuable experience and should be able to make the jump seamlessly when the time comes.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'm fine with moving Hagelin, Sheary or Horny + picks for a high quality 3C with some term on their contract. We have winger depth and those guys are on the downswing of their careers. Not sure if anyone wants that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->