WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
33 save shutout by Casey DeSmith and two power play goals by the Penguins special teams coupled with being perfect on the penalty kill propel the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins to their first win of the season, 5-0 over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
Goals by Tom Sestito, Daniel Sprong, Frank Corrado, J-S Dea and Dominik Simon.

Reactions: TNT87

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Lineup was:

Aston-Reese--Blueger--Sprong
Simon-Johnson-Thomas
Wilson-Dea-Kostopoulos
Sestito-Burton-Di Pauli

Pedan-Bengtsson
Trotman-Czuczman
Zink-Corrado

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like the Sprong goals and all, but I'd like to see him producing consistently 5-on-5 before he comes up.

Reactions: 66-30-33

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yup and 2 out of his 3 goals have came from the same spot. This is one huge reason I have always thought Sprong could LW successfully. On top of the video evidence, Sprong has said he's comfortable on either side.
Would love to see him on the 2nd PP and be able to have that shot/setup as a different look than we usually have.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Wilson had the other goal.

Wheeling Watch....23 year old Hunter Fejes almost had a 5 goal game tonight. 24 yr old Garrett Meurs has 4 goals through 2 games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
All of Sprongs goals have been on the PP. Hopefully he starts getting ES goals soon.

Yeah, but he'd look really good playing on the Pens PP units.
Wonder if there have been any comments about his ES play overall. I check the local paper there but there's been nothing

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Starting to visualize one day where Schultz is at the top of the powerplay, Geno is in his one time spot, and Sprong is in his one time spot. Those are 3 shooters on the umbrella. The PK has no chance but to stay neutral. Sprong CLEARLY loves the puck in that Lemieux spot. Maybe a little higher than where Mario stood. Geno absolutely loves that half wall. And Schultz loves shooting anything and everything.

I am about to drool thinking of that top of the umbrella with Horny/Jake and Sid down low.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Starting to visualize one day where Schultz is at the top of the powerplay, Geno is in his one time spot, and Sprong is in his one time spot. Those are 3 shooters on the umbrella. The PK has no chance but to stay neutral. Sprong CLEARLY loves the puck in that Lemieux spot. Maybe a little higher than where Mario stood. Geno absolutely loves that half wall. And Schultz loves shooting anything and everything.

I am about to drool thinking of that top of the umbrella with Horny/Jake and Sid down low.

I like the Sprong goals and all, but I'd like to see him producing consistently 5-on-5 before he comes up.

Both of these. He's everything we need on the left side of the PP, but #1PP time is hard enough even for a talent like Guentzel to get his hands on here, so Sprong's gonna have to produce at ES before he gets a call-up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yep. It's not a "one day" fantasy either. It could happen Tuesday if they just bring Sprong up and Sully parks Letang on PP2. Come to think of it, maybe it is a fantasy after all....

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

In this scenario of yours, did Letang retire due to another injury?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Both of these. He's everything we need on the left side of the PP, but #1PP time is hard enough even for a talent like Guentzel to get his hands on here, so Sprong's gonna have to produce at ES before he gets a call-up.

Guentzel doesn't really bring anything new to the power play though. Sprong does. I guess that doesn't really counter your point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad