Value of: Wayne Simmonds UFA contract

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rightly or wrongly, Staal signing for 2 x 3.25M has lowered the bar for a lot of aging vets. Simmonds might have to sign a one year prove it contract. Kind of sucks for him, but he picked a bad time to for his play to decline.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Rightly or wrongly, Staal signing for 2 x 3.25M has lowered the bar for a lot of aging vets. Simmonds might have to sign a one year prove it contract. Kind of sucks for him, but he picked a bad time to for his play to decline.
He's only 30. It would be nice to think he could have a rebound somewhere in the next few years still. But I'm not sure teams are going to be willing to gamble money on that until he does.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's only 30. It would be nice to think he could have a rebound somewhere in the next few years still. But I'm not sure teams are going to be willing to gamble money on that until he does.

Age by ittself isn't the determining factor but wear and tear and Simmonds has through alot of wear and tear with how he plays. Teams should be weary of that.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I really wish we’d traded him last year. He shouldn’t get more than 2 years and 4th line money.

Welcome to Edmonton Wayne!

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Regardless of what he is worth, he'll likely get overpaid to go somewhere this offseason. $4.5-5 million/year would be my guess.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
1 year 2.5m from the Leafs would be my offer.
I'm assuming we are moving Marleau July 2nd to go retire for a team with crap ton of cap space.
Give him a 'show us' deal. Give him some net front time on PP2, and put him in Marleaus spot as the 3LW behind AJ and Hyman.

Wouldn't want to go over a year because he has not had a strong season, and a kind of abysmal last 25ish games.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
He will be in the KHL next year at best. He isn't an NHL level player anymore, he could be solid in a lesser European League, DEL anyone?

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Simmonds has been having a really bad year, how much has it affected his ufa value?

It’s almost certain some old school GM will give him a contract they’ll instantly regret, but what would you pay him?

I totally forgot he is playing in Nashville, completely invisible.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Some GM will probably give him stupid money but he’ll end up being pretty comparable to Ladd, Lucic and Backes. He should be about $3 million for 3/4 years

Ladd was who came to mind reading this thread.
Entering the season he would finish at age 31 (same as Simmonds) NYI gave Ladd 7x$5.5M
Andrew Ladd - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That seems too much to me,
but it only takes one offer like that for it happen

Bond

May 10, 2012
Does Simmonds still have the tough guy and hard to play against trope working for him? If so, he is going to be this year's Jame Neal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am a huge Simmer fan. But there is no way he gets that.
PS if he does his agent should get some sort of medal.
Recent performance is the best indicator for what a player may do going forward especially when they hit 30.

Simmonds I would doubt ever hits 50 points again. Maybe a shot at 40 in the right situation but to me he’s a 30 point guy. Short term at maybe $3 million per year.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Recent performance is the best indicator for what a player may do going forward especially when they hit 30.

Simmonds I would doubt ever hits 50 points again. Maybe a shot at 40 in the right situation but to me he’s a 30 point guy. Short term at maybe $3 million per year.

His max for me is 3 x 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad