Confirmed with Link: Wayne Simmonds traded to Nashville for Ryan Hartman + conditional 4th

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Elliotte Freidman on the 31 thoughts podcast said that Fletcher was working on a deal with Winnipeg, but came apart when Josh Morrissey got hurt and the Jets had to turn their focus after completing the Hayes trade.

Also he doesn't think Simmonds rejected a trade to Calgary, a deal with them was not as close. The trade that was made was sort of always there, if it was made earlier, the 4th probably would've been a 2nd it sounded like

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
He's just a much better fit than Simmonds for a 3rd line line with Laughton and JVR, or Patrick and Laughton.

I hope Simmer does great in Nashville and gets a big deal from some Western team.
I watched Nashville play the other day, and i saw Simmonds trying to back check, and failed. And had some sloppy passes in the Neutral zone and i was like "phew, thank god he's not doing that to us anymore.."

Simmer was awesome from 2012-2016
after that he started to decline. And he will continue too.

Hartman on the other hand is 24, plenty of hockey still in him. And should be ideal for the next 3/4 years on our 3rd/4th line.

I assume Nashville will win a round of playoff hockey, so a 3rd round pick will be nice as well.

We won that trade, weather people see it or not.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I watched Nashville play the other day, and i saw Simmonds trying to back check, and failed. And had some sloppy passes in the Neutral zone and i was like "phew, thank god he's not doing that to us anymore.."

Simmer was awesome from 2012-2016
after that he started to decline. And he will continue too.

Hartman on the other hand is 24, plenty of hockey still in him. And should be ideal for the next 3/4 years on our 3rd/4th line.

I assume Nashville will win a round of playoff hockey, so a 3rd round pick will be nice as well.

We won that trade, weather people see it or not.

I think they prefer to be called meteorologists.

;)

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I like the kid now. Scored his first goal and on former flyers legend val fillpula no less. Simmer on the other hand?:whatever: Sample size on him being cooked just keeps growing. I honestly wouldn't want him back even for 2 mil aav. He would just keep taking away valuable ice time from talented players.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
That would have been fun, in the Jets fans go bonkers kind of way. We were told by multiple posters that there was no way, no how that Simmonds was wanted by the Jets. Then again, many of us were pretty adamant that Simmonds was returning a 1st+.

And we were absolutely right!

First round pick (Ryan Hartman) + a 3rd, or 4th. :D

I hope Simmer has a great playoff run with Nash, but his days as a Flyer are over.

Too many young players coming up to resign him, and it's hard to see how Fletch would be nostalgic about bringing him back. I guess Homer and Dave Scott could possibly tip the balance, but that wouldn't be smart.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And we were absolutely right!

First round pick (Ryan Hartman) + a 3rd, or 4th. :D

I hope Simmer has a great playoff run with Nash, but his days as a Flyer are over.

Too many young players coming up to resign him, and it's hard to see how Fletch would be nostalgic about bringing him back. I guess Homer and Dave Scott could possibly tip the balance, but that wouldn't be smart.

I disagree that Hartmans value is equivalent to a late 1st. Just like I dont value Laughton as a late 1st either.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hartman's value is a late 2nd, he's a marginal 3rd line/solid 4th line forward, similar to Laughton, who wouldn't return you a 1st rd pick in a trade either.
Hartman is going to be a frustrating player on the 3rd line b/c of that inconsistency, just like Laughton.
Put them both on the 4th line with a PEB like center and that would be a good checking line.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I disagree that Hartmans value is equivalent to a late 1st. Just like I dont value as a late 1st either.

Reb, I agree with your disagreement and was just kidding around about Hartman's value.

I thought Simmer could bring a first, but that didn't happen.

That said, Hartman is looking like he could be a valuable guy going forward.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Ryan Hartman is on a teams 4th line they have the best winger depth in the NHL... he is objectively an above average 3rd line scorer in the NHL and has been since he entered the league.

In actuality per minute he has pretty consistently scored at 2nd line level.

His defensive play and discipline is not very good though from what ive seen. Should be a solid offensive contributor moving forward but hes definitely not a "complete" player.

Reactions: wasup

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Ryan Hartman is on a teams 4th line they have the best winger depth in the NHL... he is objectively an above average 3rd line scorer in the NHL and has been since he entered the league.

In actuality per minute he has pretty consistently scored at 2nd line level.
And that is what is exciting in that if we added a Panarin, Hartman DOES become a 4th liner for us. That's a super deep team. Only 1 guy away from this!

Reactions: AdamParrot

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They don't even need that drastic of an upgrade, add a Kapanen, or Laczynski shows he's ready in camp, add a solid RHD, and Frost.
If Farabee or Ratcliffe are ready next fall, even better!
But give the kids a year before you raise expectations too high, few rookies come in and dominate in the NHL.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's really likely Toronto does something with one of their forwards.

Interesting that a lot of the Leafs fans are not happy with the first line because Johnsson, Kapanen and Matthews are all shooters first. Kinda weird right? We've never had a line like that. He'd be a good fit.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Went to the latest Nashville GDT... seems like a lot of them are turning on the coaching staff.

I get that this may be a discussion for a different topic but.... man, if Lavy becomes available again... should they??

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Went to the latest Nashville GDT... seems like a lot of them are turning on the coaching staff.

I get that this may be a discussion for a different topic but.... man, if Lavy becomes available again... should they??

ya easily. A bunch of talented forwards, defensemen who can move the puck and skate, needs more jam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad